• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is this too Cheap??

JoshLoring

allamericantrade said:
Being this form is searchable, If your customer google's your name he will have your costs as you posted

I'd really consider moving this to premium. Can't see it being to wise to give that possible chance

+1

visual800

NEVER let a customer tell you what he paid the other guy and NEVER belive it when they also say how much they will be ordering in the future. Customers are usually FOS!

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
NEVER let a customer tell you what he paid the other guy and NEVER belive it when they also say how much they will be ordering in the future. Customers are usually FOS!

+1 as hard as I can.

as for his order request at a $17 'profit' before labor and overhead ... you will probably end up losing money before you even get to overhead. if $47 profit nets you what you need, quote for that. ... and don't be afraid to set minimums.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Regardless of where your shop is.... in your basement or a busy street corner, by charging out only what you need to sneak by will catch up to you quickly.

Charge him something like $125. per order. If he has enough items in there to reach that is on him. Why should you take the entire brunt of his inability to reach a normal order ??

We just ran a job a week or so ago, where the girl asked for I think it was 50 very small pieces printed, laminated and contourcut. The way it worked out, I said... this will cost you a total of $165. She asked.... why ?? Well, the machines are running continuously, but the amount of media you need, I can get 90 pieces out of it evenly, so you're gonna pay for what I use, regardless of how many you want. So, either pay the $165 for your 50 or get 90 for the same price. Are you gonna need more ?? Yes, eventually. Well, you've just about doubled the size of your order and it didn't cost you anything extra.

So, doesn't the bimbo go and order 100.

I still charged $165 and got the last 10 ganged in with another job.

You've got to educate YOUR customers on how you work and make money, not what they need. Who cares what their needs are, if they inconvenience you or you don't make any real money ??

Tim Aucoin

Regardless of where your shop is.... in your basement or a busy street corner, by charging out only what you need to sneak by will catch up to you quickly.

Charge him something like $125. per order. If he has enough items in there to reach that is on him. Why should you take the entire brunt of his inability to reach a normal order ??

We just ran a job a week or so ago, where the girl asked for I think it was 50 very small pieces printed, laminated and contourcut. The way it worked out, I said... this will cost you a total of $165. She asked.... why ?? Well, the machines are running continuously, but the amount of media you need, I can get 90 pieces out of it evenly, so you're gonna pay for what I use, regardless of how many you want. So, either pay the $165 for your 50 or get 90 for the same price. Are you gonna need more ?? Yes, eventually. Well, you've just about doubled the size of your order and it didn't cost you anything extra.

So, doesn't the bimbo go and order 100.

I still charged $165 and got the last 10 ganged in with another job.

You've got to educate YOUR customers on how you work and make money, not what they need. Who cares what their needs are, if they inconvenience you or you don't make any real money ??

:goodpost:

GoodPeopleFlags

Are you a wholesale company? If not, then do not give him wholesale price. Why should you take money out of your pocket just so he can make some? Your prices are your prices and stick to them. Tell him you are not a wholesale company and you don't offer wholesale pricing. You can give discounts for quantities ordered at one time but not on potential future orders. Believe me and everyone else, that's BS; the future potential business rarely, if ever, comes through.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Are you a wholesale company? If not, then do not give him wholesale price. Why should you take money out of your pocket just so he can make some? Your prices are your prices and stick to them. Tell him you are not a wholesale company and you don't offer wholesale pricing. You can give discounts for quantities ordered at one time but not on potential future orders. Believe me and everyone else, that's BS; the future potential business rarely, if ever, comes through.

+1

Circleville Signs

Bluefish hit the nail on the head. If you do not normally do wholesale work then you shouldn't start getting into it with small order jobs. And if you don't normally do wholesale work then you REALLY should do some research before you start diving into it. Either way, we do a reasonable amount of wholesale work (around 20% of our revenue), and it's all to a 3 county radius. We have a minimum order of $75, and if you want free delivery the minimum order is $200.

royster13

The prices I have seen from local shops trying to do wholesale work is usually 40% to 100% higher than specialty trade suppliers.....Tough for the little guy to compete with shops that run huge volumes and operate 24/7....

Circleville Signs

The prices I have seen from local shops trying to do wholesale work is usually 40% to 100% higher than specialty trade suppliers.....Tough for the little guy to compete with shops that run huge volumes and operate 24/7....

Very true - and that's why if you ARE going to do it, you have to fill a niche. We service pretty much small shops (>150k/year in revenue) whose primary goal is to have someone local that can be a help partner for them.

Techman

my printer isn't running but a few hours a day, so if I can keep it running, it MAY be worth it....am I being dumb?

Yes,

Getting jobs at any price to keep it running is the biggest mistake ever. Better to have it run 2 hours a day and make maximum profit than to run it 8 hrs a day and break even.