Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a rip-off?

Discussion in 'Clipart, Vehicle Templates and Digital Files' started by Sabre, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Sabre

Sabre Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Hey guys,

I had a client bring in this image he said he did up and wanted it cleaned up to print on a 4x4 coro for their new hockey team. I asked for a digital file and got the usual lines about that being the best he had etc etc... I dont believe this guy to be the most creative type, so I'm wondering if he borrowed a likeness from another team or something and changed the lacrosse stick to the axe or something? Anybody recognize it?

If it's legit I wouldn't mind going nuts with it and really doing our best with it... but I dont wanna dump a pile of work into it and then somebody laugh at the butcher job we did to the "Indiana Rednecks" or something. No offense to any Indiana peoples :) Or any rednecks for that matter...

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    give him a price on the sign only... get him hooked on wanting that... then tell him the art is awesome... and a shame to have to have some signguy redraw it for $200, when the real artist is standing right here... see if that gets the "real artist" to stand up & be counted... if not, have him sign off on ownership of the design & collect $200

3. gps-hi

gps-hi Guest

screams clip art to me, but I couldn't find it on google

4. signpro

signpro Manager

Dec 29, 2008
    Central Wisconsin
    i would say clipart too... but what do i know?

5. KJORDAN

KJORDAN Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Screams poorly done magic-wand tool to me, too.

6. ERUS37

ERUS37 Member

Aug 5, 2005
  7. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
  8. Fbomb

Fbomb New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Looks like a newer version of the Canucks old logo...I am betting its an AHL team! Did he tell you the name of the team? Did you crop it out or is this how he provided it?

9. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
  10. Sabre

Sabre Member

Sep 13, 2005
    This is how he provided it. I did my own quick vector hack job on it and he was thrilled. I told him I'd like to spend some more time with it before they did any official stuff. At the moment they just needed it as an announcement for next season.

Thanks for the replies from everyone.

11. TheProfessor

TheProfessor Member

Oct 28, 2008
    yes its a rip off

http://www.bigstick.ca/

I would suggest letting him know you cannot use the image since it's already someone else's logo...

12. bjones

bjones Member

Nov 1, 2007
    that site is a custom jersey designer, who's to say that this person asking for stuff isn't starting a team that this site designed the jersey for and like many folks here, won't let the vector art go?

13. TheProfessor

TheProfessor Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I am totally assuming from what I inferred from the original post... it didnt sound like the customer was adding it to the sign with the intention of crediting the jersey company since they very carefully did not include the part that said "big stick"... plus, in the original post Sabre mentions that the customer said he did the logo himself...

14. chopper

chopper Very Active Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Big Lake MN
    if he was sponsored by the jersey company they would have given him better art than that, and it would have had the big stick on it.....
    can you say copy right infringement,
    //chopper

15. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    its a paul bunyon deally?

16. Good catch Professor. Right on the money.

17. signpro

signpro Manager

Dec 29, 2008
    Central Wisconsin
    wow, has the customer come back yet? i'd like to know what they had to say after tellin them you found the original artwork, and it belongs to someone else.

18. TheProfessor

TheProfessor Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I'm kinda curious myself... :)