• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Japanese? Kanji

threeputt

I'm hoping someone can furnish me some sort of likeness to what the Kanji forms would be for these words: Fish-Live-Here.

Also the order in which they should be displayed to read in that exact meaning. Top side down, left to right, etc?

Or direct me to a website that will show me.

joeshaul

I imagine it'd be something similar to:
Sakana-wa kochira desu

Sakana being "fish", wa implies the subject of the sentence
Kochira being "this way" (about the closest to "here")
Desu being "is/are"

Sentence structure always has the subject at the start, the verb at the end.

I don't know about the kanji for fish, but here's the hiragana for the sentence. Traditionally japanese read from top right corner to the left, top to bottom. If you have japanese fonts available, below should be a good guestimate. If someone else jumps in that has more exposure to the language, great, most of my japanese is self taught though and I haven't studied for quite awhile (I used to watch anime heavily and would read/study written and oral japanese in my spare time).

threeputt

I imagine it'd be something similar to:
Sakana-wa kochira desu

Sakana being "fish", wa implies the subject of the sentence
Kochira being "this way" (about the closest to "here")
Desu being "is/are"

Sentence structure always has the subject at the start, the verb at the end.

I don't know about the kanji for fish, but here's the hiragana for the sentence. Traditionally japanese read from top right corner to the left, top to bottom. If you have japanese fonts available, below should be a good guestimate. If someone else jumps in that has more exposure to the language, great, most of my japanese is self taught though and I haven't studied for quite awhile (I used to watch anime heavily and would read/study written and oral japanese in my spare time).

Are there some graphics here I'm not seeing? Also, maybe I'm using the wrong word to describe what I'm seeking. Is hiragana the more correct term for the hand-drawn word forms, rather than kanji?

Techman

WRONG!
you are saying,, "this way to the fish"
its spelled wrong too.

Good try though...

This is it..
sakana ga kokoni sundeimasu.

if you want the graphics pm me later.

Never use a translator.. always use a live person.

joeshaul

Thanks for the correction, I couldn't think of any words for Live in Japanese, most every reference I could remember involved is/are. Took me quite a brain strain to even come up with that (I did look up the word for fish though, cause I kept coming up with sashimi).

I never bothered to study about japanese signs, is Ga primarily used over Wa in signage/ads/etc? I seem to recall in conversational, it kind of depended on what's going on as to when to use ga (like for referencing and object that isn't around).

Techman

ka is usually after a question.

Nanji deska? = what tiem is it.

Ari maska = do you have.

Japanese is very difficult to trans late correctly. It all depends on the context.

binki

I'm hoping someone can furnish me some sort of likeness to what the Kanji forms would be for these words: Fish-Live-Here.

Also the order in which they should be displayed to read in that exact meaning. Top side down, left to right, etc?

Or direct me to a website that will show me.

Wasn't that in The Godfather? Luca Brasi

threeputt

So...Techman. Is that the proper order I would display this message. One is sort of a horizontal layout and the other a vertical layout?