• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Just so I have this straight.........................

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I agree on some points as well. It is just not the same. On people with machine problems, I'm okay with that IF, IF, they bother to spend a bit of time searching for the answer which has likely already been posted. Font requests..... yeah a decent sponsor for quite some time that Fred had signed up has software called Find My Font. Invaluable in this business and very inexpensive. There is also the what the font web page too. I do not really mind the font requests here and there either. I've had some that have stumped everything I've tried and then I come here to ask. Sometimes its fun to answer one. Members like Vander, myself and a few other who are very knowledgeable on technology I doubt mind (I dont mind sometimes) helping someone out with an answer to what they are trying to figure out. There is some goodwill around here still.

I do miss the more artistic side here though. Was always nice to see pics from the letterhead meets that members would attend and members like Jill, Bruce (DrCas), etc that would often post excellent designs and give tips and advise. There are still some that do on occasion but its nowhere near what it was when I first started coming on here. I've also used quite a number of merchant members on here myself.

Joe Diaz

I'm addressing this to everyone here. We made the bed on this forum, so we'll have to lie in it. Or don't if you don't want to. I personally found some better and more comfortable beds to sleep in, so to speak. But I still check in form time to time. I didn't leave for good. I can't speak for everyone that abandoned the forum, or at least just cut way back on posting, but for me it had nothing to do with the change of leadership, people attempting to solicit work without a merchant membership or an increase in printer or font related posts. It's just became too toxic and negative and it was starting to rub off, so I made the decision to quietly step back and focus on other things in my life. I'm glad I did too. I spent way too much time on this forum and towards the end I didn't get much back in return. It just wasn't enjoyable anymore.

I personally enjoyed chatting about topics that I love with people I respect in the industry: Murals, design and a few other things. For a while it was fun. I did feel like I got a return on the time I invested here. It was nice to share ideas and see what projects other people were working on. But I don't know what happened. You couldn't even talk about that stuff without being attacked. I can handle the criticism. It goes with the territory. Your work is criticized or critiqued everyday in this industry. It's when people go after you personally or attack your motives, and then those attacks follow you outside of the forum by people with serious issues. That's when it stopped being enjoyable. And it wasn't just me that was being attacked in this way. My friends and other people I looked forward to seeing post here must have also realized it wasn't worth it anymore and so they stopped posting. And then hardly anyone posted the projects they were working on anymore. Can you blame them? Without them here, and without those posts, I personaly found myself wondering, what's the point?

To be fair. It's not just this forum. I don't know what has happened over time at places like this, but if I were to offer any suggestion for anyone here it would be this: Be kind to each other if you wan't cooperation and quality conversations to return here. Be fair. Be helpful. Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you are part of the problem. I did. Like I said, I felt like the negativity was rubbing off on me and I didn't want to be that person. It started off with me just defending myself and I felt like I was being pulled down to the level of those constantly cause drama here. I know I'm not perfect, but I can at least recognize the role I was playing and that's definitely not the person I wanted to be. So I took a break from it and it's been good. So perhaps that's another suggestion, if you don't like the way things are going, just take a break. No need for a big production. just slowly and quietly step back and take a break from it, if things get better, get involved again. I peek my head in from time to time to check. Things haven't gotten better yet, so I'll wait some more.

Last edited:

Gene@mpls

I would like to add a couple thoughts, If I may? I am appalled that Fred has been attacked, I don't always agree with him but have a *lot* of respect for him. I am almost 72 and was trained as a technician in the mid '60s and I still love the technical aspect of making signs, and I think have gained a small bit of talent as far as designing over the last 23 years and have been very successful in this business. We all have our own interests and signmaking encompasses so many disciplines and areas that no one will be interested in them all. I think that the site has slipped since Fred ruled, but I guess I expected that, and I am very surprised that the new owner or moderators have not weighed in. The incivility on the www now days is pretty much a reflection of the general public at this time, I think. As you were men [and ladies].

jtiii

Beautiful day, great to be alive!
That is racist. I hope you didn’t mean it that way. Some people just need help.....
Racist? No. It is, however, prejudiced against neanderthals and this guy
Alfred2.jpg

Marco

At last and finito, a topic I never thought make it. In short, a stab is a stab, word or blade. I love design work, constructive criticism is always appreciated, destruction is not. Many guys here didn't have any senses; Out for blood. Posted nothing positive, nothing constructive and destroyed everything that they had no regards to. I hope to see things change, like my dearest friend Diaz, I stepped away, but hope this site becomes a better site. At the end of the day, I wish the best to all, good that they continue being good and bad that they find a way to get good.

skyhigh

There is always a stench left in the room when Fred post something, either trying to sell his wares or his dime store philosophy on people and things.
You don't have to kiss his *** or be afraid of him anymore on Signs101.
He ran it like a Dickens' Fagin, and we were his boys.
Ding dong he's gone.

you were actually afraid of Fred? LMAO
I'm guessing you don't handle mean looking pugs too well either?!!

As for the smell, there is always a stench when someone steps on a pile of dog poop.
(don't forget to wipe your boot off Fred)

ps.. If Fred is selling his "wares", I would bet he is an actual merchant member.
(Ironic thread).

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
you were actually afraid of Fred? LMAO
I'm guessing you don't handle mean looking pugs too well either?!!

As for the smell, there is always a stench when someone steps on a pile of dog poop.
(don't forget to wipe your boot off Fred)

ps.. If Fred is selling his "wares", I would bet he is an actual merchant member.
(Ironic thread).

better a jester than a pile of poop.......just sayin.

Thanks for your kind words.

You may recall Johnny Best, formerly known as John Butto among other aliases, was well known to many here for rude, insulting drawings and comments. He was instrumental in running off a number of well known, talented members and not someone I would consider an asset to our community.

So , as with this thread's OP, one may want to consider the source when reading any of his posts.

Last edited:

Rebel Graphics

As for the "stupid questions" that are posted here... There are no stupid questions. Newbies come here because the site is called "Signs 101" not "Signs Pro".
If the site is not intended for the rookie then the name needs to be changed.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Thanks for your kind words.

You may recall Johnny Best, formerly known as John Butto among other aliases, was well known to many here for rude, insulting drawings and comments. He was instrumental in running off a number of well known, talented members and not someone I would consider an asset to our community.

So , as with this thread's OP, one may want to consider the source when reading any of his posts.

I love the drawings, always get a good laugh. But yea I loved seeing designs and peoples comments and suggestions but no one would post that now because of the dark troll that lives on here waiting to pounce at any unsuspecting visitor that crosses that bridge.

105zhq0.jpg