• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just when I though this order was going good

jkdbjj

Below is a copy and paste omitting some personal name information: (Suppose to be read from bottom up in sequence)

Wow, .75/sqft is cheaper than I can even produce it for. Something is not correct there. We sell LOTS of banners too.
All I can say is if you want to support local businesses I can help you a little bit on the price I gave, but trying to compete on that level is almost verging on unfair market pricing.

I wouldn’t come into your establishment, and say hey there is a company making pizzas for .50 down the road, can you do that? It is just bad for the economy in general.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Mike

Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:16 PM
To: Mike
Subject: Re: QT-576 Quote for Window Graphics

Mike,

The banner is across the MLK street entrance bolted onto the building.

We were planning on unscrewing the existing bolts, removing the existing banner and replacing.

With regard to banner price, we got a quote that was much less expensive online from a vendor that corporate uses. They were charging $60 but had a 2 week + turn around time. Are you able to price the banner somewhere close?

S

Sent from my iPhone

Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:38 PM
To: S
Cc:

Hi, the banner 20’x4’ is $320.00.
Is this up in the air somewhere on the ground level? Trying to get an idea of installation on the banner

Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:38 PM
To: Mike
Cc:

Michael,

We will go ahead with option #2 as you had initially suggested.

I am working with Mellow corporate for the graphic design. I have asked them to send it to me in PDF and JPG forms. I hope that this works for you.

Also, we want to replace the 20' x 4' vinyl horizontal banner as well. Can you give me a quote on this?

Thanks,
S

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
$60 for a 20'x4'?
You should ask them if their online guy is printing on regular 2ply or heavy duty 4ply toilet paper.

wayne k
guam usa

jkdbjj

$60 for a 20'x4'?
You should ask them if their online guy is printing on regular 2ply or heavy duty 4ply toilet paper.

wayne k
guam usa
:Big Laugh:banghead:

I mean even if this vendor is exclusive to their corporate company, they would have to be printing GOBS of material for this. Even then, .75 can't cover grommets webbing etc... Seems like smoke up the bunghole....

The funny thing is, in that email in the OP, he approved a bunch of window perf, at the normal price I do it at. I am pretty much waiting on an email that says, they can get that cheaper too. If not, I will be surprised.

Locals Find!

Hum, someone is either

A. Lying about the price
B. The online vendor really wants to keep that other business corporate gives them
C. Someone really screwed up and left a digit off that number that they think is $60.00. I am thinking it belonged in the 100s spot,

What do I know. Someone will come along and police the grammar on this anyway and disregard it.

jkdbjj

Hum, someone is either

A. Lying about the price
B. The online vendor really wants to keep that other business corporate gives them
C. Someone really screwed up and left a digit off that number that they think is $60.00. I am thinking it belonged in the 100s spot,

What do I know. Someone will come along and police the grammar on this anyway and disregard it.
Most likely A.
However, assuming he still lets me do the window perf part, maybe he isn't lying.

Anyway, I am not perfect, Signs101 knows that, perhaps this is Karma for design farming that time, I dunno.
I try be more conscious of how my decisions are effecting those around me and not beat people up on price as best I can these days, so long as they are being fair.

This new restaurant is directly across the street from the Brand New baseball stadium downtown Charlotte, and is going to make a KILLING, so it bugs me when people act like this.

Billct2

Wow, .75/sqft is cheaper than I can even produce it for. Something is not correct there. We sell LOTS of banners too.
All I can say is if you want to support local businesses I can help you a little bit on the price I gave, but trying to compete on that level is almost verging on unfair market pricing.

I wouldn’t come into your establishment, and say hey there is a company making pizzas for .50 down the road, can you do that? It is just bad for the economy in general.

I don't think this bit was necessary, better to keep it on a profeesional level.

"The price you have received indicates either an inferior product or a misunderstanding. We are a local company who values our reputation and client relationships which is why we offer the appropriate product at a fair price and stand behind our work."

jkdbjj

I don't think this bit was necessary, better to keep it on a profeesional level.

"The price you have received indicates either an inferior product or a misunderstanding. We are a local company who values our reputation and client relationships which is why we offer the appropriate product at a fair price and stand behind our work."
I did actually regret that remark. I wish I was more polished at times. So, I agree with you.
Hopefully it isn't taken so badly, but I understand if it was.

Techman

his other vendor will be printing on paper.. in fact I have some paper here that is so cheap that I could print cheap all day long like that and make some money. ITs on ebay for 150FT for $20 bux..

jkdbjj

Bill below is the response I received. He is a class act, and didn't deserve the comment you pointed out. Anyway, thanks for pointing out where I can improve.

Mike,
We are a local franchisee who own our restaurants here. Supporting local business is VERY important to us, hence why i chose you for our window signage. But part of running an economically sound business is making sure that we stay within budget and pay market prices. I bid out the window signage and your bid was in line with the others.

Initially, we were not going to replace the 20ft banner, but the PR people at the franchise HQ stated that they had a vendor who produced good work at a good price. So she priced it and sent the quote to me. It was inexpensive enough that we are thinking about doing it now.

I told HQ that i would prefer to do something locally -- that is why i asked you for a price.

I am sorry that you are offended by the quote. That was not my intent. I have no understanding of the prices as i have not ordered one of these before. I am dependent on the vendors' bids and HQ experience.

The total price if we paid overnight delivery and tax was going to be $125 for the banner. It was $60 if we waited 2+ weeks.

If you are interested in working with us on the banner price, let me know what your best price is.

In any event, we want to proceed with the window signs. I just need to get the graphics sent to me from HQ. i have been told that it might take a week or so. I'll send them to you once i get them if you are still interested in working with us as we are interested in working with you.

Wraps ink

I had a company here ask me ro price out 4 billboards at nascar speedpark for advertising on a few of rracks he wanted them like the existing ones already there. They were 6' x 12' laminated solvent prints about 10' in the air. They wanted me to remove the one there and replace them I gave a quote of what I thought was reasonable and he came back and said he git a quote from a company 30 miles away removal and install $250 . I don't know how these companies make it I told him I couldn't match that price but would come down a bit since we have done his work for about a year now. He said I love the quality of your work but I'm gonna go with the cheaper price. I haven't heard from him since . Not to mention the last job we did was last min and had to be done in a theme park and we had to install from midnight to 6am guess I'm betfer off without him

Pat Whatley

Banner is being printed in China and bulk shipped to a distribution hub in the US. I've seen prices around 40¢ psf, fully hemmed and grommeted. The two week turnaround isn't because of production, it's because of shipping. Don't be surprised when you see it and discover it's equal quality to what you could provide.

SignManiac

No sense trying to figure it out. Everyone loses jobs to price. Just move on to the next one and do your best to find the right customers. Believe me, I aint afraid to charge and I lose more jobs than you can ever imagine. The trick is trying not to lose too much time on those quotes. Do you best to qualify the jobs that don't mind paying for good work. The only time I get upset is when I think I've got the job locked in, invest some time and then it dies on the vine.

Keep in mind, business today is constantly changing due to many factors. I've seen the entire industry model change over the past forty years and I'm still having to keep an open mind and stay flexible each and every day. Now that many signs, especially banners, have become nothing more than a commodity, expect to see bottom line pricing as the only factor in most clients minds.

Try to picture the future twenty years from now. The sign industry as you know it now may be completely different then. New technologies might make todays production methods obsolete. You will have no choice but to invest and get on board or fall by wayside just like most sign painters did thirty years ago when vinyl cutters were first introduced. Roll with the punches, that's life.

HulkSmash

They're not lying about the price. There are many many large companies who sell banners that low. I know a company that sells as low as 45 cents a square. No Joke.. They're also massive and can afford to do that.

as for your email....you sound a bit desperate in your last one.. not sure i would have said that much.

gabagoo

I am curious as to why your price on window graphics is in line with the franchise supplier's. So they give away banners but window lettering is another story? I cant figure that part out. You have to let us know how that banner looks when it arrives and is installed

bernie

if you want to stay afloat in business - set your prices and stick to them. If you want to give a few bucks away here and there, that is your choice, not some franchise company throwing a carrot out. Pass on the work that doesn't make you any money and continue with the stuff and customers that do.

My 2 cents.

visual800

If I was you I would ask them to show you the actual written quote on what the cheap company quoted to make sure the customer aint lying cause they do. When people play this game with me I send their a$$ packing. And if they call back or email I dont respond. You got one shot with me so dont toy with me.

if the quotes are close then we may talk