• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is this true about lexan ?

Drip Dry

About 2 years ago we printed onto clear Roland vinyl and put it on
white lexan. Now it's peeling off.

Someone just told me it's because I must have put it on the wrong side.
He said that Lexan has a correct side to letter.

Anybody know if this is really true ?

Thanks
JT

Pat Whatley

If that's true I've been damn lucky all these years and always managed to letter the right side out of sheer luck.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Not true of all brands, but true of some. It is a treatment to one side to reduce or eliminate outgassing and also add UV protection. It is normally marked on the protective liner but, on the piece I saw, wasn't all that obvious unless you were looking for it.

trik

We have used a brand called Spartech before, and it is actually clearly labeled. The paper masking has nothing on it, but the clear plastic liner on the uv side has it marked as the side to use. Have signs up over 8 years old with this brand, never an issue.

good luck!

Drip Dry

OK, so if I lettered the wrong side, and I peel off the old, how do I make
the new stay on longer. ( maybe the primer used for wraps on the edges)

Keep in mind this is 6' x 8' and about 15' in the air.
It was near impossible to get this one in place and I sure don't want to do it again to turn it around.

animenick65

Most of the lexan panels we get from our distributor have a clear protective film on both sides. Most of the time, one side is marked "THIS SIDE FACING SUN" meaning the side to letter. Its treated to prevent yellowing.