• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just looking for Advice

imaSIGNr

First...thank you for serving.....you will find many different answers to your question here as far as what equipment to pursue. It does depend on what you plan to do with it. There is a member here that has a whole shop set up for sale. Check that out. Also look in the archives here. There are tons of threads on this issue......

Bigdawg

Just Me
I'd like to add another thank you for your service.

I like our Roland Printer/Graphtec cutter combination - VERY happy with the contour cutting on the Graphtec once we updated the firmware. I would also get the largest size printer you can afford - it will pay off in the long run.

reddog

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I appreciate all I can get. As far as my ability to run a sign shop I don’t think the physical demands will be much of a problem. I still have most of my faculties. I have sustained some substantial hearing damage and as well as some other problems but nothing that should limit my ability to do any of the physical demands needed to run a shop but I appreciate the concern and advice.
I have thought a lot about all the comments that have been given and I cannot thank you enough for your advice and help. You all have been so supportive and I sincerely do appreciate that. I am continuing right now on my business plan. I have it almost completed.
This will help me focus on where I stand and what I want to accomplish. I think that we should have a sound idea on what we want to accomplish and hopefully within the next few months we will open our small humble shop.
I have taken some classes on computer graphics but it was a really long time ago so I will be doing some more of that for sure. I have bought a few book and among them were a few design books that have been mentioned. There is some really good information in them.
Once again I appreciate all of your advice. Feel free to keep it coming in. I read every post and I thank you all for your time and support.

geezer

Red,
Another thought: There is a good sign show in Long Beach, Ca. July 17-19. Time is short for airfare, but admission is $10.00 or look at the exhibiters and many have a code for free entry. Here is the link: http://www.nbmshows.com/

There are classes and workshops also. This is a good way to check out ALL the different equipment and with all the dealers there it is easier to make a good deal.

The show consists of 3 parts- signs, trophy and award, impritables (IE: Tee shirts etc)

We are going to look at Roland print/cutters.

pm me if you go.
Thanks for serving!!!!

geezer

Tom

Thinking back to when I got into this business in 1990, I would have been SCREWED if I just started my own business back then.

I worked in Graphic Design for printed media from 1980 - 1985, learned computer graphics and basic layout.

I took a break from that for a while, and then took a job with a sign company in sales at first, then started doing some light design work, then some fabricating, then some installing. It was a small shop, so it is very common for everyone to do a little bit of everything. I learned alot while working for someone else. Some of the best things that I learned were what NOT to do.

I finally went out on my own (With my Wife who was also in the sign business) in 1996. Even with our experience, it was tough to be profitable for the first few years.

I would encourage you to get some real exposure to the industry, while still researching, learning design, watching for good deals on equipment, etc.

Just my 2 cents... and BTW "Thank YOU".