• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

It's the sign of the times... another non-pay question...

royster13

There is a lot of talk of pulling the permit......Typically a "contractor" is allowed to apply for a permit in the name of the "owner"......But it is still the owners permit and so long as the agency has been paid they are not likely going cancel the permit......And if the work is finished, the owner can just as easily call for the inspection as any one else....

Jim Doggett

The basics:

A guys buys $82 grand in stuff and probably thinks the hidden thing should have been in the price.

You know about the clause and want your $12 hundred.

$82 grand is a pretty good customer. Maybe you say," OK, [guy] reasonable people can disagree. Whadaya say we split it?

Just a thought

JimJenson

Another consideration about failing to call in the final is that you may be in violation of your own contract, since I am sure materials and workmanship should be able to pass necessary inspections. You may be opening the door for him to file and win the 80k paid so far.

My uneducated opinion is to call the inspection, then either forget about the 1200, split the costs as J Doggett suggests, or file in small claims court.

Best to consult a lawyer.

John L

Thanks for all the thoughts.

I'm sorry, I can't say on here exactly where this particular job is or too many details about it. I don't think that would be wise cause this is a real project, I am not making up a scenario here. Unfortunately for me it isn't in Florida though Dan.. Florida actually is a great state to be in (as contractor) if this kind of thing were to happen to you. They have policy and law that is very favorable to the contractor in many cases.

I did try to talk to the owner though. He immediately said it's not his issue, reminded me we have no agreement between us other than the written permission he gave me to do my thing for the tenant, he suggested I go chase the tenant that hired me.

You can lien property in this area after you obtain a judgement regardless of who hired you for the improvements on the property. Legal cost makes it impractical for the 1200 though. Curious, I just discovered the county records are actually online and if I understand what I am reading, I think there are already various liens on the shopping center.. some dating back to 1989 apparently for various other projects done there. They are all for much larger amounts.

Signage... You mentioned getting a letter from the county to cover my ass? I still have the actual permits, stamped drawings, all in hand. I will keep everything. thanks.

Royster understands the way that many, many municipalities look at permits. It's not fair.. but like I said, the owner is generating some tax money for the county. And that particular outlook substantially applies in ths municipality also. It's a fact, they see me as sort of an "authorized agent", even though I drafted it, applied for it, met the inspectors, and even paid for it. However, I have gotten a verbal from the department head that he will cancel the permits and hand me back everything I submitted in this case. That's why I will be patient with this one. I guess the difference is that I see many of the folks from this particular inspection services department over and over. I have known them for many years. They all know I am a straight shooter.

JimDoggett, I didn't say it before but this guy has been a customer of ours before, 3 other locations. We have always charged for the permits when the job is done, he knows the rules. I kinda see this picture as.. this is his biggest location, the economy is now somewhat drained, his borrowing capacity is maxed out, and the banks are tightening the grip on funds anyway. So I think he is done for a while and he thinks he is done with me now. Negotiate on the permit costs? No, I admit, I didn't try that. But I don't really want to, I paid that out.. why roll over? I am not asking for extra. Just what was agreed to. I didn't leave a few bolts out of the sign structure.. I gave him all of them.

The county is closed from next Thursday until Monday. If I call him on his cell Wednesday at 530PM, you think that should be enough time to draft a check and meet me at the municipal center for donuts and coffee first thing Monday morning when they roll in?

JimJensen, Thats probably good advice.

bossdg

If you are a licensed contractor you should be able to file a lien to secure your interest. The other option would be to develop a relationship with a collection agency (we use one) and turn the account over for collections usually just the threat of collections will cause payment. But I like Jim Doggett's suggestion the best, split the difference with the guy and move on.

even if his ability to borrow has been 'tightened' up...we are talking about 12 $100 bills ... anyone who is able to pay $80,000 for sign(s) and this has multiple locations CAN pay you...he is choosing not to for some reason. there is more to this, i would be having some direct conversations with this client about the 'why' of this matter because i can not imagine for a moment someone that has done repeat business at this level of business 'chumping' you for $1200...something else is going on here.

now that we know more of the story (and i find it interesting how these questions are always presented and then more is added as we go along..why can't we put it all out from the get go and then have a real conversation about the situation at hand?)..but now that we know more of the story and i am doubting at this point that we know 'all' of the story...that i would not press this issue as you very well may lose a very high dollar repeat client...there is something else going on here.

John L

No, not that I can think of anyway. Other than not telling you where it is and who it is, what else do you ned to know? I might not answer. But whats the question?

astro8

I just priced out a job at $84,000..inclusive of permits etc but left mains connection and existing sign removal as an additional.

If I get this I'll let you know how it pans out...see if it follows the usual trend.

John L

Just to follow up.. Interesting course of events recently.

It was like something from the movie "The Firm". I called and cancelled all sign permits, state highway permits, and electrical permits Friday before last. Bonus, they've even since mailed me a refund for the county permits. Inspector says he visited the following Tuesday and personally issued the zoning violation notice directly to my customer.

Customer must have consulted with everyone under the sun cause he didn't call here till Friday, and that isnt like this guy at all. Just as civil on the phone, he says they now have a check waiting for my service guy to pick up and understands that the accounting will now change as a result of having to pull the permits all over again. And it seems they now not only need our procurement services right away to help with the permits for these signs, but he also has another project that he wants channel letters for and, VERY ironically, I currently have another shopping center pylon we are building for the same property owner at another location.

Mr. Tenant is now on full c.o.d. and the top of the watch list of course.

John L

That's Great but why COD.

After all that I would think you would want payment in Full upfront.

That's actually what I meant. It's a fact, this particular customer is paying before we mobilize for anything else.

I have also since made some small changes to our contract conditions to more clearly explain the "end-of-project" policy.