• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Issues Cutting Foam Core

Glavin_ID

We have been cutting foam core on our Colex for years and never had any issues. A few months back we had a small job and it started tearing the face and/or the foam. Now it happens every time we cut foam core. We tried single and double edge blades, same result. Tried brand new blades, same result. We have always used the same setting but also tried other settings, same result. Tried speeding it up and slowing it down, same result. Let's say we have 5 images across the sheet, it will cut 3 sides of one piece fine then rip the last side, next piece, same thing but a different side will rip, next piece, 3 sides will rip. There is zero consistency. I thought maybe the material we had was bad so we bought more, same result. What are we missing or doing wrong here? Would be curious to know what settings others are using for foam core.

Attachments

• foam.jpg
    foam.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 150

Signstein

Could it be heat (friction)? I don't have a Colex but I know that friction can warm up foam and pvc to the point of becoming sticky, which could cause tearout.

petepaz

just throwing stuff at the wall to see if it sticks but...
could something be out of alignment with the cutter.
maybe the bed or the cutter unit. something off level or not running on the track properly.
based on all the trouble shooting you have done already might want to have a tech come in and look at it

mbasch

I agree with Petepaz. Something out of alignment. My guess is the blade is not straight. It if it even slightly off your not cutting with the sharp part of the blade, you are dragging it across the material. Check blade alignment and the blade holder to make sure all the screws are tight.

Lucky Sky

We also hate traditional paper-faced foam core. It's worth the cost (and we upsale to the customer) for the plastic face foam core. The only downside (besides the cost) is when you drop in on a corner and it breaks the corner.

Superior_Adam

Switch to UltraMount and your problems might go away. yes its a lot more money but charge accordingly. Over the years I have printed and cut down hundreds of cases and never had an issue with it. I have a Zund but knife cutting is pretty straight forward.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Can you try cutting multi-pass and see if just cutting the surface first helps at all? (Assuming you can do multi-pass on a Colex)

These are direct printed or have vinyl applied to them?

JBurton

Signtologist
Sounds like your tool holder got bumped out of square, or it's got slop top to bottom causing the tool/blade to lag/deflect behind, then 'snap' back into place, ripping material along the way.
Though I'm super dumbfounded that it doesn't do a good job at a slower speed

Glavin_ID

Thanks everyone for all your input! I’ll definitely check the tool/blade alignment. We always suggest PVC because like a few have mentioned, we hate foam board too haha.