• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is mobile sign service a good investment?

ddarlak

Go Bills!
it's a bad investment.

I can't see how being "mobile" helps you in any way.

where the signs are produced doesn't really help with creating a successful business

spend the money on equipment that will help you earn more or gain new customers

Pinhole

I just read this thread and wanted to follow up with the OP and see which route they went. I too have a similar idea, but was planning on tailoring it to craft shows, fairs, and swap meets offering a limited selection of products that will be custom ordered and produced on-site.

gnubler

Interesting thread, but sounds like a nightmare business idea.
I have a hard enough time with the random person that walks into my shop, almost always a waste of time.
To go to them and have to deal with person after person all day for a $12 decal might make your head explode. Everyone's gonna want something tweaked or changed, or want to watch/help with the process, or chit chat the day away.

Pinhole

Interesting thread, but sounds like a nightmare business idea.
I have a hard enough time with the random person that walks into my shop, almost always a waste of time.
To go to them and have to deal with person after person all day for a $12 decal might make your head explode. Everyone's gonna want something tweaked or changed, or want to watch/help with the process, or chit chat the day away.
I definitely see what you are saying in regards to decals. I am thinking of offering photos on framed canvas. A limited number of sizes and treatments done to said canvas. Basically, bring me a photo on your phone and leave the event with a personalized piece. Not exactly a sign per se, but the idea of a mobile operation is what brought me here.

gnubler

Sounds like a frickin' nightmare. You're going to be dealing with sh!tty low-res images, be prepared for complaints about quality & color from Suzy Soccer Mom who doesn't like what she sees. Half the people that walk in to my shop have no idea how to get a file or photo off their phone...then it turns into tech support 101 for 15 minutes.
If I had to do a job like that I'd keep a steady supply of booze under the desk just to cope with all the custom requests and complaints.

Pinhole

Good point in regards to getting the photos off a phone. Thanks for the input. The booze under the desk is always a possibility!

If anyone else has any experience with similar business, please chime in!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
But you'd be miserable in your pool sloping down a pina colada in your speedo...................... :covereyes:

gnubler

I thought this was about making signs/decals in a cargo trailer?
If it's poolside with cocktails, then go for it!

gnubler

That, plus climate control and dust. Same reason I don't print in-house at the moment, I need to build out a clean room first.

Years ago when I worked at a commercial printer they purchased a direct to garment printer. I was trained by one of their techs and he got my boss all excited about the possibility of taking the printer to events and printing tshirts for people on demand. I literally wanted to blow my brains out as they were discussing this, seeing as I'd be the operator. It sounded like a horrible idea and I'm so glad it never came to fruition.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Well I don’t live in any certain neighborhood or town that doesn’t allow you to park trailers outside. That’s in places like Saint Augustine. I’m not really worried about anything like that.
Just because the allow the trailers in a residential area doesn't (necessarily) mean they'll allow a wrapped one- which often makes it fall into a commercial vehicle or advertising category that many don't allow. Best to check your local ordinances.

Many others have made the important points, though, regarding your idea- among them, it's not a great idea to put your valuable equipment into a trailer (unless you're talking a container-type trailer with airshocks, etc., to mitigate rough rides), the flea market thing is time consuming precisely because of the browsers/talkers, the abundance of quickie shops, etc.
So yeah, use your trailer for equipment storage and your installs. If your area allows it, wrap it (or at least put a name and number/website on it)- and make sure you use hi-performance materials that last. Nothing will be more off putting to a potential customer than a sign shop with bad graphics or a vehicle wrap or vinyl that's peeling, fading, etc.
Good luck.

gnubler

Maybe slightly on-topic, but I just had a customer decide against getting his work trailer wrapped because of tool theft concerns. He said trailers sitting at construction sites branded with a logo are just targets for overnight tweaker rampages and break-ins.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They have insurance, don't they ?? Most places, it's mandatory commercial equipment & vehicles are decaled and with contractor numbers.