• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

It is art...

Craig Sjoquist

Yes it is art ..He uses negative space to accent the positive quite well.

1st basic guide line of visual liking.
There is a purpose / function for this creative thought.

That to me really rates.

JBusch260

I'm curious what your opinions would be if he had made an effort to match the actual logo, instead of the shoddy block letters. Do you think it would have impacted the message he was trying to convey positively, or negatively? I can understand the juxtaposition of placing those websites onto the surface of a 3rd world village setting, but it doesn't do much to me aside from a quick "huh...". I'm also curious about the opinions and viewpoints of the villagers that have these things painted on their surfaces. What are your thoughts/opinions?

John Butto

Like I told others, if he put this on 101 without saying where they were, he would get slammed with comments on kerning, wrong font, crooked and of course my favorite, "read some design books". By you (JBusch260) posting what you did it just cemented my view that a lot of members on here have been influence by Simon Cowell. Know matter what opinions, the artist who did this received his 10 minutes of fame on the New Yoke Times.

JBusch260

Haha, Simon Cowell? The only reason that those specific words mean anything to us, is that we know exactly what they are in context of not having their corporate identity mirrored. So with that being said, I was only curious what the effect would be, for us, if he hypothetically had used the identities instead of slapping it up there. Also, in context of the villagers, who most likely don't have accounts, or even ready access to these sites, I was curious how they might view these words on their walls. I was only trying to incite open-ended discussions. As for critiquing this guy's art, I agree with you in that whatever it was worth, it got its 10 minutes of fame.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The only art I see is the composition of taking the picture. The angles, the sky, the peripheral visions, the colors, the wide usage of the camera frame and not focusing on the actual sloppily painted words. Besides, this little exercise of his in trying to establish something..... why didn't he write it in the language of whatever country he was in..... in the first place ?? That kinda defeats the whole thing. Like you said, just another 10 minute fame-r.

peavey123

Haha, Simon Cowell? The only reason that those specific words mean anything to us, is that we know exactly what they are in context of not having their corporate identity mirrored. So with that being said, I was only curious what the effect would be, for us, if he hypothetically had used the identities instead of slapping it up there. Also, in context of the villagers, who most likely don't have accounts, or even ready access to these sites, I was curious how they might view these words on their walls. I was only trying to incite open-ended discussions. As for critiquing this guy's art, I agree with you in that whatever it was worth, it got its 10 minutes of fame.

Personally, I'd be even more turned off his "art" if he painted a perfect logo. That's far too much time and effort put into such a thing. It'd be better art to me if he went to Pakistan and did this. All while we are killing thousands of people via remote control drones. At least then you know his life was in danger for his "art".

Marlene

that is not art. I have seen art. the idea that something evokes a response is art has never made sense to me. finding a big pile of my neighbors dog's crap on my lawn envokes a response too but that also is not art.