• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there a way to block certain threads on S101?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppers

Ok, I'm still a sign n00b and will admit it...but I paid my $$ for the year to read about signmaking here on S101. Lately (as others have said on other posts) - there is a slew of off topic/junk/thread hijackers on the site. Some off topic threads are OK (I really like the "what does your avatar mean?" etc thread bc it allows you to unwind from the workday), but these non sign related posts almost seem to be outnumbering the sign posts each day!

Sure I answer to threads that are off topic, but....

1) I am just wondering if there is a way to see a thread that is annoying to you that you know you will never read (currently for me any political rant of the 100's on here) and just "bury" or block it so you wont see it again on the main page or forum pages? I know some sites like Digg.com allow you to bury a persons comment or post to hide it from view, just not sure if there is something like that on this forum.

2) Or if it is from a certain annoying member/overzealous politico poster, can you just block them or their new posts from your view? This is just a follow-up since Id rather point #1 if possible...

Lastly, if this is not possible - I suppose I can just unsubscribe from the No holds barred to cut down on a lot, but I do like some of the topics on there and dont want to miss some of them at times.

I realize we all have our right to free speech and IM NOT pointing out anyone specifically here (so please don't start fingerpointing), I just want some "digital earplugs" if possible...

And finally, Fred - I know you run a tight ship here and not knocking the site at all. If this functionality is behind the scenes, great..if not, I will move on. Granted the heated election almost upon us and bad economy is causing a lot of these extra posts (which is to be expected I suppose?), just wish I could bury them from view to get down to the real reason were here for - A) making some $$ and B) having fun :)

Thanks for your time,

-Matt AKA Hoppers

mountainmang

i see your point, but on the otherhand, i sure am glad to see folks loosening up a bit around here :thumb: historically, this has been a rather stuffy crowd.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There's no way to do what you want in the way of blocking any particular thread. You can add any member to your ignore list if you so choose. Of course, then you have to hope that the ignored member never posts anything meaningful that might be something you would want to read. It's kind of the same with No Holds Barred. We could setup each of the sub-forums to be individually joinable, but then how would you know when something was posted that you might want to check out?

I feel your pain in particular as an admin because I have to skim everything that gets posted. What I end up doing is to check into the topics that sound interesting as well as those that don't but that gather a lot of replies. I also use the "Mark Forums Read" selection on Quick Links on a regular basis which tends to make the skimming of thread topics easier.

hoppers

Thanks for the quick reply Fred, I will look into the "mark threads read" option.

And as for the No Holds Barred - if there would be a way to unsubscribe from certain sub forums under it as you said (ie politics etc) - that would be very cool! Granted I may miss something in there, but I tend to not read many of them anyway and wish I could just filter them out. If it could be looked at as a possible future request for S101, that would be great!

Have a good weekend everyone!

-Matt

Steve C.

I do understand what you mean, but on the other hand, that's what the
Thread Titles are for. If the title is not interesting, or stupid, avoid reading it.
I seem to be drawn to those lately. The real trick is not to post there or
you will be drawn back again and again. I hate it when I post on a boaring
thread and then it goes on and on and on.

I enjoy the NHB forum, I read there and try to avoid posting.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I agree with Steve. Although I read the ones that look interesting.... if one gets a high post count, I then usually check it out, because some people use a code or some odd way of introducing a thread.

I particularly look at all of the 'Premium' threads because I feel the information there will probably be valuable compared to some of the meaningless drivel in the other areas.

Not to steal your thunder, but I think this 'Premier' thing is working out great.

Ahh I put some funny off topics haha
Not as many off topics as some other people but ya good times

well i have to respectfully disagree with you there. so far all you have shown me with your posts and the quality of them (or rather the lack there of), not to mention the quality of your work (or rather again....the lack there of) is that you are a totally immature ignoramous whose mommy and daddy threw buckets of money at you for equipment (and a roof to keep it all under) and you found yourself in a trade that you obviously know very little about.

now save me, yourself...and everyone else from posting some ignorant babble in retort and just think that every post that you make is what builds the image of yourself that everyone here has of you.

show a little maturity and realize that this isnt a forum of highschool boys and girls (but maybe you and your cronies that think your senseless babble is entertaining could either find or form another forum to pollute) but rather an industry trade site of seasoned professionals that gather here to share information, help each other troubleshoot when the need arises, share camaradary with people that share the same profession and daily trials and tribulations, and build professional relationships.

if you keep your mouth shut long enough you may actually learn something.

P

ProWraps™

watching sign&frame pollute every thread, every other post over and over and over, has made me lose a large amount of interest in this forum. its just become a mess.

sign&frame

Ah that cute, You guys can think what you want that you opinion.
Just because I got since of humor and you to are ignorant bleep bleep ain't my problem.
You know it funny because I talk to bunch of people I took order from and they thought I was funny and also when they spoke to me on phone they found out I am a business man. They also mentioned how a few of you guys here have been threating me like crap and are grumpy un happy beeps.
Don't like me ignore me so you don't see me on thread or better yet call me and see how bad I speak english.

RebeckaR

So if you choose to block a specific person, does that mean any thread they have posted in doesn't show up, or just their comments in the thread?

kage

Ah that cute, You guys can think what you want that you opinion.
Just because I got since of humor and you to are ignorant bleep bleep ain't my problem.
You know it funny because I talk to bunch of people I took order from and they thought I was funny and also when they spoke to me on phone they found out I am a business man. They also mentioned how a few of you guys here have been threating me like crap and are grumpy un happy beeps.
Don't like me ignore me so you don't see me on thread or better yet call me and see how bad I speak english.
Pleease............ I hope your not breeding

S

SignTech

Stop Thread Pollution!

crying-indian.jpg

S

SignTech

So if you choose to block a specific person, does that mean any thread they have posted in doesn't show up, or just their comments in the thread?

Just what they have written as long as you are signed in. This does not block the whole thread. I have only had to use this option once. It works well ... fortunately that person doesn't post much anymore.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

No it doesn't block the thread. What you end up seeing is a message that

This message is hidden because member name is on your ignore list.

So the only downside is that things may not make sense at times or be out of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.