Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Just checking - Strengths

Discussion in 'Classroom Assignments' started by Robert Armerding, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Robert Armerding

Robert Armerding Merchant Member

Mar 3, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Are you interested in developing and improving your own unique strengths? Talents?
    Over the years of my sign making experience, I have read several books on strengths. I have just started reading, “It’s The Manager” by Jim Clifton and Jim Harter. Published by Gallup Press in 2019.
    One of their questions is, “Is there someone at work who encourages my development?”
    It goes on to say, “The new purpose of business -- and the future of work -- has to include maximizing human potential.”
    Is there anyone else here on s101 that has similar interests? Just checking.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    And I thought this book was about Bethlehem

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  3. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Just two simple rules for employers here...

1) Train them well enough so they could go to work anywhere

2) Treat them well enough so they never want to leave

JB

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. James Burke

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Baaahhhhh! That's funny!

JB

5. Robert Armerding

Mar 3, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Thank you for catching that.

6. Reveal1

Reveal1 Active Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    The book you're thinking of is the all time best selling self-improvement book.

• Like Like x 5
  7. CMYKENGINEERING

CMYKENGINEERING Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Santa Monica
    Can you imagine a reality where maximizing human potential had primarily to do with the place we go to make money? Can you imagine refining your character, exploring your God-given gifts, and growing as a human being, only to have the small-mindedness to relate it only to the workplace?

Robert, I'm sure you mean well, but my pursuit of personal development will never start in the context of the workplace or as a manager. Seek instead unchanging Truth and not simply truisms, and the workplace will be a natural offshoot of your bettered self.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Robert Armerding

Mar 3, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    A big thank you to all who have taken the time to read this thread and to those who have replied. I am really interested to see how this unfolds.

9. Robert Armerding

Mar 3, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    I think I understand your premise a little. I wonder, have you read the book? I am only a few chapters into it. (Could I have your permission to send a DM about your webpage?)

10. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I think he's reading from a different book... a Good Book

• Like Like x 2
  11. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

On this subject, I feel like those of us with happy employees will comment differently than those of us that work alone, or are unhappy employees ourselves.

Most of us spend the best hours of our lives at work. Our most productive time of the day, from our teenage years into our sixties and beyond. If one doesn't connect at least some of that time with their own growth and positive self worth, it seems like quite the waste to me.

12. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Very Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Chicken or the egg. People with good character attract and retain happy employees. A negative work environment is generally created from a negative owner/manager and attracts the same.
    If someone has to read a book to figure out how to run a business or be a good person, chances are it will be a futile effort.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    That's why I though all those books were silly, you can't change the personality of people. Most people are where they are because they belong there and no amount of preaching will change their way of thinking.

14. James Burke

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that people actually "belong" where they are, because there a gazillion factors involved here. The ability for self-improvement is at the highest tier of Moslow's hierarchy, and the majority of people exist at the second or third level in the workplace.

Some of us are naturally hardwired to elevate to the upper levels.

JB

Moslow.jpg

15. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    So we harken back 500,000 years ago and a Archaic human who is pondering his job in the tribe as a hunter, to go and kill that Mammoth over in the valley, or go and visit that pretty Neanderthal female who lives in a cave nearby. She tells him of his human potential and strengths and he likes that, it gets him to thinking!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  16. James Burke

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    I've heard that people groups from subsistence societies are a lot happier than their first-world counterparts. I think about that every time my wealthy colleague calls to tell me about his money-induced problems.

JB

17. Reveal1

Reveal1 Active Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Agree 100% with 50% of that Tex. During one of the many seminars I took during my management days, one nugget of wisdom I still remember. That was the difference between personality and behavior and that 'You can't change someone's personality, but you CAN change their behavior.' Just need to help the person understand how exhibiting behavior that may seem counter to their personality characteristics can benefit them. Not easy, but have seen it happen many times.

18. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    So why is it, all married couples say........ you aren't the man I married or the woman I married ??

19. Jester1167

Jester1167 Premium Subscriber

Because men marry women hoping they won't change, and women marry men hoping they can change them...

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

Core personality traits may not change. That might be right, but little things can change about a person and that can make a huge difference. My overarching goals and beliefs are very much the same as they were when I started in this business 13 years ago, but my approach to achieving them has changed a bit. The stories I tell to help my employees understand have changed. My patience has improved. I am more consistent and persistent than I was when I was younger.

• Agree Agree x 1