• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there anything I can do?

Tigertron

If you have a design and you boss doesn't like it. After the customer says no. Show him yours. If he likes it sub your shop to do it.

Honestly if you guys are selling that I think I could do wraps too.

SignManiac

Not to get too far off topic, but do any of you guys have a collection of really ugly/bad wraps that I can have. I want to be able to show potential customers the difference between a really well done wrap job and really bad ones?

I've taken a few photos of ones Ive seen on the road but would like to add a few more so that it really sinks in. Thanks in advance :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How's this ??

Attachments

• oogly wrap.jpg
    oogly wrap.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 107

vid

So I guess my question is, is there any hope for him? Is there anything I can do to improve his design without being insulting?

You don't need to improve his design skill, you need to get those tasks.

I was at a turn and burn shop. For six months I was the lackey underling to 3 other designers... it was miserable. I changed it by using a pencil and the phrase "what if you?..." I'd either scribble on the rendering or do a thumbnail sketch on another sheet offering a generous critique of why the elements of the presented design didn't work. Some solicited some unsolicited. It worked out fairly well for six years.

To the suggestions of doing the layout on your own time --- NEVER do that! Don't work for free. Rather do something that has a similar theme and incorporates similar design elements of a fictitious company or proposal for a friend. Perhaps something that could generate a new sale for you and the company, if you must.

Doing that, it's not a direct confrontation to the boss' offending layout. It shows your mad design skills and ideas that could also be incorporated into future projects, diplomatically. Then too, you've got a portfolio piece that you can share when you go out on a job search without any binding to your current employment. You're able to share a comparison between what was done and how you would have approached that same theme in a generic way.

Also, I kept my personal portfolio at work. Because I was able to get in front of customers, I used that to offer creative suggestions to new projects rather than the typical BIG and RED. That customer contact made me the default lead on a good portion of the incoming jobs. The few times that I was asked if I do work on the side, I was $10 more an hour than the shop rate.
Losing a weekend is more and more expensive the older I get - LOL
As it has many times been discussed on this board, you need to be the expert at what you do --- even as an employee.

...and to Gino's suggestion about redesigning a layout and your reply ---

Well, I've done this a couple times and I've gotten a really mixed bag of reviews. Sometimes hes appreciative and likes it, but most of the time he'll take it and change it back to where it was before.

That doesn't work. One can't hand off a layout without offering a critique as to why yours works better... design-wise, cost-wise, or some other compelling benefit and expect to sell it.

Barring any ability to change the situation internally, follow Rick's advice --- move on.

Just my .o2 - Good luck in your decision making!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I wonder if addie knows one of his employees is posting here.

wayne k
guam usa

sorry it's early and I'm waiting for the coffee to be done....

Ponto

Really.... I'm biting my tongue on this one.

Why don't you just make one up.... on your own time and show him what a real design should look like and see if he understands. Don't jam it down his throat.... just present it as.... hey, whaddaya think of this ??

...yeah, this +1,........approaching this topic from a different angle would have been better but I agree, the wrap proposals are horrendous and just might present you with an opportunity......lets see what you got........

JP

SignManiac

I would have to agree on that. If you can do better, it had better be damn good. You should post up what you would have done before I would advise you to show something to your boss. You're walking a fine line.

visual800

I wont bite mine, that crap sucks! nothing flows, its all in a line and by itself. The background is crap this whole thing is a disaster. i dont know whats more appalling the design or the fact he cant fill the truck with color without masking correctly

Steak

I would have to agree on that. If you can do better, it had better be damn good. You should post up what you would have done before I would advise you to show something to your boss. You're walking a fine line.

What do you mean by that? Like, he might be insulted or mine wouldn't be much better?