• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Job Wages / Salary

signswi

Even that is not accurate. There are sign designers like a mom and pop slap vinyl on a panel, banner or car, then there are architectural/electrical/pylon sign people...

Panel guy/girl is getting paid 12 an hour, pylon guy/girl may be getting paid 20-30...

Right, which is why I said non-senior print designer. Print designer typically means for offset. You can adjust for your sign career from there depending on the complications of the job. :thumb: Don't know if any "sign designer" wage surveys have ever been done, would be tricky and it's a pretty niche field. I know there are salary surveys for environmental...

signswi

i would like to see designers getting a % of sales commissions. They sell product, but designing it is also part of the sale.

Salesmen get salary plus commission, so why do designers get the shaft? Our workload increases when they make more money, but can't they at least "tip" the designer like you would a server/bartender?
Heck, when I was a server/bartender in college, I used to tip my bus-boys out at the end of my shift out of my own tips for the night. Rightfully so since the more tables I had to serve, the more money I made, but also the more work they had to do for me to make sure my clients were happy and tip me well.

Designers that are crucial to a shop should be asking for equity agreements, definitely. I know of at least one massive sign company which is completely employee owned and all new employees vest towards ownership as well.

anotherdog

I remember what a nightmare it was working as a designer in a marketing company when your only contact with the client was through the sales lizard. Like trying to thread a needle wearing mittens, I never really knew what the custmer was wanting... only what the sales guy wanted to sell.

Last edited:

Replicator

Rick, they did not say why they did not hire me, but I can only assume there were several reasons including, but not limited to: over qualification, required wages, age, etc.

I do know they hired a gal . . . Maybe they wanted a smoother, more laid back atmosphere that a man can't provide like the feminine persuasion can :)