• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

John Don't Go!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
It's funny when someone makes fun of me...

How do you know I am not handicapped and this is very insulting to me?

Now you're in trouble:

2. Never use the term “handicapped parking.” Use “accessible parking” instead.
Handicapped parking is still in use (e.g., when referring to parking placards), though the word “handicapped” is offensive and has been virtually eliminated in most other contexts.
Remove it from your organization’s vocabulary completely by using the term “accessible parking.” (It’s also more accurate, as accessible describes the parking and handicapped does not.)
(http://www.diversityinc.com/things-...ers-6-things-never-to-say-about-disabilities/)

wayne k
guam usa

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It's funny when someone makes fun of me...

How do you know I am not handicapped and this is very insulting to me?

:pops_blinking:

What I found funny was the exchange of posts and, unlike much of your hero's image uploads, had nothing to do with your physical appearance or mental capacity.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I'm not sure it has much to do with the thickness of skin of anybody, or anyone needing "to put up with" with what they or the moderator of the site deems as offensive or behavior outside the stated conduct policy. To me, its just that simple.

IMHO, throwing any of it back on those feeling the insult or pinpointed as the target of the insult falls into the "blaming the victim" category...

Maybe when you grow up it will become clear to you if you choose to be offended or insulted at something you chosen to be so. It's your choice, you and you alone get to deal with it. There might be many things you could do but insisting that someone else alter their behavior in order to accommodate your prejudices isn't one of them.

On your last point, I didn't get condescension at all. I got, "I'm willing to overlook the feelings of others, so I can keep getting advice from someone I know to cross certain boundaries. That my friend is a very self-interested lack of empathy for others and a major character flaw in the typical, prevalent American mindset.

Its what allows 1 in 4 women to be sexually assaulted during their lifetime because we don't want to lose face with "the guys". Its what allows the news media to focus on how a particular young black male might be dressed or was arrested for something in their youth instead of the fact that he was innocently gunned down by a BART transit cop in the case of Oscar Grant ( as depicted in Fruitvale Station ), or in Ferguson recently, or in Sanford, FL or any of the other myriad of similar cases.

Its what excuses animal cruelty, mean spirited bullying in schools, passerbys casually walking past victims of crimes, etc. etc.

Am I piling on for effect? Probably, but I don't see the difference in any of it.

There's plenty of meanness in the world, most of us don't come here to get more of it and shouldn't have to choose between, "putting up with it" or not participating.

Perhaps in the diseased liberal mind choosing to be offended ranks right up there with being shot, stabbed, raped, or having someone crush your instep. Taking offense is your choice, the other physical violences not so much.

"Shouldn't have to choose"? Sadly, in this particular external reality, you always have a choice** and you always have to choose.

**Except when you don't, but I don't have the time or desire to explain the differences to you.

TimToad

I'm plenty grown up and that old wives tale you neocons keep repeating to yourselves about when you liberals "grow up' you'll go to the extreme right too, is the same kind of narrow minded, factually vacant wishful thinking that keeps your side of the political pendulum nothing more than a tiny minority of thought in this great and wonderful experiment in democracy we live in.

Its a pretty sick and sad world you live in when advocating mutual respect for others, empathy for those under attack, adherence to the rules of a forum, holding people accountable for their actions and transgressions are viewed as a "prejudice" or symptoms of a "disease".

throwing the insults around so freely doesn't gin you one iota of respect from me and simply proves you're not much better than the guy this stupid thread was created for.

This whole thread bores me and its outlived any usefulness to anyone involved, so I'm done.

David Wright

I'm plenty grown up and that old wives tale you neocons keep repeating to yourselves about when you liberals "grow up' you'll go to the extreme right too, is the same kind of narrow minded, factually vacant wishful thinking that keeps your side of the political pendulum nothing more than a tiny minority of thought in this great and wonderful experiment in democracy we live in.

Its a pretty sick and sad world you live in when advocating mutual respect for others, empathy for those under attack, adherence to the rules of a forum, holding people accountable for their actions and transgressions are viewed as a "prejudice" or symptoms of a "disease".

throwing the insults around so freely doesn't gin you one iota of respect from me and simply proves you're not much better than the guy this stupid thread was created for.

This whole thread bores me and its outlived any usefulness to anyone involved, so I'm done.

Why the political and broad cultural references here.
Neocon? How did you arrive at that, am I on Salon's website?

TimToad

So, the poster who turned it political and made a few overtly political judgements and stereotypical insults gets off scott free in your critique of why things on the thread turned political? I wonder if its because you're politically more aligned with his perspective?

Like I said last night, this thread is dead weight dragging the whole site down.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
So, the poster who turned it political and made a few overtly political judgements and stereotypical insults gets off scott free in your critique of why things on the thread turned political? I wonder if its because you're politically more aligned with his perspective?...

Political? Are you unhinged?

The point, at least one of them, which seems to elude you, is that each and every human being is responsible for itself, its choices, and its own condition. You are exactly what you have chosen to be. What you are is the sum total of all of the choices you have made in your life. Those choices include whether to be offended or insulted nor not at any given time.

The other point being that no human being has ever been dealt any harm by words. At least no harm that they didn't chose for themselves.

Joe Diaz

You know bob, for someone who claims that being upset with other's comments is a choice, you sure seem to choose to get worked up by other's comments an awful lot.

TimToad

The other point being that no human being has ever been dealt any harm by words. At least no harm that they didn't chose for themselves.

I reckon in the wild, wild west or wherever the hell it is you reside the very real and very injurious actions of slander and libel don't exist. Just more blaming the victim, so one never has to be held accountable for one's actions.

In your world view, victims of slander and libel chose to have someone disparage them to the point of impacting their business or personal interests and possibly their physical safety?

Wow! That sounds like a pretty scary place to be.

phototec

Hadn't actually occurred to me, but that is another brilliant observation!

...but I'll have Chinese!

Hey Doug, good to see you on here again, for a long time I didn't see any posts from you, so welcome back, (or maybe you been here and I just didn't notice)?

Back on topic, I'll have some Loco Moco, (I wish, I haven't had any since being on the island in 1970)....

:smile: