• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is this an Arkansas thing?

JBurton

Signtologist
Why-the-Rush-to-Buy-Milk-and-Bread-When-Predictions-of-Snow.jpg

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Is this a political statement, or a weather statement? I could see this happening in Seattle, because it's not supposed to snow there, and when it does people panic. OTH, Seattle is full of "Snow Flakes" - so nothing new there.

JBurton

Signtologist
Weather. We get about 1" of (typically) ice annually, and folks will buy every loaf of bread/buns/tortillas/carb-free what have yous, and then every gallon of milk, without fail, at the mere mention of winter weather. I have far more memories of watching the weather in the early hours before school and becoming very disappointed vs memories of playing in the snow.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
She's messed up. There's already snow all over the place. I think it's just an advertisement for Mair's bread.

Around here, they also stock up on toilet paper before a snow storm.

JBurton

Signtologist
Around here, they also stock up on toilet paper before a snow storm.
Evidently, we only feel that's an issue when someone mentions lockdown.
(In other news, we are just about to polish off the last of 8 cases of ramen I ordered before the pandemic for my picky eater at home)

Signarama Jockey

I used to live in Georgia, and that entire state went into full on lockdown at the first hint of snow. The people there just had no idea how to deal with it. Back in 2014, Snowpocalypse hit Georgia and there was actual snow on the ground that stuck. People thought it was the end of days. One thing that stuck in my head was a picture from the news of a single car on the road that was just engulfed in flames, and it typified the whole panic mode of the state. This wasn't a crash, it didn't hit anything. Like, they had all freaked out so much over the snow that someone managed to catch their car on fire because of it. So yeah, try to be gentle around Georgians when you discuss snow; they are delicate souls.

Winter_Weather_Georgia.J13.jpg

JBurton

Signtologist
This wasn't a crash, it didn't hit anything.
True story, when my wife and I were still dating, we wanted to race to the beer store before the roads iced over. When we were almost there, the car lost power and started smoking. Pulled over and found a fire on the block. Had to shovel what snow/ice was around us to get it out. I'm not sure what actually ignited, but it turns out there was only water in the radiator, it froze, dumbass me didn't see the temp rising... FIRE!
I'm going to bet it was a similar situation, whether or not beer was involved is someone else's call.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
I used to live in Georgia, and that entire state went into full on lockdown at the first hint of snow. The people there just had no idea how to deal with it. Back in 2014, Snowpocalypse hit Georgia and there was actual snow on the ground that stuck. People thought it was the end of days. One thing that stuck in my head was a picture from the news of a single car on the road that was just engulfed in flames, and it typified the whole panic mode of the state. This wasn't a crash, it didn't hit anything. Like, they had all freaked out so much over the snow that someone managed to catch their car on fire because of it. So yeah, try to be gentle around Georgians when you discuss snow; they are delicate souls.

The company I worked for back then had a sales rep near Atlanta, he said it took him 8 hours get home on what was normally less than an hour commute, what a nightmare.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
TX roads are straight and flat, so when you spin off the road you just go into a field. Put it in 4 wheel drive and get back on the highway. Done it a few times. In Arkansas it's hilly and you can hit a tree so more dangerous out there.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
TX roads are straight and flat, so when you spin off the road you just go into a field. Put it in 4 wheel drive and get back on the highway. Done it a few times. In Arkansas it's hilly and you can hit a tree so more dangerous out there.
They shut down the highways in Dallas in the late 90s. I managed to get into town just in time to see Beck at the Bronco Bowl in 98/99?

DL Signs

Never go against the family
It's a southern thing... Here in the middle of Wisconsin we're usually butt deep in snow by now and 30 below zero. We got spoiled this year, haven't had a shovel or the snowblower out yet, two days ago the grass was green. Finally got our first snowfall, and it's supposed to be up around a foot by morning. Had 4-5 inches by the time I left the shop, my 30 minute commute home was same as always.

No one here stocks up on anything for snow, it's a minor inconvenience to us, barely slows us down. Schools aren't even delayed or closed till there's half a foot or more coming. Longest we're usually not be able to go anywhere is as long as it takes to get out of the driveway. Longest I was ever actually stuck at home for was a little over half a day a few years back when we got around 3 feet in one day. Way out in the most rural areas you might get shut in for the better part of a day, but that's about it. Yes, we laugh at people who go out and wipe out stores for a little snow, but... how can we not laugh with how we live.

Y'all need to come up here for a winter:toasting:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We'd react that way here if it started to snow, only it'd be running with a six-pack of beer and a case of Spam.
We had a real problem with snow coming in from Asia in the 80s & 90s, now it has been replaced with meth.

signbrad

During my 16-year Arkansas adventure, I recall schools and courts closing if there was an accumulation of snow. It seemed like a half inch was enough to close schools.

But I could always get to the winery because it was across the street from my house. I also miss the long Arkansas growing season. You could plant three gardens if you started early with peas. And okra loved the clay soil and the heat, but you can only eat so much okra.

Cold in Kansas City,
Brad

Stacey K

I like making signs
Geez ddarlak! I thought our 14" was lot! I snowblowed Friday at noon, my son and I went back at 9pm and again Saturday morning to keep up with it. It was quite drifted Saturday but I managed to get some pretty photos, it was really beautiful!

Attachments

• IMG_4033.jpeg
    IMG_4033.jpeg
    535.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4044 (1).jpeg
    IMG_4044 (1).jpeg
    777.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4046.jpeg
    IMG_4046.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4048.jpeg
    IMG_4048.jpeg
    861.8 KB · Views: 64

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Got a cold, cold lesson yesterday morning.
Took the dog out, temp was -3, wind chill -23. Expecting to be out for maybe 30 seconds tops (dog does his thing quick when it's cold), just threw a light jacket & slippers on, and the #*%#@ door locked behind me!
Wife was sleeping yet and wears earplugs, took a while to wake her up to unlock the door. Brrrrr....