• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just gotta rant...

MikePro

educate your potential clients on the fact that lowballers cut corners, always have, always will.
YOUR media/expertise will outlast theirs, and you'll stand-by your warranty. ....where lowballers will cash the check, and stop taking phone calls if/when their product starts to fail.

besides, tire-kickers have no place in my shop. Too much going on with paying clients to sit there haggling over a couple of $$$.
Offer to let them pay cash, and knock off the extra 5% built-into our pricing to offset the costs of charging everything through a credit card company, but that's about all I'd do.

MikePro

no only are competitors driving the cost lower and lower each and every day, you also have to worry about vendors undercutting you and selling directly to the public at prices lower than what you can get the material for.

http://www.cheetahwrap.com/about-cheetah-wrap/

THANKS FELLERS!!!!!!!!!!!

talked to my fellers-rep, and they will match/beat their cheetah-wrap pricing ....if you request it.
still...beyond me why they didn't simply raise the cheetah-wrap pricing, to equal or greater than their catalog prices. kinda b.s. they would undercut themselves off the get-go and shine a light on their catalog markups.

TXFB.INS

talked to my fellers-rep, and they will match/beat their cheetah-wrap pricing ....if you request it.
still...beyond me why they didn't simply raise the cheetah-wrap pricing, to equal or greater than their catalog prices. kinda b.s. they would undercut themselves off the get-go and shine a light on their catalog markups.

That right there is what chaps my @$$, the fact you are going to sell to the general public for less than the dedicated vinyl users (who have been using you for years) and then we have to contact you and negotiate for the same pricing you are freely offering to the general public.........

This is why I am pushing the higher ups to move away from them, would rather spend a couple more dollars to have a loyal supplier

Rant over, now back to the "walk-ins" :peace!:

synergy_jim

I quoted a job at double rate last week for a PITA like this. He accepted... SMH...

As for the lowball guys, I promptly ask them " Why are you talking to me then?"

...... Click......

TimToad

So if he can get a cheap price from the town low baller, why does he waste his time coming to you? I get this all the time too...I just give them a price and when they say it's too much, I say goodbye

Because he thinks so highly of himself that he feels the need to give everybody in town the "opportunity" to have the "privilege" of doing his little PITA jobs. He feels so important that he has turned his boorishness into what he considers a civic duty to brow beat everybody into submission. Like the town leaders are gonna erect a frickin' statue of him or something.

Just once, I'd love to tell the handful of these we have that, "Sorry, but your one time couple hundred dollar just isn't worth the $1,000+ aggravation you impose on me to do it."

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
It always seems to be the 'coro sign' customers. Because they saw that sign on the corner for "100 Coro signs for $6" each. When I tell them $40 for 1 and they choke....gotta love it. And when you explain screen printing/high volume/blah blah blah....they still don't get it.

TimToad

I just had one the other day who the previous owner had put up with on some RV decal job that he gave away as per usual. She sends me these images and says, "let your creativity run free, we want it way bigger, more creative than before, don't use the same fonts as before, etc.."

She also sent a new layout she got from the lowballers she used the time before my predecessor who actually cut the decals on the truck and after peeling them off prior to trade in, she had to pay to have the whole truck repainted. So, even though they had ruined her other truck and cost her thousands to get it repainted, she STILL went back to them this time again to for another round of grief.

The whole time, I'm sensing total PITA and so I forward a few preliminary ideas and pricing and I tell her that we need a commitment before we spend any real design time on it. She emails back that I hadn't followed her instructions and she just wanted it like the first one, just bigger. I copied and pasted her original email instructions back to her with all that garbage about letting my creativity run free and said, we couldn't proceed without a 50% deposit and clear directions on how she wants it to look.

Its been two days and no word from her yet. Not losing sleep over it either.

Jillbeans

Re-visiting this rant to add:

I got that CheetahWraps postcard the other day in the mail, their logo looks like the 9th circle of hell.

Also, I stopped doing coro and vinyl last year. I hate it, and no matter what, it is never cheap enough for the customer. I have turned down maybe $2K of vinyl/coro jobs in the past month because it is just not worth the aggravation.

If you want to pay me to do my job well, and paint a quality sign or design a logo that will make you money, we'll talk. Otherwise, have a nice day.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Had a lady come in about a week ago, while I wasn't at the shop. Was told she spoke VERY broken English, but he figured she wanted a front window re-lettered. Later, I emailed the lady with a cost and timeframe. Heard nothing. Thursday, she came in to the shop again and said the other guy was about $200 cheaper than me. Okay, so have him do it. I quoted $350 and numbnuts quoted her $150. I told her ya get what you pay for and started to say goodbye and good luck and all that happy horsesh!t, but she wouldn't leave...... and neither would her horrible perfume. Anyway, I asked her, what does she want ?? She asked for a minimized quote. A what ?? Reduction in cost, you know, less money. Ohhhh.... Okay, I'll do it for $340. Got her purse out... handed me $180 in cash and I told her I'd be out Tuesday. I'm doing one word in blue block lettering and two phone numbers, one yellow, one red. The rest of the copy stays on the window. I'm happy and evidently, so is she by getting $10. knocked off. :Big Laugh