• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there any Interest In a "How To Put In Heaters for $350 In Your Printer"?

Headhunterx

Anyone interested in a "How To Install Heaters In Your CJ 500"? These will cost you about $350 and they are thermostatically controlled and each one has it's own control (Front and Rear) they are adjustable 50-122° degrees F. You cannot tell they are there because they go under the Front and Rear aprons. If there is any interest in this I will put together a step by step how to and post it here. I have the front one done and will work on the rear one over the week end. I just upgraded my CJ 500 to use solvent inks and that was not to hard to do but now I have a pump motor problem and I have to locate one before I can make sure they are working properly before I can go into details of the conversion If anyone reading this has any suggestions on how to fix this problem I would appreciate any help. I checked with several Roland Dealers and no one has one in stock and Roland cannot give them a time on a replacement so I am down until I find one or an alternative solution. My pump motor worked with my old pump but when I switched over to a solvent resistant pump all it would do was make a squealing noise and not turn the pump. The new pump turned free by hand but no go with the old motor, I even tried my extra new pump but the same thing happened. I even got a new motor from Beacon Graphics which was a different part number but the same wire config. But before I tried that I thought I would try my old one one more time but when I put it back in it would not work, so now I don't know whether I have messed something up or it just went altogether, but now I am afraid to try the other one because it is not the same as the old one. Does anyone know what the trouble might be? The printer works ok no error messages just that the pump does not run. So if anyone can help please let me know what to try. I have a service manual so I can try different settings if someone can just point me in the right direction. The heaters are pretty simple just let me know if there is any interest in this, it should work in a number of different printers.

Thank You For Your Time,
Richard

S

Stan B

it's a great idea and needed indeed but please don't give it away. Get a merchant member here and sell "how to" for $x and complete units for $xx

slimlin

How to..... and CJ 500 manual

Hi Richard

It would be a great idea to post a how to do...... i would love it myself, its always nice to have something for free, especially help. THANKS Richard, you saved my day, let me know how i can help you at any time. why does everybody always first think of money????????????. Is it the ONLY thing that makes people happy today???, ok enough said.

I Like the idea of doing this kind of modding, especially for the older models, because it starts to be difficult to get qualified help or information, for the older models, like the CJ 500 etc.

So keep up the good work.

Kind regards

Jakob

Headhunterx

it's a great idea and needed indeed but please don't give it away. Get a merchant member here and sell "how to" for $x and complete units for $xx

I am not trying to make money off of this the $350 is what it cost me to make. I come to these forums to get advice and when I can I help people for "Free" I make my living elsewhere and although making money is my main concern sometimes, it just feels good to give back to the people that help you with all the valuable knowledge here and on all the other forums that are around if everyone charged for everything there wouldn't be any public forums.

Richard

S

Stan B

I always thought that money is fair compensation for somewhat innovative, tested & work well done.

slimlin

Richard

I was not under the impression that it was you, who wanted to make money out of it, it was a comment to Stan B's post. Ofcourse its ok to make money, but as stated: where would this forum be without people doing something for free?.

Jakob

Headhunterx

I meant no ill will to anyone about my comment about making money. Let's just leave money out of this except for the cost of the materials.

Now to the topic at hand, I got busy this weekend and didn't have time to work on it but I promise pictures and a material list sometime this week. I will not let this thread die out.

Thanks For Reading,
Richard

Headhunterx

Ok Here It Is!!

Here is your material list:

Go here for these : http://www.tileheater.net/shop/order120.html
1-
Item: TT5-120
Quantity: 2
Description: 120V Radiant Floor Heating Mat covers 1.5 ft. X 5 ft.(7.5 S.f.); output 12 Watts per S.f.; 0.75 Amps
Price (each): $74.58
Item Total: $149.16
2-
Item: MTC-2991-TS
Quantity: 2
Description: 120V, 16 Amp, (Non-programmable), thermostat control with floor sensor.
Price (each): $69.00
Item Total: $138.00

3- I got these at Lowes : Approximate Cost $30.00

2- Rolls of the High Temp Duct Tape
1- Roll of Insulation
2- Plastic Switch Boxes
2- 6-foot 3 prong cords
1- Small box self taping screws
1- Small pack wire tie

The heating mat needs to be removed from it's plastic netting ( Be careful not to nick the cable or it will not work). Then you will need to make sure when you put the cable onto the front cover you don't get the cable to close to the groove that fits over the bottom piece (See Photo). Then all you have to do is run the cable and make sure you don't bend the cable too sharply and just thread it until it runs out (DO NOT TRY TO SHORTEN IT). Then all I did was tape it with the high temp tape so that the cable would stay against the cover and then when you add the temp sensor cable make sure it does not touch the heating cable (When you come to the end you may need to make a loop in the cable to exit the cover to keep it off of the heating cable, I did on the front cover but did not have to on the rear cover). When I insulated it I turned the insulation backwards (shiny side next to the heating cable just to make sure the insulation did not get too hot I did not know if the rubber side could take the heat directly so I did it to be safe). Just be sure not to cover the media sensor holes in the cover. You will have enough insulation for another project leftover. Feed the control cables through the hole that the wiring of the printer goes to the main circuit board and drill two holes in the bottom of the housing for the control cables to go to the switch boxes (In the pictures you will see these duct taped to the leg of the printer because I forgot my drill on that day, they, will be secured by self tapping screws later). You will have a lot of extra control cable from the heating cable left over so all I did was make a large loop of it and wire tie it together and tape it to the inside of the housing where the main board is (see photo). All you have to do then is wire it up per the instructions supplied with the heating cable and repeat this for the rear. I got this idea hunting around for different ways to come up with a way to heat the media other tan the over priced Roland heater add on and it did not even include the rear unit so after I got the specs of the Roland unit I started looking for alternatives and being a building contractor for over 20 years I have used this stuff quite a few times to heat tile floors so that is where this idea sprang from. So I hope this helps someone else out. I have let this heat up until the thermostat kicked in and it was quite hot to the touch, I have no way to make sure it does heat to 122 degrees other than the thermostat but it does heat which is more than I had which was nothing. Sorry for the quality of the pictures but all I had with me at the time I did this was a camera phone.

Also, switching over to solvent ink was no problem at all. I changed the capping station with a solvent resistant one, and the ink pump with a solvent resistant one, flushed out the ink lines, put in refillable cartridges, flushed out the dampers, flushed out the heads ( I used a cleaning solution I had bought from Ebay for Epson heads look up seller tinteiros ) All you need is a syringe to push the cleaning solution through and then use it to suck the ink through the lines. I bought all my change over parts from an Ebay seller ( Look Up solventinksonline ) I am using TechInk for the solvent ink so far the colors are not to far off but only time will tell about that after I have had time to play around with the profiles a little. I did buy the solvent ink lines but I wont change them until I see it is necessary to do so. I even bought new heads but I am not going to use them until I find it necessary also the heads are no different so until trouble starts I will use my old ones.

ALL OF THIS INFORMATION IS WHAT I HAVE DONE FOR MY SELF AND I NO WAY TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT YOU MAY DO WITH THIS INFORMATION !!

I Hope This Helps,
Richard

THE PICTURES OF THIS PROJECT:

dclet

I will give you $25 to go somewhere that your opinion is needed because it is not needed here!!

ugh Richard!...appreciate your post, and the time you took to do it....

Not everything needs a price tag...Stan.

Headhunterx

ugh Richard!...appreciate your post, and the time you took to do it....

Not everything needs a price tag...Stan.

Well thanks for that and I am glad to do it maybe I misunderstood your previous post and I apologize if I was wrong for my comment to you and it will be deleted. that is the only thing wrong with these forums you just can't see expressions and if you don't make yourself clear on everything you type it can be took the wrong way. And again SORRY.

Richard

dclet

Richard, I know exactly what goes into doing things like that,
no need to apologize....your effort is greatly appreciated.....

Again thanks for your time, it benefits all.

Check out ( you probably already have )- http://www.printingdigital.net/

heh no merchant members....:biggrin: