• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Just want to understand EPS files

Aunt LuLu

Aunt LuLu
A customer provided art file can be pretty slippery due to odd ways and bad choices of how the artwork may have been created, exported or even round-tripped thru multiple applications before the file was sent to you in its present condition.

Poor quality artwork is not too bad a hassle if all you have to do is print it. Most of the files I receive are intended for permanent signs and require further editing. So they need to be of a higher standard (preferably 100% vector-based).

PDF-based files are a common source for trouble. The only "good" PDF files I see are ones generated by Adobe Illustrator and saved with the option to preserve Illustrator editing capability. Most applications generate PDFs to be web friendly, which means doing all sorts of crazy things to the artwork to reduce file size and ensure backward compatibility with older web browsers and PDF readers. Opening one of these kinds of PDF files in Adobe Illustrator often reveals a horrible mess. You'll find lots of clipping masks, clipping groups, duplicate copies of objects that have no fill or stroke, broken open or sliced paths, rasterized objects and more. A tool like Astute Graphics' Vector First Aid plug-in for Adobe Illustrator can fix/repair many issues in junky PDFs and save a great deal of editing time. But often there will be some manual steps needed to finish repairing the artwork, such as using the eye-dropper tool to re-apply gradients to objects from gradient filled boxes that were previously clipped to that parent object.

EPS files can also be a big problem depending on what features and effects were used in the host graphics application before the EPS file was exported. Depending on the version of EPS chosen in the dialog box, along with other options, various features in the artwork may "break" or be simulated, such as a gradient fill being turned into hundreds of sliced objects.

I move a lot of artwork between Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW frequently and don't really see that problem with gradient filled objects. Usually the gradient fill is maintained as a vector object. However, the size/position of the gradient and its steps may shift a little or a lot. I usually get the best results by using the latest AI file format both applications can read.

Gradient fill behavior has changed a lot since 1997. Illustrator has supported non-symmetrical gradients and steps of transparency on gradients for a long time. CorelDRAW matched those features in CDR X8 and CDR 2018. Now Illustrator has the free-form gradient feature that opens a whole new can of worms. Thank goodness Onyx and RasterLink Pro support it in EPS and PDFs exported from Illustrator.

I opened the original file in RasterLink Plus, to my surprise everything is intact. Thank you for letting me know..... I added the cutline around the graphic and added the town & state to the graphic, as requested by the customer. It did not save correctly. #1 picture is correct #2 picture is not correct.

Laura - aka - Aunt LuLu

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    96.9 KB · Views: 139

Andy D

My work around is to try every vector type program I have, like Ink Scape, Affinity Designer, etc. to see is they
will open a file correctly, if so save it in different vector file format.
A 99% bullet proof work-around is to open it photoshop, save it as a Tiff, import it into CorelDraw and use vector without any fill to cut it.

Andy D

I do not want to go back to this customer and tell him, the file provided does not work with my software.

Is that because you think it might be unprofessional? If so, there's absolutely nothing wrong with requiring the customer to resubmit
a file, you should see the hoops I have to jump though when I sub jobs out.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Is that because you think it might be unprofessional? If so, there's absolutely nothing wrong with requiring the customer to resubmit
a file, you should see the hoops I have to jump though when I sub jobs out.
Often well outside of the so-called "wheel house" of the customer. That's where the professionals are supposed to come in.

Andy D

Often well outside of the so-called "wheel house" of the customer. That's where the professionals are supposed to come in.
True, unless it's a designer... if the OP was sent an AI, most times that would have come from a designer.
If the customer sends ready to print files they get better pricing, if they can't they don't.

Aunt LuLu

Aunt LuLu
Update on issue.....For kicks & giggles one day, I turned on my old "gateway" desktop computer which has Corel Draw 2019 on it. The file opened perfectly. My jaw dropped! This explained why some people opened the file and some could not. This left me with 2 questions....is the problem the OMEN laptop that is only 2 years old? or it the problem Corel Draw 2020 (the file did not open correctly in Corel Draw 2019 on the laptop either). I called HP first, as I have an easier time dealing with HP support over Corel Draw Support. The OMEN laptop had "windows 10 mirrored imaged" I don't know the difference between mirrored image and reformat and it does not matter, had everything on an external hard drive anyways, as I learned a very hard lesson years ago. Took a few days to get all programs up and running again, as soon as I got Corel Draw 2020 going, I opened the same file. It opened perfectly.

I don't really know what the problem was with the file, but I really don't like this laptop computer, as the issues with this has been great! I truly thank each and everyone who responded and offered help. I read each and every response, very helpful.

Thank you Laura - aka - Aunt LuLu

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Update on issue.....For kicks & giggles one day, I turned on my old "gateway" desktop computer which has Corel Draw 2019 on it. The file opened perfectly. My jaw dropped! This explained why some people opened the file and some could not. This left me with 2 questions....is the problem the OMEN laptop that is only 2 years old? or it the problem Corel Draw 2020 (the file did not open correctly in Corel Draw 2019 on the laptop either). I called HP first, as I have an easier time dealing with HP support over Corel Draw Support. The OMEN laptop had "windows 10 mirrored imaged" I don't know the difference between mirrored image and reformat and it does not matter, had everything on an external hard drive anyways, as I learned a very hard lesson years ago. Took a few days to get all programs up and running again, as soon as I got Corel Draw 2020 going, I opened the same file. It opened perfectly.

I don't really know what the problem was with the file, but I really don't like this laptop computer, as the issues with this has been great! I truly thank each and everyone who responded and offered help. I read each and every response, very helpful.

Thank you Laura - aka - Aunt LuLu

Hope that it at least doesn't happen again! I find .PDFs from clients can occasionally open looking weird/bent out of shape/exploded. If it's too weird, or I can't get my hands on a font file, I'll just open it in Photoshop and re-save. Doesn't help for cut lines though :(