• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is it possible to do single pass cut of 3003 1/8" diamond plate aluminum handheld????

AF

Use a downspiral single flute HSS bit with Edge Creme cutting fluid. It will easily cut through 1/8" aluminum. The downspiral keeps the chips out of your router and face. The downspiral also pulls the Edge Creme cutting fluid into the cut. Make a template out of MDF and use a template guide on your router. You will cut this in a single pass. Clean up the cut as needed with a file and deburring tool. Cheap and simple using the tools and skills you already possess.

Example of the router bit to use: http://www.sentineldoor.com/MJ_HIT45RB4

Edge Creme: http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/631

Last edited:

MikePro

INCORRECT TOOLS?

give me a break, before there was cnc machines, we all somehow managed with the incorrect tools.

jigsaw or a bandsaw came before our CNC router, and they were still considered the correct tools.
buuuut if you wanna use a rock instead of a hammer, by all means.
I still think you would be better-off rough-cutting with a jigsaw prior to hitting it with your router. Router bits cut cleaner and last much longer when you don't overwork them. Even if you manage to keep your bit from snapping, you'll most likely get the aluminum so hot that it will start tearing rather than cutting.... and completely ruin your finished diamond plate.

I like the post above about the cutting creme. Never used the stuff before, but would be interested to see it work. We just simply spray with WD40 as we cut aluminum with our handheld router or table saw.

aluminumwelder

Use a downspiral single flute HSS bit with Edge Creme cutting fluid. It will easily cut through 1/8" aluminum.

thanks I ordered some spiral bits I'll test out and report back. I'm currently using Green Anchor Lube paste, looks similar in consistency to your Edge Creme cuting fluid but only $26 a gallon from mcmaster. I appreciate the on target response.