• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

It was time to upgrade my cutter but now I am pretty lost ;)

FTLOSM

About 6 yrs ago I bought a small 9 inch craft robo cutter mostly for fun making stencils using them for airbrush and various projects, soon after I learned I could cut vinyl and make stickers with it too then I was hooked!

Mostly as a hobby I just enjoyed using the heck out of the thing trying to cut different media making everything from door and window vinyl using Oracal 651, to stencils using mylar but it's funny when word gets around how many people you know who start asking for things, so I sorta stumbled into doing graphics for walls car windows business glass doors etc. Eventually my little cutter was limiting - it could only take 8 1/2" width, issues with grinding and it just started acting up more and more when I realized it was time to replace it but this time I wanted something that had more flexibility.

I went with a 24" Graphtec CE6000-60 thinking THIS should no doubt do everything I ask and more give me more flexibility in everyway from medias to widths to adjustments.

I have watched the video 2x now installed the included software, I realized I am going to need to get Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator (no problem moreso the problem will be learning to USE it hehe), I guess with my old craft robo I could just import a bitmap hit get outline and it cut, this seems like I have a lot to learn to get to the cut part now.

I am anxious to read and learn about how to get my new cutter here doing the simple stuff like just outlining something and cutting it.

I promise to use search before just posting away, I guess my first thing is to decide corel or illustrator that will be my first search here and on google.

Bill :)

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Welcome to the sand lot. You may have dressed for the little league game, but please understand you'll be attempting to hit against some major league pitchers around here. Yep, it's a whole new ball game, one rewards hard work and perseverance. Hang on and have fun. JB

2B

hands down Corel, much cheaper and IMO more user friendly
Youtube is your friend on leaning how to use corel and how to do larger plotter graphics

+1 to what JB said

FTLOSM

Youtube is your friend on leaning how to use corel and how to do larger plotter graphics

+1 to what JB said

I was looking at corel I can't believe the many different products they have ranging from 50 and up, for what I will be doing with it what is the version I should be looking for and do they offer student or non profit discounts?

Jackpine

Everything they said

Everything they said. Graphtec CE series are a big bang for the buck. You won't be disappointed with your choice. Corel is excellent. Buy the full latest full version not the student version.

+1 to what JB said

OldPaint

nothin like spending money and then TRYIN TO FIGURE OUT how to use what you spent your money on)))))))) you coulda bought an automotive cylinder head plane.........then tried to figure out what it does)))))
that being said:
COREL.........is the most inexpensive cutting software. next is ARTS & LETTERS 8.0 $79.00.......either or YOU WILL HAVE LEARN HOW TO USE IT, theres another problem for you to get past.
AS FOR COREL ACADEMIC.... it is no different then a full version...... usually there are no books with it.

WildWestDesigns

COREL.........is the most inexpensive cutting software. next is ARTS & LETTERS 8.0 $79.00.......either or YOU WILL HAVE LEARN HOW TO USE IT, theres another problem for you to get past.

Inkscape will actually drive my Roland plotter (tried it for laughs over the weekend, it worked just as good as cutting from Corel or Ai). Designing, it might have it's limitations, but if you don't have to accept customer files, it might be a viable option and it would be the most inexpensive (free).

AS FOR COREL ACADEMIC.... it is no different then a full version...... usually there are no books with it.

Not quite the only thing:

http://www.corel.com/corel/pages/index.jsp?pgid=800340&storeKey=us&languageCode=en said:
ACADEMIC SOFTWARE. If the Software is identified as an academic or education edition version in the user documentation, on the packaging of the Software or on the purchase or download page of the website, and You qualify as an academic end user, You may install and access one (1) copy of the Software on up to the permitted number of computers, as agreed to by You and Corel, but only for educational purposes and for no other purpose. Academic versions of the Software may not be used for commercial, professional, or other for-profit purposes. Notwithstanding the foregoing, You are not entitled to use the Software unless You qualify in Your jurisdiction as an academic end user (e.g., student or personal learning versions of the Software may only be used by faculty, staff members and degree, diploma or certificate-seeking students at qualified educational institutions). Contact Corel via Our Academic Software web page (http://www.corel.com/education) or Your local Corel authorized reseller to determine whether You qualify as an academic end user and to learn more about Our academic programs and products. Work product and other data created with academic or education edition versions of the Software may contain certain notices and limitations that make the data unusable outside the educational use area. If You combine or link data created with educational institutional versions, student versions, or personal learning editions of the Software with data otherwise created, then that data may also be affected by these notices and limitations. Corel shall have no responsibility or liability whatsoever if You combine or link data created with educational institutional versions, student versions, or personal learning editions of the Software.

Student and Teacher, Home and Student, Home Edition Addendum. If this Software is clearly labeled a Student and Teacher, Home and Student or Home Edition, Your Use of this Software is governed by the terms of this EULA as modified by the paragraph below. In the event of any conflict between the terms of this EULA and the paragraph below, the paragraph below shall govern. You may install and USE, at the same time, this Student and Teacher, Home and Student or Home Edition Software on up to three (3) computers at Your Address. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this EULA, You may not (a) transfer or assign this Software to a third party; or (b) use this Software for any commercial purpose or in any commercial enterprise or business. This Software may only be used for personal purposes in a non-commercial environment.

Some don't care about the contracts that they enter into, but there are differences between Academic and Commercial beyond rather or not it's a full version or not.

CP Signs

Well I had a computer crash, brought my daughter's laptop to the shop untill my computer was fixed, she has Corel X5 Home and Student, and you CAN'T run macros on it, tried everything to cut but no go. So ya, buy the full version, saw some good deals out there for X5.

Techman

brought my daughter's laptop to the shop untill my computer was fixed, she has Corel X5 Home and Student, and you CAN'T run macros on it, tried everything to cut but no go.

because student versions do not include the VB modules that are needed to run macro's

I was looking at corel I can't believe the many different products they have ranging from 50 and up, for what I will be doing with it what is the version I should be looking for and do they offer student or non profit discounts?

I'm not sure what all you get with Corel when you buy it online, but we bought the retail box package (Corel Draw X5 Suite) a couple years ago and it has a DVD that includes some VERY helpful tutorial videos with some guy from New Zealand, Australia, or somehting. His accent is really annoying but he has serious teaching skills. I worked in Photoshop for many years before getting into the sign industry, but never in a vector based program and I seriously was able to learn most of the basic tools and functions in less than one day. I've tried messing with Adobe Illustrator since then and it is an entirely different beast altogether. I highly recommend Corel Draw.

OldPaint

I dont think macros got anything to do with PLOTTER/CUTTER DRIVERS...depends on your PLOTTER MFG. if they have DRIVERS FOR IT IN HPGL.