• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

is the optional take up reel (TU-2) worth the investment ($2100)

vroongraphics

Hi. I am going to be leasing a new Roland Versacamm (8 channel with White+white) and had a quick question.
My supplier quoted me $2100 for the "optional take up reel", cited above, and I would like user feedback. Is it "worth it" to have this take up over the OEM TU-1 take up reel? (is the only diff. the ability to automatically stop the take up reel unattended? Also, my supplier mentioned that the take up reel will allow me to do unattended "print and cut", which you cannot do with standard take up. I am sure it will come down to "production needs" by user feedback, but what i am looking for is whether users felt it was really worth the investment....
Thanks in advance....

Replicator

I've got a TU-2 I'll sell you, NEVER USED, but out of original box for $1000, plus shipping cost.

It's for a 54" Roland printer

Andrew O

Merchant Member
There is only one version of the take-up. The VS doesn't come standard with one so it is optional.

Colin

The Roland units are superior, but way overpriced IMO. Get any one of the various Chinese units for about $400-$600. They do the job.

scene329

In my shop we use the take up systems daily. We have (2) Epson GS6000s and we print (2) rolls of 54" x 150' a day and the take up system allows us to print all day/night unattended. We swear by it.

lenwardus

Chinese take up reel ok for print only.
print/cut...won't release clutch.

That's the inexpensive models.
Higher end models may allow
for retraction.

lenwardus

For take up of prints with registration marks for cutting...
better to get Chinese version with laser switch which
allows media to drop off printer with no tension and
be spooled.

OEM is best, but Chinese system about 1/4 of oem price.
R

Robert M

Take up

Or just get a Mimaki CJV series, same print head as the Roland , less money and they come with the take up and $1000.00 worth of ink. What I like about the Mimaki take up is it will reverse so you can print and cut without the media hitting the floor

Circleville Signs

If you don't have a takeup reel you are missing the boat. I was lucky enough when I bought my VJ that there was a promo that gave you the takeup reel for free. It is literally used every day. For example, yesterday I was slammed, and at the end of the day I still needed to run about 70' of banner. Without the takeup reel, I'm stuck for another 2-3 hours minimum. With the takeup reel? I ripped the job, sent it and went home. This morning my banners were done and ready to trim and grommet.

The takeup reel lets your printer work even when you aren't there.

Circleville Signs

Or just get a Mimaki CJV series, same print head as the Roland , less money and they come with the take up and $1000.00 worth of ink. What I like about the Mimaki take up is it will reverse so you can print and cut without the media hitting the floor

Assuming you don't need to laminate....Of course, one of these days a company is going to come up with a print/lam/cut unit. And I will buy it. :smile:

2B

Assuming you don't need to laminate....Of course, one of these days a company is going to come up with a print/lam/cut unit. And I will buy it. :smile:

better yet have ARTBOT work his Frankenstein magic, then its a print/lam/cut/flatbed/cnc monster

Bly

We use takeup reels on our three large format printers.
Every job long enough to drop to the floor gets taped on mainly to keep dust off the vinyl. Solvent print faces will stick together too.
Get the reel. You won't be sorry.

vroongraphics

thanks for the info, guys! My supplier packaged the printer with a TU1 (no charge) but had an option for TU2. So, to clarify, I was wondering if the $2100 was worth it between these 2 take up reels.....

401Graphics

If you don't have a takeup reel you are missing the boat. I was lucky enough when I bought my VJ that there was a promo that gave you the takeup reel for free. It is literally used every day. For example, yesterday I was slammed, and at the end of the day I still needed to run about 70' of banner. Without the takeup reel, I'm stuck for another 2-3 hours minimum. With the takeup reel? I ripped the job, sent it and went home. This morning my banners were done and ready to trim and grommet.

The takeup reel lets your printer work even when you aren't there.
+1

ladiko

I know this thread is quite old, but does anybody have a link to a takeup reel from china for the roland SP-300v ? Does it have a heating to fixate the print before it's rolled?