• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just lost my best friend

Dave Drane

2 and a half hours ago my pet cockatiel died in my hands. I got him in August '93 after our best friend died, so he is the last link with her death. I knew he was ready to go as he had been acting strange for the past 2 weeks. He sang "pop goes the wesel" and did his telephone imitations for me at 5pm and then at 6.05 after I covered him up for the night he fell off his perch. I quickly picked him up and he did his last gasps and died in my hands. I have buried him in the garden he overlooked every day and when I go back to work next week I will make him a nice cross out of acryllis so it won't be eaten by termites and engrave a plate for him. He has given so many people such laughter over the last 161/2 years he will be sorely missed. I must admit I did cry as he was the last link with our friend who died in 1983 (09/08/93)just after he hatched. Digger will be missed. I took some pics of him on his night towel dying... The worst day of my life.

S

scarface

Dave, I'm so sorry to hear.

I have 2 pet's that i consider part of my family that i care about so much. I understand your pain and i hope you can make it through. As i get older i worry more and more about death and theres honestly no way to look at it other than to be scared.

astro8

Cockatiels and cockatoos are such funny buggers with their antics, you get really attached to them. I had a one-eyed galah that was an endless source of amusement.

Sorry to hear this Dave.

Mainframe

So sorry to hear about your friend, it's hard to lose a family pet, they become such a big part of the family

Rodi

Dave,
I know how you feel, my cat died in 1991 and I still think about her to this day. Pets do become family, especially to those of us who do not have children, they become them!

Jillbeans

Sorry to hear about Digger, Dave.
Birds can be real characters.
I know you will miss him.
Love....Jill

iSign

sorry to hear that Dave. I hope that sensing it was time will make it easier. The number 16-1/2 has an effect on me, because my wife & I know our dog is close to running out of time. She is 16.

Marlene

Dave, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Pets bring so much into our lives and each is special and loved dearly. my cockatiel is very old. we got him from a friend who thought hewas too loud way back in the late 80's. he is over 20 years old and when his time comes, a big part of our family will go with him.

OneUpTenn

Awww I hate it for you Dave. I know you loved him. He and your friend will always be in your heart though. God Bless.

vid

He has given so many people such laughter...

Pets sneak into your heart like that. In that moment, nothing in else in the world matters but that smile and laugh. ...now I've got "Pop Goes The Weasel" stuck in my head.

I'm sorry for your loss, and hope the good memories overwelm the sadness.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to hear of your sad news. Time will mend a broken heart, just like the song says, but it's different when it's so close to you. Seems like forever. I know and can feel just what you're going through.

Take it from a guy that's lost many pets and now getting to an age where my human friends are starting to leave us. It doesn't get an easier. Bury yourself in some work and think about the days he made you laugh the hardest and longest and share them with family and friends. Then have a drink, do a jig and tell him he'll be in your heart forever.

IIDave

Sorry about your loss. Our family dog passed away over the summer, it was tough seeing the old man cry when we were burying her. He got a new dog from the shelter a few months later, and I catch him calling him the old dogs name.