• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is my pricing outrageous?

thinksigns

SnowFlake
I got an email from a local guy yesterday asking for a price for a 26" x 240" banner. I quoted him $320.00
He emailed back this morning thanking me for the quote, but my price was about 3 times higher than the other quotes he received.
So his retail cost is $2.67 / ft Ugh!!

Letterbox Mike

Every market is different, for 13oz banners, hemmed with grommets we charge $5 p.s.f. so we'd be about $217 for that. If your market can bear $7.39 p.s.f. then by all means get it, I don't think it's an outrageous price (well, it is for Dayton, OH), but banners are a commodity, there's always someone willing to sell them retail for $2 psf or less so don't worry about it too much.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't normally go into numbers out here, but even at $320, you're going in cheap for a custom made banner.

I'm sure whatever he got was off the internet and some real cheap material and he'll be cursing to everybody [except you] how he got ripped off. That's basically a wholesale price which is just plain wrong to an end-user.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
Thanks to everyone for their info. I'm glad to know I wasn't off base. I thanked him for the opportunity and asked him to keep us in mind next time. We'll see.

HulkSmash

I wish i could get that for a banner. everything around here is about 5 bucks a sqft.

I would never sell a banner at that price. And in Memphis, that is priced a bit too high in my opinion.

WildWestDesigns

$7.20 is pretty hard to get in Williamson County TN and if it's hard to get here it's going to be hard to get in Shelby County TN unless you are lucky to have customers that don't do a lot of shopping around. Too many options around here to have that luxury.

petesign

We're at about $5 a square foot here... and i still get undercut sometimes. Lots of competition in my market though.

Billct2

Some say this is my price, design not included. Others don't mention that part.
So some of you are getting $7.50-$10 s/f printing only?

GraphixUnlimited

billct2, yep... but again... canada.. i dunno what a bundle of say.. ij180cv3 with 8518 goes for but im gonna bet we pay a lot more up here than you guys down there.

royster13

Your price was obviously "outrageous" to your potential client because they told you so...What you or others here think is not relevant if you losing out on sales....

KARYN BUSH

so its about 44sq ft...If I did 13oz I would charge $4/sf ($175)and if it was 18oz I'd charge $5.50 sf $245....that's outsourcing and marking up almost double...saying that you're 3 X as much is a bit of a stretch....he's a Pinnochino...the bastard.

skyhigh

I must be blessed. My customers tell me I'm alot more expensive than others, yet they leave their old sign shops (for me) & keep coming back.

Perhaps those shops that charge half of what I do, don't have the time to give that personalized service. It seems for my customers, SERVICE is more important than price. Go figure.

WildWestDesigns

. It seems for my customers, SERVICE is more important than price.

Count yourself lucky. I would say the tire kickers outnumber everyone around here.

That's really just the immediate local "boys" mind you, people that I get from here, other internet areas etc they do like the specialized attention.

skyhigh

so its about 44sq ft...If I did 13oz I would charge $4/sf ($175).

So it takes your printer 10 minutes to print that out. You probably had twice that amount of time just talking to your customer.

Do you really value what you do, or is this a part time hobby for you?
-no offense intended!!!!

(edit to eat some of my words). Nice shop & work Karyn.

Last edited: