• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just for fun...has anyone made a video on the entire sign/decal process?

Stacey K

I like making signs
Again - this is just out of curiosity. I have a storefront and get many, many requests for small walk in decals, the majority of which I turn down. It's a small town and I feel that sometimes "word gets around" that I'm too expensive or "lazy" or "too busy". It's sometimes difficult to explain to people the reason "why" and that it's not just a press of the print button and a $2 charge. I was considering making a video of the process and explaining how the pricing is generally set-up, why there is a minimum charge and what that charge includes and posting it on my FB page for something fun. We have a couple businesses in the area that do some videos on certain things and I always find it fascinating that there's more to a process that meets the eye. I get motivated to share more on FB because of Patriot Works and all of his homemade videos.

Kind of like a "where does my decal come from" kind of video.

Do you think people might find this interesting if done in a positive way or is this a waste of time?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I have thought about it. I have a list of videos i need/want to make. I just have some more important things to do i guess.
I did this video on instagram not to long ago... but it makes the process look too simple.

It's also a reminder the codecs on iphones suck and makes editing in premier pro annoying.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CalHrROtXeh/

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't. It's none of their bees wax. The wrong people will find it interesting and poo-poo you for whatever they deem wrong. Also, you'd hafta get permission and share the manufacturers names to make sure they're alright with you representing their company. I know many people do this stuff, but there's no reason for it.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Again - this is just out of curiosity. I have a storefront and get many, many requests for small walk in decals, the majority of which I turn down. It's a small town and I feel that sometimes "word gets around" that I'm too expensive or "lazy" or "too busy". It's sometimes difficult to explain to people the reason "why" and that it's not just a press of the print button and a $2 charge. I was considering making a video of the process and explaining how the pricing is generally set-up, why there is a minimum charge and what that charge includes and posting it on my FB page for something fun. We have a couple businesses in the area that do some videos on certain things and I always find it fascinating that there's more to a process that meets the eye. I get motivated to share more on FB because of Patriot Works and all of his homemade videos.

Kind of like a "where does my decal come from" kind of video.

Do you think people might find this interesting if done in a positive way or is this a waste of time?
Someone should call the producers of "How it's Made". I enjoy that show.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Someone should call the producers of "How it's Made". I enjoy that show.
"on this episode on how it's made, we'll show you how a die cut sticker is produced"
- intro proceeds on showing how cast and calendared vinyl is first created,
- starting off with creating the vinyl liquid
- liquid getting poured and turned into a long continuous vinyl sheet.
Commercial break
- They now show how the backing paper is created with the wax release agent.
print shop stuff
customer gets their stickers

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
F*ck that show. They'd say, "once the vinyl is loaded into the printer, the printer operator hits print, and the printer prints the print... Now the print is ready to be applied" They always leave out critical details and complicated steps, either because it's intellectual property protection, or because it's too complicated to explain in a 5 minute clip.
I really hate that show...
I never had an issue with them leaving out the common sense parts.

Boudica

F*ck that show. They'd say, "once the vinyl is loaded into the printer, the printer operator hits print, and the printer prints the print... Now the print is ready to be applied" They always leave out critical details and complicated steps, either because it's intellectual property protection, or because it's too complicated to explain in a 5 minute clip.
I really hate that show...
They condense it - because they've got to edit it all down to 20 minutes. They are turning a novel into a short story - somethings gotta be left out

Boudica

and then sit on S101 making fun of people for 20 mins while the stickers print.
making fun of people - or stealing someone's coveted two thousandth post. ...while they are driving to work and helpless to stop you. ruining birthday wishes...
oh sorry, wrong thread.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hahaaa..... yeah, but it still fits.

How's the freelancing coming along ?? Does the word 'hostage' mean anything ??

MacD

just a press of the print button and a $2 charge

Don't forget you have to have some form of receipt. You have to create a job ticket for billing or accounting purposes. Have to save file in your system and have some way to find it again.
People think you are their secretary. Come in 4 years later and want a few more. What you don't have my file/artwork you just did it.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Me and my boyfriends son in law want to create a youtube channel on what goes on in our shop. Mainly because I think we have an interesting little crew around here. And my boyfriend is so deadpan funny with the stuff he comes up with. I hate the videos where people with wrap a mirror and they get it to a point and then video the last part and say, "it just wraps itself".

I always say there's a minimum to a decal. it's $25. no matter what size. Then I will put you in on a print run.
We had a police officer who came in and wanted reflective decals for his motorocycle and helmet. He tried to influence us with, "i'm a police officer so you can cut me a deal." While I'm nice, money is money and reflective is expensive, hard to come by right now, and tears up a blade. This dude wanted me to give him a deal on about 4 stickers out of reflective when that would have been the only thing on that print run. nope, sorry, not even for a police officer.