• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is One Brand Of Air Release Cast Printed Vinyl Easier Than The Others?

player

I am installing a 4.5 foot x 12 foot printed and laminated decal onto recycling trucks. The trucks have a curved belly plus the side is made from 1/4" sheets of curved steel. There are 3 panels and the sheets are overlapped so the first sheet is 1/2" closer than the last sheet. Then there are welds up the seams where the sheets overlap.

I am using Orifol 3751 air release and 290 laminate.

All the decal does is wrinkle. I just finished one side on another truck and it goes so slowly because the vinyl just wrinkles. It fights me the whole way. I am wondering if a different brand of vinyl would be better to use. I have done 9 of these trucks so I have figured out what I think is the best way. When I am done it is pretty much perfect but it is very taxing and time consuming to do.

This is a similar truck. I am not sure if the back is as long, but you can see the belly and the seams.

RecyclingIPI-1024x500.jpg

I like IJ180 series film.

I've tried some of the Orafol products, I found the initial tack to be more aggressive than the IJ180.

Good luck,
Chris

HansNZsignman

Use a decent quality air-release vinyl, don't do it "wet" (yes people do that). The time you will save and the better quality job more than makes up for the extra vinyl cost, especially on a large job involving multiple vehicles.

player

Thanks for the replies.

I have been using the Orafol (Orical) 3751 air release. It is really melty and soft. It sticks quickly and likes to wrinkle. I am applying it to a surface with 2 different curves, but wow it is tough to get these decals on.

Salmoneye

Are you trying to hinge left to right instead of top to bottom? Not meaning to be a dumb question but it looks like a simple install so it was the only thing I could think of. I remember just starting and doing a couple that way.

Salmoneye

I didn't read your whole post apparently. It looks simple in the pic but as we all know that's not always the case.

player

I didn't read your whole post apparently. It looks simple in the pic but as we all know that's not always the case.

I looked at the picture again, and my trucks appear to be more bellied.

The curve makes it difficult, and the 3 panels at different levels compound the difficulty, and it is 12' long.

Because of the curve, I found attaching the top 6" then working my way down from there horizontally is pretty much the only way for me. When I try different ways it gets way worse.

HulkSmash

Easy install. If you can't do it you shouldn't offer the services.

in anycase - start in the middle work your way up from the center, then down.

HulkSmash

The only logical thing besides inexperience that could cause wrinkles would be you're not installing evenly.
You might be installing too far up on 1 side, leaving the other sidle to buckle. Install as even as possible all the way up, then down.. or visa versa, doesn't matter.

Another thing is, you're getting wrinkles early because of other mistakes, causing you to use heat, then that ends up with you having to use heat all the way up.

player

The only logical thing besides inexperience that could cause wrinkles would be you're not installing evenly.
You might be installing too far up on 1 side, leaving the other sidle to buckle. Install as even as possible all the way up, then down.. or visa versa, doesn't matter.

Another thing is, you're getting wrinkles early because of other mistakes, causing you to use heat, then that ends up with you having to use heat all the way up.

Remember there is the curve, but then there are 3 different levels. I am using minimal heat, only when a wrinkle is beyond non heat recovery. I am proceeding slowly, so the wrinkles are 1" long max, but I think the curve in combination with the 3 levels and the 12' length are just going to be problematic.

I think I need a different vinyl...

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Can you post up some photos of the actual truck you are doing.
It's hard to visualize how you are going wrong with this install.

wayne k
guam usa

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We do them the same way Colorado mentions. Because of the curve we tape the panel in place and tape hinge across, applying the top half then the bottom half. On the one side if the ladder is in your way that is also easy to remove, 2 bolts at the bottom and it just slips off at the top. This is a print/cut one we did a couple of weeks ago - in some respects even trickier with the large open areas on the sides. We also use 3751 (quite a bit) but also use 3M 180CV3 a good bit as well. If you are installing outside in the heat then you might want to app tape the material with a medium tack tape made for digital prints. Does not matter what brand, outdoors in high heat you are going to have to be careful about edges curling in and the material stretching. App taping it can help with that.

Attachments

• USCTT2.jpg
    USCTT2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 161