• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just upgraded from 12 to X3 - Corel

briderx

Has anyone noticed that X3 is really slow compared to 12? I have problems opening almost every job. I have a pretty sick system too..

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

6GB Ram (3 utilized under XP)

Quadro FX 570

Software, in my opinion is tuned as best as I can.. 12 opened files in less than 10 seconds. X3 hangs on every job for minutes at times..

Replicator

I think the bottom line is, as software is improved and new versions released, unfortunately what also comes with these new versions

is massive amounts of bloating in the programs . . . They add many new features and while some improvements are added,

there is almost always a pile of negatives to the upgrades, including just down right bloating of the software, which usually slows it down.

ChiknNutz

No issues with Corel X3 on any of my machines, which vary quite a bit. One is an ancient AMD 1900+ with 512MB of RAM (maybe 1GB, I forget). Though it is slower on this one, it's really not bad at all with most files of reasonable complexity. I have to say that I like the improvements introduced in X3 a lot (huge improvement in contours and node counts).

Checkers

Did you check at Corel.com to see if there were any patches, fixes, etc.?
Also, check your memory settings. I'm still at V12 so, I don't know how to access them in X3.

Checkers

signage

As Checkers has said make sure you get all the updates! I am not experiencing these issues!

neato

I have to say, 12 was the most stable for me. 13 crashed too much, so I stuck with 12. I recently went up to 14, it crashes quite a bit as well. Pretty annoying if you don't save every 5 minutes or so.

signage

No crashing problems here! using X3 but have found that in X4 you need to disable live text to speed up!

SignBurst PCs

X3 and X4 run fast and smooth on our systems.

It is all in the tuning!

But if you are only seeing 3GB of RAM, then you are using 32 Bit XP.

If you are using 32 Bit XP, why do you have 6GB installed?

Why not bump up to 64 Bit (XP or Vista) and use all 6GB of RAM?

RAM is not the only thing that speeds up Corel though.

"Sick" is a relative term I guess.

jiarby

lens transparencies and dropshadows at high res are killers in X3.

Set your default rendering resolution (in options-general) as low as you can get away with. 125 is fine of a bit map dropshadow on a sign. A 300dpi 48x96 dropshadow will kill you!

briderx

X3 and X4 run fast and smooth on our systems.

It is all in the tuning!

But if you are only seeing 3GB of RAM, then you are using 32 Bit XP.

If you are using 32 Bit XP, why do you have 6GB installed?

Why not bump up to 64 Bit (XP or Vista) and use all 6GB of RAM?

RAM is not the only thing that speeds up Corel though.

"Sick" is a relative term I guess.

Yeah, I understand the tuning aspect.. My system itself is tuned to about as far as it can go. As for the ram issue.. Yeah, I understand it's the 32/64bit problem. I put 6 into my system, because the company cannot afford to bump me up to a higher OS than what I am currently on but wanted to future-proof my system as best I could with the budget I was given.

I have been a PC tech for a number of years.. Building my own systems, others systems and repairing.. blah blah blah.. pretty familiar with computers. The problem is: this company is clueless when it comes to computers. I have witnessed them run over systems with the forklift because they didn't want any of their "private data being leaked" even after I told them that by "destroying the hard drive" didn't mean to destroy the system.. They don't get it. They are running 1.5mb DSL for a company that's 20+ internet users.. Won't change services because "it's too much of a hassle". When I told them I could build my new system (about 8 months old) for about 1/2 the price Dell would sell them one, I got the response, "we've gone that route and had nothing but problems when we built our own systems.." So, I had to build it off Dells site with a limited budget, crying the whole time. SO, when I say "sick system" I mean: It can do whatever I need it to do with Flexi, Neon Wizard, Enroute and Corel 12 for the next few years. As soon as we can afford it, I will push Windows 7 which will unlock the other 3GB ram. Which is why I put that in my system when purchasing it. I had 2 valid product codes for XP 64 bit a few years back, but lost them in a move and can't find the case that I had them on.. Must have thrown it away.. Dunno.

Anyways, I don't believe that my system performance has anything to do with why this program will not open correctly and don't want to butt heads over who's a bigger geek.There is something else going on. Conflict or other.

Is there a LOG I can look at that is supplied when starting up Corel? I am using latest everything for Corel.. All is up to date.

I hope none of that sounded rude, as it wasn't intended as a rude post.

Jackpine

X3 runs fast on our systems. I think it is the best version I have used. I would like (want) to upgrade to X4 but X3 does just fine.
I spend more time getting coffee than waiting for Corel.
I have no crashes on XP or Vista. On my Vista computer is seems a bit slow but I really don't like Vista and it is an out of the box computer from Office Max.

briderx

Seems to be the standard Jackpine.. The other 3 systems in our shop (considerably slower) run it amazingly fast.. I really don't get it. Just uninstalled both 12, x3 and x4 (trial) and did a registry cleanup and reinstalled to see if MAYBE that changed anything.. Nope. Went into the preferences for X3 and tried upping the memory to utilize all 3gb and still nothing.. 12 and x4 work perfectly.

signage

If you had X4 on the machine do a search on hear about X4 and you will find a post on how to get rid of what is causing you problem or you could go to the Corel forum and search for the fix!

SignBurst PCs

:U Rock:
Anyways, I don't believe that my system performance has anything to do with why this program will not open correctly and don't want to butt heads over who's a bigger geek.There is something else going on. Conflict or other.

Is there a LOG I can look at that is supplied when starting up Corel? I am using latest everything for Corel.. All is up to date.

I hope none of that sounded rude, as it wasn't intended as a rude post.

I don't take it as rude at all.

Tuning isn't all done at the hardware level. You can tweak Corel to perform at a much higher level than it comes "out of the box".

There are some good suggestions here as well.

I was just asking about the RAM because it begged to be asked. I meant no offense. It just stood out.

briderx

Only if its the 64 bit version..

Yes, exactly. But won't touch Vista 64 on this system with a 30 mile stick.. Eh. I am not a fanboy that says "vista sucks" I am a computer user that says "vista sucks". After seeing them actually spend time on an OS (7) I can now officially state that VISTA SUCKS. They know it, we know it.. Everyone knows it. No support for xp 64 bit, as it really just never took off like 32 bit did.