• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is that the best you can do?

Joe Diaz

After quoting a job for a customer, we got the famous line "is that the best you can do?"... Don't get me wrong, it won't ruin our day. It's like that old saying says: If you get 100% of the jobs you quote, then you aren't charging enough.

We just said "sorry, that's our price". He wasn't willing to invest that much in his own businesses image, so we all said goodbye and went our separate ways. No big deal. It happens all the time here. But just like that episode of Seinfeld where George comes up with the "jerk store" comeback after he left the room and had a moment to think of what he really should have said... I came up with a good answer to "Is that the best you can do?"

Well no, Mr. Customer, we could do much better. We could go with the $10,000 option where we do some nice dimensional work, use some gold leaf, etc etc... Is that better?

:Big Laugh

Move In Media

:thumb: A dumb question warrants a smart-*** response :D or the desire for such a response anyway.... good business sense in just being nice about it, though, gj :D

sar bossier

Joe - Next time, offer him a sharpie, and a roll of toilet paper, and tell him you could do THAT sign for $1.00. :wink:

TwoNine

Funny. We actually have a Sharpie that we bought from the Home Depot sign section. It's a "Sign Marker" (Quite Hilarious in itself) but - had a customer...A purse store. Same thing - too much money for EVERY option we gave her. Finally my wife did hand her a "Sign Marker" and a blank 18" x 24" coro blank....Said that's the best we could do for 50 bucks. (Her budget.)

Never heard back from her.....Weird. =)

-Chad

ThinkRight

After quoting a job for a customer, we got the famous line "is that the best you can do?"... :Big Laugh

Tell him he could afford me,and give him my number.
/ I can't design,I still don't know how to use Corel,I don't know how to operate my printer yet.
In his price range !

Joe Diaz

Funny. We actually have a Sharpie that we bought from the Home Depot sign section. It's a "Sign Marker" (Quite Hilarious in itself) but - had a customer...A purse store. Same thing - too much money for EVERY option we gave her. Finally my wife did hand her a "Sign Marker" and a blank 18" x 24" coro blank....Said that's the best we could do for 50 bucks. (Her budget.)

Never heard back from her.....Weird. =)

-Chad

I love it, the "Low Budget Sign Kit" a sharpie, blank 18"X24" Coro Sign, and if I may add one thing, a My Little Pony sticker pack to really make it "pop" all for just $49.99. I think you're on to something. People want walmart prices, give them a walmart product.:thumb:

Locals Find!

I love it, the "Low Budget Sign Kit" a sharpie, blank 18"X24" Coro Sign, and if I may add one thing, a My Little Pony sticker pack to really make it "pop" all for just $49.99. I think you're on to something. People want walmart prices, give them a walmart product.:thumb:

Don't give them a sharpie. I came up with something similar a few years ago. I give them a 6 pack of colored markers from the Family dollar. For lettering I throw in a pack of those pre-cut vinyl letters you get for mailboxes also bought at family dollar they are about 1/4" letters & numbers.

I call it the "For Sale By Owner" real estate sign kit.

Wiggum PI

Pinched off another forum..

Attachments

• IMAG0109.jpg
    IMAG0109.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 125

Si Allen

I usually get "I need a better price!"

So if it is a $220 job I act like I am calculating in my head then say

"OK! How about $325!"

"That's not a better price!"

"It is for me! ... Now you want to argue some more?"

Works every time!

:ROFLMAO:

ProWraps

joe. seriously is that the BEST you can do? i mean you are only pushing corel to its limits.. you are only one of the BEST in the biz. i would hope you could cut your prices i mean just a bit?

stickerman12

I sent one to Wal-Mart today because he did not want to spend 20 freakin bucks for some phone number vinyl letters. Did not have time to argue with him.

I have thought about this come back (depending on the customer)
ask them how much they make at their job and then say "So you think I should make less than you and have the responsibility of running a business?"

Custom_Grafx

Said this recently.

"no, it's not the best, but it's what I need to make me happy... and at the end of the day, we both need to be happy, that's what this is all about... isn't it?"

It worked.

Jane Diaz

He said his last sign lasted 10 years and I said "Well if you divide this $350.00 by 10 that's $35 per year....pretty cheap advertising if you ask me." He didn't buy that....
He is totally redoing his apartment complex, new decks and balconies on all the units and $350 is too much for his ONLY on site advertising?! He'll probably either make something cheap or wait till his 10 year old sign falls off the posts and he DESERVES what he gets, in my opinion. Way to draw those potential renters in, especially when they see that ratty sign...why don't people GET that concept?!?