• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just got the Roland Tru VIS MG UV, considering air scrubber for smell does it work?

depps74

Just wondering how the attached air scrubber does on smell? I did not realize how much smell these uv's give off. It's getting into my clothes and makes me dizzy. I got about 1000 sq ft with plenty of windows (closed now for winter) 10 ft ceiling.

anyone have a UV that successfully dealt with the smell? mostly worried about my health. says it safe, but makes me dizzy and just annoying gets in the clothes, and stinking up other parts of building so hoping I don't get complaints.

ProColorGraphics

I have the Amaircare ones and they work great. I have (3) of them with my flatbed. Here is where I got mine.

SlikGRFX

You get used to the smell after a couple months. UV ink just smells, even when the printer isn’t printing. The ink cartridges themselves smell. We run a Bofa filter which reduces the smell during printing but causes other problems like pulling dust into the printer (we run a lot of gloss varnish jobs) so we had to build a clean room. The best option is to put it in a separate room. Better results overall and solves the smell problem.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I can't seem to get a straight answer though on the harm, do they cause cancer?
If you can smell it, the particles are getting into your lungs and bloodstream. Just because someone says it doesn't cause cancer today, doesn't mean it's not tomorrow lead. Do whatever you can to separate yourself from the fumes. Notareal is right about the ozone. The UV lights make ozone that is bad for health.

depps74

FYi I am prob going to sell this thing,
If you can smell it, the particles are getting into your lungs and bloodstream. Just because someone says it doesn't cause cancer today, doesn't mean it's not tomorrow lead. Do whatever you can to separate yourself from the fumes. Notareal is right about the ozone. The UV lights make ozone that is bad for health.
Yeah I am going to sell it. Big purchase, but I cant take this shit anymore making me all sorts of dizzy. I dont trust the safety sheets either, if its just the ink that the fact that it gets into my clothes means its vapor in the air even when its not working.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Doing it in house ain't worth the health risks to me. I'm not going to find out I took 20 years off my life with lung cancer or Alzheimer's at 50 because I was huffing ink fumes all day. If you can smell those particles on your clothes, it's sitting in your lungs.

I'm probably going off into left field, but "air fresheners", scented laundry soap, all that stuff has "fragrance" in it. The government does not require anyone to list what those chemicals are to protect trade secrets...so those companies don't share what you are breathing and putting on your body. Sensitive people get headaches from perfume or laundry detergent...that tells you there is something in there that's getting into our body and doing something.

josephF

Why don't you just extract the fumes out one of those windows you mentioned? That is what I do with my LG300. I have an inline fan and I 3dprinted a mount under the machine that goes to the place the BOFA machine attaches to, then I pipe those fumes out the window. The smell is gone completely and I don't have any of those dizzy nauseous feelings you are mentioning. My whole setup cost like 150 dollars?

I even had a Roland Tech and my Dealer Tech mention how they were surprised there was no fume smell when they walked into place and the machine was printing all day.

Johnny Best

VOC is what will cause cancer and those are heavier than air and close to floor. You need a good scrubber with charcoal to get the VOC fumes taken awaway. They get trapped in the charcoal and need replacing about every two years. The more charcoal the better the scrubber.

depps74

Why don't you just extract the fumes out one of those windows you mentioned? That is what I do with my LG300. I have an inline fan and I 3dprinted a mount under the machine that goes to the place the BOFA machine attaches to, then I pipe those fumes out the window. The smell is gone completely and I don't have any of those dizzy nauseous feelings you are mentioning. My whole setup cost like 150 dollars?

I even had a Roland Tech and my Dealer Tech mention how they were surprised there was no fume smell when they walked into place and the machine was printing all day.
Hi Joseph, Do you happen to have a a picture of this? I thought about doing this, I have a separate room I can put it in and thought to pipe it out that window, my only concern is temperature? Want that window being open cause temps below 60 degrees in the winter? Maybe not if all the air is going out? Would love to chat with you more about this if you have time for a call

depps74

I suppose this means every time I manually clean it that is a big blast of VOC right? The Data sheet says they are only harmful as not cured. Well the whole capping station is uncured! Would you recommend the Roland brand scrubber or the other one mentioned Amaicare on this thread?
VOC is what will cause cancer and those are heavier than air and close to floor. You need a good scrubber with charcoal to get the VOC fumes taken awaway. They get trapped in the charcoal and need replacing about every two years. The more charcoal the better the scrubber.

Johnny Best

The one that is metioned on this thread is a good scrubber. One called Island, or something like that is also a really goiod one. Amount of charcoal is important. VOC is what is harmfull. the smell is just the chemicals reacting to each other and not that harmful.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Doing it in house ain't worth the health risks to me. I'm not going to find out I took 20 years off my life with lung cancer or Alzheimer's at 50 because I was huffing ink fumes all day. If you can smell those particles on your clothes, it's sitting in your lungs.

I'm probably going off into left field, but "air fresheners", scented laundry soap, all that stuff has "fragrance" in it. The government does not require anyone to list what those chemicals are to protect trade secrets...so those companies don't share what you are breathing and putting on your body. Sensitive people get headaches from perfume or laundry detergent...that tells you there is something in there that's getting into our body and doing something.
Nervous system damage is the main concern. Most, if not all, of the chemicals that are used in printing/painting warn of this. AFAIK, it's slow and cumulative so the damage won't typically show until much later in life and by then you can't go backwards in time and reverse it. Masks, fume extractors, restricted access to print areas, separated non occupied areas for printers, nitrile gloves, long sleeves, long pants, safety goggles etc should be implemented. As an owner, that is your minimum responsibility to your employees. What the owner chooses to do for themselves is a different story of course.