• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is it safe to send out a PDF file thats locked

JR's

Is it safe to send out a PDF file thats locked, to a client to look at? or is there a crack out there that they could use to open a PDF to print it? or steal it.

Or what would be the best way to send sketches?

Thanks
JR

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i've already brought pdf's that are locked/password protected into composer with absolutely no problem....i use primopdf and set the resolution at screen at the lowest dpi setting....if the customer wants to see it crisper, they can come in and look at a print out that doesn't leave the shop...

CL Graphics

i save my pdf proofs out of photoshop at 72 dpi and scale the file down to around 8.5 x 11. It loses all the vector info and isnt clean enough for someone to scan and use without totally recreating the file. No matter what they will always figure a way out to print it out.

Techman

they will always walk. no matter what you tell them.

They do not look at your work as something of value.

One lamer took my drawing and filed a stop payment. Said it wasn't worth it.
Went to the local court and got a judgment of double the check face value as is the rule for most states.

mark in tx

Google "pdf pass word remover"

These programs basically just resave the pdf and "forget" to save the password.

pdf format is insecure, always has been, but it works for 95% of the general public, so that's good enough.

Low resolution jpeg is about the best you can do, but it won't stop a determined person.

heyskull

If I send out proofs they are only low quality Jpegs if the customer wants anything better they have to pay for it.

SC

G-Artist

Don't ask me how I know but any protection PDF has ever had was cracked within
the week it first appeared...and the tools to do so can be easily found (for free)
if you know where to look.

Keith Rae

Save as email resolution jpeg 72 dpi, 1024 by 768 pixel, and watermark on print copyrighted by your company. Then no misunderstanding of ownership.

johnnyblazedog

PDF password Crack

I work in the prepress department for an offset and digital shop. Locked PDF's are USELESS!!! We bought software for about $20 bucks to unlock any pdf and have full access. IM thinking going with 72dpi low res and watermark would be the way to go.

sjm

I work in the prepress department for an offset and digital shop. Locked PDF's are USELESS!!! We bought software for about $20 bucks to unlock any pdf and have full access. IM thinking going with 72dpi low res and watermark would be the way to go.

Yah, a low res pdf serves the same purpose. Of course if someone is trying to steel your idea water marks will not help.

Pat Whatley

Charging them up front for the artwork works a whole lot better. If they take the art and want to go somewhere else you've already gotten paid.