• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is Facebook taking over the world?

genericname

...otherwise it's not truely deleted - as you can sign right back on...

That's how they get you. Deleting your account actually just puts it in a temporary hibernation of sorts. If you log back in within three months or so, it cancels the deletion process, and everything reverts to normal. You need to hit the big 'ol delete button, then wait three months without going near the bloody website, before your account's actually gone.

And even then, let's face it, they still have all your previous information.

signswi

I'm just glad non-techie people like you guys are talking about this. The "Facebook's goal is to create a second internet that they own" conversation has been happening in tech circles for at least six years and it's a legitimate concern. People never think before they opt in to giving over information.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm just glad non-techie people like you guys are talking about this. The "Facebook's goal is to create a second internet that they own" conversation has been happening in tech circles for at least six years and it's a legitimate concern. People never think before they opt in to giving over information.

Kind of like AOL but without the monthly access fee?

signswi

Kind of like AOL but without the monthly access fee?

Similar in that they're both gardens but Facebook's danger is that it isn't a walled garden and their value proposition is much more enticing. Facebook is more like kudzu.

The Facebook OpenGraph system is being integrated everywhere, letting Facebook spider across the internet in ways AOL never could have dreamed of (and they're entirely different profit models...).

Techman

I don't think it's an invasion of privacy though.

This tracking is the very same that was rejected as an invasion just a few years ago. Remember those signatures that listed your IP address and location?
This facebook tracking is the very same. It reports your actions back to a main server and that info is sold to marketing firms.

Read the ULA's It tells all. Most ULA's tell you they are collecting information.

Also, "they" claim that your personally identifiable information is not revealed. This is not true. All our machines have a unique id and profile that is easily tracked back to you and your profile.

We have to remember. Our usage and electronic signal is out on the web. The entire web. It can be sniffed and read by any one with the right tools.

signswi

That's just basic cookie fear, every major site on the internet uses cookies. OpenGraph is an entirely different beast.