Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a way to score the liner for decals?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Pideas, Aug 15, 2019 at 1:05 PM.

Tags:
  1. Pideas

Pideas Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Alexandria, Virginia
    I'm running 1,000 4x11" decals. I'm using my HP Latex to run the decals on a 54" wide roll. I find it kind of hard to peel off the decal from the liner. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried turning the sheet of label with liner face up and scored the back of the liner on a Summa cutter? Or is there another way to cut/score the liner so it's easier for the decal to peel off?

Tags:
  2. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    We've used these with some success: https://olfa.com/professional/product/top-sheet-cutter-ts-1/

You need a perfectly flat surface/workbench and a fresh blade, and the accuracy of the score is only as good as your hand pressure.

We'll run sheets w/ marks printed that we score through on the face, then flip over and backslit. With some practice you can get to about 95% success rate.

Too little or too much pressure and you're wrecking decals pretty quick, but you can definitely get pretty good at it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. fozzie

fozzie Member

Aug 26, 2012
    illinois
    if you have a javelin (or similiar) cutter, these work well. we have had success with flat table, cutting on new, flat foamcore sheet.
    just takes a minute or two to dial in razor blade height. once good, no issues. take out variable of hand pressure.

4. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    I'm not sure I'd personally use the TS-1 for this purpose. Everything has to be perfect. I don't think it was ever intended to do any long cuts. The tip makes it hard to use with a ruler too.

Anyways, it is possible to do with a cutter. It's only a matter of blade depth and pressure. Well, once you figure out a reliable way to line up the cuts.

When you see split back decals they're typically done on a finishing module for a decal machine.

5. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Does the customer actually want them slit, or are you just thinking about future orders?

6. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Never tried it on a summa/graphtec... We have our own backslitting machine, so no need to.

Our customers have been requesting more and more that instead of backslit... We just kiss cut it to exact, then perf cut it 1/8" around the decal. Then they can bend and peel it off easy... Works great for smaller decals where having a slit back would be a small slit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Pideas

Pideas Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Alexandria, Virginia
    No, customers weren't requesting it but some have mentioned it was tough to peel the decal off the liner. I was just wondering if folks used the Summa or Graphtec for this purpose. It was just a thought.

8. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    We will often peel the 'matrix' off the front of the decals which makes removing decal from liner easier. The matrix can be removed easily by attaching the first inch of the material to be removed across the sheet width to a large steel ruler to control the material, and just pull it off at a steep angle (like 170) . If you have a clean cut and simple pattern like rectangles/circles, comes right off with a little practice.

9. White Haus

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    This is what we usually do, but just manually. Kiss cut the decals on the plotter, weed, then trim into singles.

What kind of backslitter are you guys running? Are you happy with it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    https://www.rollemusa.com/portfolio/semi-slitters/ We have one like this... not this exact model, next time I'm by it I'll try to see what model it is. I know we've had it for 15+ years...

It works great. It's like a graphtec though... You have to set the blade depth everytime, if you do it wrong then it'll cut a line in the glue which leaves a mark. It's great when we have thousands upon thousands of decals to backslit though!

11. stickerhed

stickerhed New Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Janesville, WI

Hands down this is the best tool for that job. Obviously if you're doing huge quantity one of the automated machines would work better, but we use this knife 25+ times per day everyday

http://www.yellotools.us/Cutting/Knives-Cutters-Scissors/BodyGuard-Knife-Teflon.html

12. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    +1 for the bodyguard knife. Protip, for the teflon 'boots', you can order 3m fiberglass tape and stick that to some backing and run it through your plotter. I think a giant roll was about $100, but you can get a metric ton of the pads cut out at your convenience. (we have run out of shoes at the wrong time more than once...) It also works well on the back of the laminator. Apply a strip running the same direction as the laminated material that comes out the back, right where the lam adhesive always hits if you get your alignment off just a little. Just wrap the leading edge under the machine so it doesn't catch. Also, apply it to a piece of 2" architectural angle to make the best damn 10' straight edge you've ever used!

13. FireSprint

FireSprint Very Active Member

If you don't have the space for a slitter, you can add an option to your decals for an ez-peel tab. roughly a 1/8" piece of extra material that acts the same as cutting the liner but it's on the front. Depending on your process, it's relatively quick and it frees you up to work on other things while it's cutting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. White Haus

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Cool, thanks! I never realized those can also cut right through.....seems like a great tool to have in the shop!