• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Job Due Tonight! VP540 Problem

grafixemporium

I'm printing three 30x90 panels on Oracal 3651 Matte to be mounted to polystyrene for a pop-up trade show display. It's a last minute job that is due tonight! Everything was going fine as usual. I printed a small scale test to make sure my colors were good. It looked great.

So I ripped the PDFs in VersaWorks using the same stock matte calendared profile I used for the test print. I ran one of the panels and it started out looking great. The top of the print has a brushed stainless steel alien skin texture. I got about 2 feet into the print (still looking great) when I accidentally scratched some wet ink in a solid black area... ruining that print. So I canceled it, and started over.

The next print started out fine, but then 6 inches into the stainless steel, the print started looking a little purple. I've canceled, reripped, rebooted everything, cleaned the heads, cleaned again, reripped again and I cannot get it to print like it did the first time.

Take a look at the attachment and you can see the first print that looks nice a grey and the 2nd print where the grey fades to purple. Now the
prints are solid purple.

Help! Any ideas??

Attachments

• IMG_1530.jpg
    IMG_1530.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 84

grafixemporium

Gave it a try... unfortunately same results.

I don't get it... I didn't change anything... it just started fading to purple. I just reprinted my original small scale test... and it's purple too! Take a look.

Attachments

• IMG_1536.jpg
    IMG_1536.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 51

anotherdog

Could be a heat thing.
Try shutdown, have a cofee then see if it's back.
That grey tone is so fine, just 1% red/cyan could tilt it.

grafixemporium

The printer is gonna get a long break if I have a heart attack :)

I shut it down... gonna grab some dinner and call my customer. Thanks for the tips. I'll be back in a bit.

grafixemporium

Yeah, I did that. Even pulled the cartridges to make sure the printer was reading the levels correctly. Black is a full new cartridge. Yellow is full too. Cyan and Magenta are at about half according to the printers menu and Versaworks.

TNT

It could be a bad damper wich would cause one of the CMKY colors not to make it to the one of the heads. You should be able to run the test print to find out.

grafixemporium

I did print this before I shut down... it looks fine.

BorderPatrol... look at the test print image I attached before and this one. Even on the purple one... a majority of the print is solid black... and that part looks great.

Attachments

• IMG_1540.jpg
    IMG_1540.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 130

Replicator

If you want to send me the file I could go try and print a smaller version on my VP-540

and see if I have the same problem . . . marc (at) replicatorgraphics (dot) com

It would take just a few minutes to let you know what happens.

Let me know if you need this help.

grafixemporium

file sent replicator... you're awesome. thanks!

border -- printer is cooling. haven't cranked it up yet. will post when i do. did you see my last post though? thanks!

grafixemporium

Printed test... not all yellow is firing.

Yellow cartridge is totally full. Ran Medium cleaning... all yellow is now there in the test print.

Stay tuned...

Border

Well, if it's not showing low ink then I'd try cleaning first. If the cartridge ran dry then you'll probably have to run a cleaning after replacement anyways, to get the ink line filled again.

grafixemporium

You nailed it BorderPatrol. Thank you so much! The normal cleaning I did apparently didn't do the job. Guess I can't think straight when I'm panicking at 10pm.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_1543.jpg
    IMG_1543.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 106