• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just looking for Advice

reddog

Hello All,
I may be opening myself up for a bombardment of negative comments but I figured what the heck if I don’t ask I won’t get the help I am looking for; so here it goes.
I have been lurking here for a while reading post and learning as much as I can absorb. I do appreciate the forum and all the information and support you give to one another. I don’t want to write a novel but I do want to ask some questions. I have done some searching but I haven’t been able to find what I am looking for.
I am at a point in my life where I have reached a crossroads. I am a member of the Army National Guard. I have been injured in Iraq and now cannot go back to my carrier as a police officer. I tell you this not looking for sympathy but looking for advice.
I am going through a vocational rehabilitation program and they are offering to retrain me. I have some sign business experience (I used to work at one a very long time ago) and I thought this may be the way to go. The question I have for you all is this.
If you were to start out today fresh, knowing that you needed specialized equipment to help you run your business what would you do? Would you go one brand on everything ie. Roland printer, plotter, etc or would you mix and match? What printer and plotter would you want if you could get a nice midline good starter machine? I know that I am not going to be able to start out with the top of the line stuff but I am wondering what machines everyone here is fond of. Which ones treat you right?
I need most of this info so that I can do some research for my business plan. I know what all the manufactures say. I know why they believe they are the best what I want to know is; what you all feel. What machines are good to go and what ones should I stay away from. Obviously I won’t be getting the cheap china made ones off E-bay but this investment is worth asking around about.
Also I am wondering what sign making software you all prefer. Is there one that is more “user friendly” then the others? One that does more then the others?
Also last thing (I promise I know this is a long post) but any and all tips that you would give a guy that is looking at opening up shop would be helpful. If you would like I would LOVE some PM’s with any and all information you would like to share.
Here is a little bit about what I have planned (hoping that it will help) this will be a small home based business. I have an outbuilding that is a nice building that I am currently using for storage that will become the shop it is roughly 16X20 and three levels. That will be the place of business. I have started all the business paperwork ie. licenses’, legal, business plan etc etc I am just looking for any and all advice for a new guy.
If you could start all over fresh, Knowing then what you know now, what would you do to set yourself up for success? How would you set up your business to be the best it possibly could?
Sorry for the long post but any and all help in would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kendall

dclet

Coreldraw, and a Summa cutter all you need to get started. Summa provides a plug-in to get you started immediately. Do not buy into the "industry standard" applications....

Corel will do everything you need it to...I promise :)

http://www.summastore.com/ - lease it if you have to, they are worth it...even a used Summa is a better machine then those "cheap china made" ones...

Sub any print jobs out for the time being, spend time and find a good knowledgeable wholesaler.....

any questions feel free. :)
Good luck.

cOrKinSA

Don't go cheap on the Plotter. Call some distributors and ask them if they have any floor models if you must. I bought a Master Cutter off a friend of mind that thought he could do it but was wrong and although it did last for a long time, it was nowhere near reliable as it need to be.

As far as software you will find them all to be top notch but pricey. Maybe look into getting a plug-in for a cheaper design software. Fred knows more info about that then I do.

And no matter what you decide do not save 10 or 20 bucks on cheaper vinyl because it will come back to haunt you when you have to redo a job.

Good Luck.

Billct2

What kind of work do you want to do? That will help narrow the search.
Do you have physical limits on what you can do (ie digging holes, climbing ladders, moving large sheet stock around)? That will also help decide.
How about vehicles?

SignBurst PCs

I went through the Vocational Rehab program through the VA after cancer forced me out of the ARMY. That is a great program.

I am curious. What kind of training are they offering (or are you requesting) for signmaking?

activitydude

Welcome back to real world :beer
I thought I would let you know that you are going to get good help here and, I can understand what you are going through.

I was wounded in Vietnam, not disabled, thank God, but not a happy camper either and getting back to "normal" worked for me. I had good friends .

A couple of years ago it was discovered that my time in 'Nam also left it's mark by giving me a lung cancer that was straight from a chemical called Agent Orange.

I guess what I'm rambling about is, I'm 60 years old, survived war "twice" :) trying to run a little business of our own, and the best thing that happened to me was my wife.

Good luck in all your pursuits.

Terry

RSR571

First off thank you for serving our contry, I own a small shop with a few employees and I use to work for a local supplier so I was able to use lots of different machines. I'd say to start small, I personally like the Graphtec cutters and you can get their entry level (ce 5000series) 48" cutter for around 3500.00 maybe even cheeper? We us gerber for cutting and adobe photoshop and Illustrator for design and onyx for rip/printing. The printer that I think would be you best would be the mutoh value jet, but I'd sub out the printing for the first little bit until you can justify a much bigger expense. You should go slow and try to pre-sale your work. I wish you all the best. Good Luck!

signage

Corel is a good lower priced program, look at Advancedartist.com for som Tutorials.
As far as equipment find a local dealer this way you will get the support you may need! Summa, Graphtec, any of the big names should do you well. And I agree with the printing sub it out until you get enough to pay for the machine.

Also thank you for keeping our freedom!

Jackpine

Thank you for serving our country from a Vietnam vet. Welcome back to the real world.
Corel is a great design program. Graphtec has a CE5000 24" cutter with ops and it sells in the range of $1200 to $1500. It comes with a cutter plug in program for cutting vinyl for Corel and Illustrator. Demos from a dealer or a used one is a good way to get a cutter also.
Here is another good link. http://www.unleash.com/coreldrawx4unleashed/

thesignexpert

Welcome to the board and kudos for considering the sign industry as your new career.

In order to help, check out this link on How To Start a Sign Business. There is some useful, real-world, practical information on what you should consider as you look into our industry.

In addition, keep coming back to the board and read, read, read. There is a wealth of information here and well worth your time to absorb it.

Good Luck!

Tim Evans

The Sign Expert .com
"Practical Help for Sign Professionals"

Pro Sign and Graphics
"A Pro Sign made Easy"

Juice Network

reddog

Thank you so much for your replies. I appreciate all of the support.
Right now I am still in the planning phases of this venture and all of the advice that you have given me is really appreciated.
Here is what I am trying to get off the ground. The plan is to have a three phase plan set in motion. The first phase would be to open up shop offering a myriad of services but I do not plan on doing vehicle wraps or things of that nature. I do have a few physical problems that may inhibit some installations but I will make those known to the customer at the time of sale and if it is something I cannot provide by subbing out the install then I will refer them to someone that can.
The second phase will be to add custom printing to the shop. This will be added when I can purchase the equipment outright. I hate being in Debit so I will save and buy outright when I can afford it until then I will sub it out.
The third phase will be adding other types of sign like wood, lighted etc when I can get the training and learn how do these the right way.
Once again I appreciate all the advice keep it coming I will and can use all of the help I can get.
Thanks,
Kendall

onesmf

Can you use the GI bill to obtain some training, i.e. college courses in graphic design and design software. If so, don't waste that opportunity. Get some schooling. You will save a great deal of trial and error aggravation. If not, most of the top brand equipment will work well. Just don't buy anything sub-par on E-bay because it is cheap. You are a hero. Thank you.

Checkers

Hey Red and welcome aboard!
I guess I have to be the negative one here and offer some words of discouragement.
While serving in the military and being a public servant can, at times, be very demanding, I feel they don't compare to the continous physical demands of running a profitable sign company.
A typical work day in a smaller sign company company consists of being on your feet 4 to 6 hours; moving all types of heavy materials, including 75lb+ rolls of media, substrates and materials; climbing up and down ladders; digging holes and a lot more.
Now, if you want to sit behind a desk selling, designing and barking out orders to employees, that's a different story and just about anything can go there. It's just a question of how much do you want to spend?
From what you describe, even if you start out "small", it sounds like you'll probably need a (tight) budget of around $50k to get things headed in the right direction and costs will only go up from there.
One last note, don't worry about going into debt. Yes, it does suck sometimes, but you have to spend money to make money and you may be in a position to get some good money cheap.

Checkers

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thank You for your services in the military.

As for getting a sign business started, you could be in for an eye widening and mind bending experience. :covereyes: You sound totally genuine and willing to take the proper steps in order to achieve a prosperous business.

Not knowing your physical capabilities, I would search for some sign trade shows coming to your area unless you’re willing to travel to some. Go there with a large tablet, pen and tape recorder and take/record notes on everything. After you witness first hand at what’s available, then figure out what your pocketbook will afford you. Oh yeah…. and only believe 25% of what all the sales people tell you.

Once you’ve figured out what some of the software programs and cutters and suppliers you want to use will be…. post up some more questions that are better aimed at your goals. This will enable more people to give you opinions and real experienced feedback on specific questions, rather than just getting a bunch of replies on everyone’s favorite stuff.

Good Luck…………….​

SignBurst PCs

While serving in the military and being a public servant can, at times, be very demanding, I feel they don't compare to the continous physical demands of running a profitable sign company.

Seriously?

I really mean no offense to you personally Checkers, but I strongly disagree.

I remember continuous 12 hour (or longer) days, a workout routine each day, lifting 200# soldiers, carrying 50# backpack for miles on end, sleep deprivation, being on my feet constantly (until the point of blacking out in some cases), rucking around in the sand in unbearable heat (even worse than here in Phoenix), and more.

I am not sure of the extent of the poster's injuries, but if he could handle Iraq in the Army, I wouldn't discount his ability to run a sign shop.

Techman

Has obviously NEVER worked as a first responder or military. When compared the sign shop is EASY..

uncle ned

Well, it sounds as if you got a little insight as to what software and machines. I haven't been doing this very long and have something less than a budget to operate a startup with; however, I've been using LXi Master, from signwharehouse. I have taught myself since last November and have been able to do most everything that has come through the door, and I have no hair on my head. GO TO SCHOOL!!! Love you, from another vet.

4R Graphics

Red,
Thank you for your service from a former Marine.
Ok the sign business I have only been running my own business for a little while now and it is working out well. You have asked great questions and recieved great answers. The best thing I can say is any of the name brands will do just fine. Dont worry about buying a large cutter when I started out I had a 24" chinese cutter. It worked well and very few jobs have I ever had that I couldnt do with a 24" cutter but the chinese stuff will just beat you up in tracking and everything else so buy name brand. I still dont have my own printer I use Merritt graphics there here on the forum good people, Price and quality. You can do this but it will take time to develop. You will spend many days going around giving out business cards and what not. I still go out about once or twice a week and just handout business cards for a few hours. I usually pull at least one sale if I handout 50+ cards. Stay motivated and dont try to go big pace yourself and use the rehab and GI to get some classes on adobe illustrator and photoshop as well as design and graphic arts. I use all adobe products myself plus some of the more expensive stuff. All you really need is either adobe illustrator or corel and for doing the photo stuff thats going to print I suggest adobe photoshop it seems to becoming the industry standard for print and wrap designs etc..

Jillbeans

Welcome and another thank you.
Also remember that a well-designed sign will always stand out from the others and bring you more work.
If you don't already have it, get:
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Layout-Art-Eye-Appeal/dp/091138068X
and also
http://www.amazon.com/Logo-Design-Small-Business-Antonelli/dp/0918399173/ref=sip_rech_dp_6
and its second addition.
I have done more logo work than anything lately and I tell you what, I would rather sit at my desk designing than breaking my back making signs anymore.
Love....Jill