Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just when I though this order was going good

Discussion in 'Business Management' started by jkdbjj, Sep 26, 2013.

1. jkdbjj

jkdbjj Active Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Virginia
    Below is a copy and paste omitting some personal name information: (Suppose to be read from bottom up in sequence)

Tags:
  2. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    If I was you, I would quit and move to the woods.

3. jkdbjj

jkdbjj Active Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Virginia
    Oh I am counting the days...

4. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    $60 for a 20'x4'?
    You should ask them if their online guy is printing on regular 2ply or heavy duty 4ply toilet paper.

wayne k
    guam usa

5. jkdbjj

jkdbjj Active Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Virginia
    :Big Laugh:banghead:

I mean even if this vendor is exclusive to their corporate company, they would have to be printing GOBS of material for this. Even then, .75 can't cover grommets webbing etc... Seems like smoke up the bunghole....

The funny thing is, in that email in the OP, he approved a bunch of window perf, at the normal price I do it at. I am pretty much waiting on an email that says, they can get that cheaper too. If not, I will be surprised.

6. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
    Hum, someone is either

A. Lying about the price
    B. The online vendor really wants to keep that other business corporate gives them
    C. Someone really screwed up and left a digit off that number that they think is $60.00. I am thinking it belonged in the 100s spot,

What do I know. Someone will come along and police the grammar on this anyway and disregard it.

7. jkdbjj

jkdbjj Active Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Virginia
    Most likely A.
    However, assuming he still lets me do the window perf part, maybe he isn't lying.

Anyway, I am not perfect, Signs101 knows that, perhaps this is Karma for design farming that time, I dunno.
    I try be more conscious of how my decisions are effecting those around me and not beat people up on price as best I can these days, so long as they are being fair.

This new restaurant is directly across the street from the Brand New baseball stadium downtown Charlotte, and is going to make a KILLING, so it bugs me when people act like this.

8. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I don't think this bit was necessary, better to keep it on a profeesional level.

"The price you have received indicates either an inferior product or a misunderstanding. We are a local company who values our reputation and client relationships which is why we offer the appropriate product at a fair price and stand behind our work."

9. jkdbjj

jkdbjj Active Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Virginia
    I did actually regret that remark. I wish I was more polished at times. So, I agree with you.
    Hopefully it isn't taken so badly, but I understand if it was.

10. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    his other vendor will be printing on paper.. in fact I have some paper here that is so cheap that I could print cheap all day long like that and make some money. ITs on ebay for 150FT for $20 bux..

11. jkdbjj

jkdbjj Active Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Virginia
    Bill below is the response I received. He is a class act, and didn't deserve the comment you pointed out. Anyway, thanks for pointing out where I can improve.

12. Wraps ink

Wraps ink Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Myrtle Beach SC
    I had a company here ask me ro price out 4 billboards at nascar speedpark for advertising on a few of rracks he wanted them like the existing ones already there. They were 6' x 12' laminated solvent prints about 10' in the air. They wanted me to remove the one there and replace them I gave a quote of what I thought was reasonable and he came back and said he git a quote from a company 30 miles away removal and install $250 . I don't know how these companies make it I told him I couldn't match that price but would come down a bit since we have done his work for about a year now. He said I love the quality of your work but I'm gonna go with the cheaper price. I haven't heard from him since . Not to mention the last job we did was last min and had to be done in a theme park and we had to install from midnight to 6am guess I'm betfer off without him

13. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Banner is being printed in China and bulk shipped to a distribution hub in the US. I've seen prices around 40¢ psf, fully hemmed and grommeted. The two week turnaround isn't because of production, it's because of shipping. Don't be surprised when you see it and discover it's equal quality to what you could provide.

14. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    No sense trying to figure it out. Everyone loses jobs to price. Just move on to the next one and do your best to find the right customers. Believe me, I aint afraid to charge and I lose more jobs than you can ever imagine. The trick is trying not to lose too much time on those quotes. Do you best to qualify the jobs that don't mind paying for good work. The only time I get upset is when I think I've got the job locked in, invest some time and then it dies on the vine.

Keep in mind, business today is constantly changing due to many factors. I've seen the entire industry model change over the past forty years and I'm still having to keep an open mind and stay flexible each and every day. Now that many signs, especially banners, have become nothing more than a commodity, expect to see bottom line pricing as the only factor in most clients minds.

Try to picture the future twenty years from now. The sign industry as you know it now may be completely different then. New technologies might make todays production methods obsolete. You will have no choice but to invest and get on board or fall by wayside just like most sign painters did thirty years ago when vinyl cutters were first introduced. Roll with the punches, that's life.

15. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    They're not lying about the price. There are many many large companies who sell banners that low. I know a company that sells as low as 45 cents a square. No Joke.. They're also massive and can afford to do that.

as for your email....you sound a bit desperate in your last one.. not sure i would have said that much.

16. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    45 cents a sq foot is even lower than the Mosh's price what?

17. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I am curious as to why your price on window graphics is in line with the franchise supplier's. So they give away banners but window lettering is another story? I cant figure that part out. You have to let us know how that banner looks when it arrives and is installed

18. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

Yeah, I thought you quit, sold the business and moved a while ago ??

What happened to that venture ??

19. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Maybe the window work has to be installed, can't do that from China.

20. bernie

bernie Member

May 28, 2008
    No. of Seattle
    if you want to stay afloat in business - set your prices and stick to them. If you want to give a few bucks away here and there, that is your choice, not some franchise company throwing a carrot out. Pass on the work that doesn't make you any money and continue with the stuff and customers that do.

My 2 cents.

21. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    If I was you I would ask them to show you the actual written quote on what the cheap company quoted to make sure the customer aint lying cause they do. When people play this game with me I send their a$$ packing. And if they call back or email I dont respond. You got one shot with me so dont toy with me.

if the quotes are close then we may talk