• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just gotta rant...

TheSnowman

Had a guy call the other day and wanted a quote on (20) 18" X 24" signs. Sure, no problem. He was all chatty trying to be my BFF and wouldn't just talk about what he wanted. Eventually when we got to it, I could tell by the conversation thus far, and his want for "just as basic as possibly black letters on yellow cor-x" that he was going to be a pain in the butt customer. I didn't really have time for the job, nor want it, so I priced accordingly that it would be worth my time if I got it.

I tell him the price, and he starts going on and on about how he can get it from company X around the corner (the notorious lowballer in town that started his business by working for another guy in town, and taking his pricing sheets, and customer list, and calling all of his customers) for half that price, and that there's no reason my price should be that high. I flat out said "Those guys basically work for free, and are notorious lowballers in town. I will never be cheaper than them, because I refuse to work for free, and I'd like to stay in business. If you want to go there, that's totally fine with me, because that's my price."

The guy was taken back like he couldn't believe that I didn't want to lower my price to get the job. Am I just crazy to think that I should be able to say this is my price, and just have them go somewhere else if they don't like it? If I go somewhere and don't like the price, I just say thanks, and I go about my life, and go to where I do like the price, or the service, or whatever it is that draws me to the other options.

Stuff like this just gets me fired up. I moved to a retail location about 7 years ago, and it seems like now, I can make get $1,000 order from an email that requires zero back and fourth, or I can jack around with these walk ins and phone calls, and get attacked about how my prices are higher than the other guy.

End rant...just needed to vent.

gabagoo

So if he can get a cheap price from the town low baller, why does he waste his time coming to you? I get this all the time too...I just give them a price and when they say it's too much, I say goodbye

ExecuPrintGS

We get walk-ins all the time who end up complaining about our price compared to our local lowballer, and in the same breath complain about the lowballers quality...
Walk-ins are the entertainment of the day...

reQ

Happens all the time yup. Had a guy wih 14'x7' cube van, wanted to decal both sides (use all widthxheight ) and back sliding door. I told him roughly 1000-1200 without knowing wtf exactly needs to be done. Hes eyes went up, told me he had it done for A LOT LESS before and he walked out.

Usually they either don't have another guy in town or the guy in town makes really horrible signs for that price and the guy isn't happy with his work. Just his prices. You get what you payed for guy. I have no problem turning down work if it doesn't profit.

David Wright

You're not crazy or out of line at all.

Walk ins are brutal...........even dealing with phone calls and email requests eats up too much time for us.

I'm honestly thinking of just flat out telling people we're not accepting new customers at the moment.

(Hey if doctors can not accept new patients.........)

Unless they want a banner for their gay wedding.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Tell him if he didn't waste half your time talking about what he could get if for, you probably could have done it.

Chasez

I would be telling the guy to go blow... We get that all the time, "is this your best price" and sometimes I just want to increase my price and say no this is my best price in hopes they go away.. unfortunately that's good not business.

There's always someone around the corner that loves to work for free... let them... soon they'll realize that they're just breaking even and go back to working for guys who like to make some money on a job.

Chaz

reQ

Lol. Here is another one, walked in 5 mins ago.

I want to wrap a semi truck, from hood to the back. Telling him, roughly $1200 for what he wants (roughly 150 sq/ft of material for what he needs)

He says right away - Woah, don't even bother giving me exact quote, there is a guy (150km away) that will do it for $500.00

All i said - Thats a very good deal, nothing i can do on my end to be even close to that price.

Jillbeans

I so do not miss having a sign phone, and walk-in tire kickers.
I do what I do, I charge what I charge, after 30 years I am not giving away something for nothing.
Signs are just a hobby for me these days.
Love....jill

Chasez

Lol. Here is another one, walked in 5 mins ago.

I want to wrap a semi truck, from hood to the back. Telling him, roughly $1200 for what he wants (roughly 150 sq/ft of material for what he needs)

He says right away - Woah, don't even bother giving me exact quote, there is a guy (150km away) that will do it for $500.00

All i said - Thats a very good deal, nothing i can do on my end to be even close to that price.

Gotta love these guys that do it for nothing... IF these people actually have someone else who gave those quotes.... one of the few businesses where someone buys a 24" plotter and printer and calls themselves a sign guy... screws all the rest of us who have put the years in to get to where we are.

Chaz

Z SIGNS

I feel your pain but

I can smell this kind of customer a mile away and nothing gives me greater pleasure than showing them the door.
I avoid this kind of customer and if I have to engage them I politely give them the boot.
When I say "NO" to a customer like this this I am freed up to be able pursue some nice work.

Herbert Hoover had his "chicken in every pot"

Chinese printer manufactures are determined to have a printer in every garage.

Their demand is fueled by low balling sign people and the the customers who seek the low ballers out.
We all know what this has done to the old "bread and butter"sign work.

I believe unless you have top notch design skills and a stable full of discerning customers trying to make a decent profit off yard signs,magnetics,banners and all the other stuff that no longer requires a special skill,overhead or equipment to produce is a thing of the past.

Yes it's frustrating but this is the way it is now a days.

rjssigns

I've recently said this to more than one "client": I've grown quite fond of not going hungry and having a warm place to sleep and you're not helping with that.

Fun to watch them trying to think up a response.

Marlene

not sure if these guys really think we are impressed with the "guy down the street is cheaper". I always wonder why are you fioghting with me for a lower price when you clearly price shopped and have found one.

TheSnowman

Glad to see I'm not the only one dealing with these people, and them making me furious. We put out some nice stuff, and even though we kind of stick to those kinds of signs that anyone can do...we do them better, and we normally end up upselling...so I think that's what keeps us going with the good customers that are low drama.

And reQ, if you had someone that didn't like your quote at $8/sq ft for a wrap...send them my way. They'll feel like they got a deal from you, cause I won't touch one for under $10/sq ft.

Kwiksigns

wookie
one guy just went out of business in my area... doing food truck full wraps for $1000-1500. I laughed at my client when he said he got his last one done for that... It is failing left and right btw

reQ

And reQ, if you had someone that didn't like your quote at $8/sq ft for a wrap...send them my way. They'll feel like they got a deal from you, cause I won't touch one for under $10/sq ft.

Its harder and harder to sell wraps for me now. To many lowball offers on the table for customers. I don't get it, why so called "competition" takes the job just to do the job, with barely making any money after they are done. I am trying not to stress over it, just keep doing other jobs.

TXFB.INS

Its harder and harder to sell wraps for me now. To many lowball offers on the table for customers. I don't get it, why so called "competition" takes the job just to do the job, with barely making any money after they are done. I am trying not to stress over it, just keep doing other jobs.

no only are competitors driving the cost lower and lower each and every day, you also have to worry about vendors undercutting you and selling directly to the public at prices lower than what you can get the material for.

http://www.cheetahwrap.com/about-cheetah-wrap/

THANKS FELLERS!!!!!!!!!!!