• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is our old Plotter shot or is this fixable?

stickamain

We've got an old 24" CAMM-1 "Desktop Sign Maker" I turned it off Friday evening after working fine all day. This morning, I turn it on and the power light is ON, but nothing else is! Opened it up and found a blown fuse on the circuit board. Replaced that, turned on the power and the fuse burned out immediately. Does anyone know how to find the source of "Shorts". Warranty was probably out about the same time Pearl Jam's second album was. So I'm not sure if we'll get much help from Roland, but I sent them an email anyway.

CS-SignSupply

Boards are no longer available for this one if it is the PNC-960.

Had one in our shop last week also blew the board. Some locations offer board level repair but even that is not always 100% cure, if there is another part causing the short such as trailing cable.

CS-SignSupply

Without schematics and detailed knowledge of electronics and proper testing techniques, no.

Which fuse was blown and do you have a pic of the repair?

stickamain

Here's a pic of the fuse.

Attachments

• Plotter Fuse.jpg
    Plotter Fuse.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 63

CS-SignSupply

That is the fail safe for power coming into the board... your issue could be more related to the powerboard/components.

I do not have service manual for this unit or I would send you specs to test for power coming out of the power board terminals.

Mosh

That is about a $50 plotter (I still have one just like it running), you are going to spend more than that in time messing with it.
Time for an upgrade! FYI, I leave mine on...infact I can never remember turning it off...LOL I got it in 1991 or 92...

Techman

usually the power supply fails and causes the blown fuse. That mobo has an onboard power supply. Look around for a blown capacitor or a burnt resistor. That may give you a path to a repair.

Mosh

solder a fuse around it and see if that works. I have two of those, one still is cutting (as I type) the other one I have as a parts machine..(sorry I might need that part someday)