Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Just want to understand EPS files

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Aunt LuLu, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Aunt LuLu

Aunt LuLu New Member

Jan 2, 2020
    PA 16935

I opened the original file in RasterLink Plus, to my surprise everything is intact. Thank you for letting me know..... I added the cutline around the graphic and added the town & state to the graphic, as requested by the customer. It did not save correctly. #1 picture is correct #2 picture is not correct.

Laura - aka - Aunt LuLu

Attached Files:

2. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    My work around is to try every vector type program I have, like Ink Scape, Affinity Designer, etc. to see is they
    will open a file correctly, if so save it in different vector file format.
    A 99% bullet proof work-around is to open it photoshop, save it as a Tiff, import it into CorelDraw and use vector without any fill to cut it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Is that because you think it might be unprofessional? If so, there's absolutely nothing wrong with requiring the customer to resubmit
    a file, you should see the hoops I have to jump though when I sub jobs out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Often well outside of the so-called "wheel house" of the customer. That's where the professionals are supposed to come in.

5. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    True, unless it's a designer... if the OP was sent an AI, most times that would have come from a designer.
    If the customer sends ready to print files they get better pricing, if they can't they don't.

6. Aunt LuLu

Aunt LuLu New Member

Jan 2, 2020
    PA 16935
    Update on issue.....For kicks & giggles one day, I turned on my old "gateway" desktop computer which has Corel Draw 2019 on it. The file opened perfectly. My jaw dropped! This explained why some people opened the file and some could not. This left me with 2 questions....is the problem the OMEN laptop that is only 2 years old? or it the problem Corel Draw 2020 (the file did not open correctly in Corel Draw 2019 on the laptop either). I called HP first, as I have an easier time dealing with HP support over Corel Draw Support. The OMEN laptop had "windows 10 mirrored imaged" I don't know the difference between mirrored image and reformat and it does not matter, had everything on an external hard drive anyways, as I learned a very hard lesson years ago. Took a few days to get all programs up and running again, as soon as I got Corel Draw 2020 going, I opened the same file. It opened perfectly.

I don't really know what the problem was with the file, but I really don't like this laptop computer, as the issues with this has been great! I truly thank each and everyone who responded and offered help. I read each and every response, very helpful.

Thank you Laura - aka - Aunt LuLu

7. KatePhillips

KatePhillips Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Halifax NS
    Hope that it at least doesn't happen again! I find .PDFs from clients can occasionally open looking weird/bent out of shape/exploded. If it's too weird, or I can't get my hands on a font file, I'll just open it in Photoshop and re-save. Doesn't help for cut lines though :(