• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3-160SP Inconsistant ink problems...

OK, I'm completely lost on what to do here, and now its affecting my clientbase. I'm getting what looks almost like a starvation but its not at all uniform. It happens in every color, vector or image, randomly throughout all prints. I'm attaching an image of a rich black print and a media comp line to show.

I encourage all "obvious" questions, as dumb as you may think it sounds, or your technical questions.

Please help.

Attachments

• IMG-20110616-00004.jpg
    IMG-20110616-00004.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG-20110616-00003.jpg
    IMG-20110616-00003.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 84

WB

Black Photo looks like it's just your media comp. not set right.

the 2 passes should look like a solid line. gotta get ride of that white line between them

housemusikid

It is your temperature. Too much or too little. I have this problem all the time. Find your happy medium and voila!

What material causes this trouble the most? 3M? If so, the temperature is EXACTLY what it is.

in terms of the media comp, that isn't a while line, its larger spacing between the rows of dots. I dont know why it does this. My media comp on the one closer to edge of paper is right, in terms of lining up the rows of dots between passes with uniform spacing.

As for the black print, it cant be comp. If it was, those "streaks" would be from one edge of the y axis to the other. Its not. Its erratic locations in various spots in the passes.

ChicagoGraphics

I had that same problem with my printer, this is what a tech told me to do.
First off turn your machine off from the front then in the back, push the on/off switch in front of printer a couple of times to get all the juice out. Then remove the cover where your dampers are, there is a sensor towards the top that rides along the sensor strip, take that sensor out and clean it along with your sensor strip, put the sensor back in stright and carefully. That should fix your problem.

Rooster

I had that same problem with my printer, this is what a tech told me to do.
First off turn your machine off from the front then in the back, push the on/off switch in front of printer a couple of times to get all the juice out. Then remove the cover where your dampers are, there is a sensor towards the top that rides along the sensor strip, take that sensor out and clean it along with your sensor strip, put the sensor back in stright and carefully. That should fix your problem.

X2

Clean the encoder strip too.

housemusikid

oh and I get this issue on basically all media except banner. My samples are on paper. Paper it is the worst.

I am printing on poster paper right now and I am getting the same effect. I slowed the speed down, turned off the heater and print 16 pass. Worked out beautifully!

cleaned strip with distilled water, and tried cleaning the encoder lens as best as I could....it's hard getting anything down in that thin notch. I used a folded coffee filter.

Helped a bit, but it still exists.

housemusikid

cleaned strip with distilled water, and tried cleaning the encoder lens as best as I could....it's hard getting anything down in that thin notch. I used a folded coffee filter.

Helped a bit, but it still exists.

Did you try changing your temperature? Seriously, I know I keep saying it but it does work.

radiohead223

have you looked at changing any dampers.

i've had that a few times when i got some bad black ink and it clogged the feed line to the damper and then each time i changed the dampers out new sediment from the line would break off reducing the flow in the damper again. i had to replace all dampers and flush the feed lines back into the cartridges.

1/ but first thing i would look at is the ribbon strips at both ends of the boards for good connection. always fully power down when doing this... i've learn from experience there.. no short cuts

2/ replace dampers

3/ flush the lines if dampers clog again soon afterwards

also to see if it is just the black print a solid test of each colour and see what whats

mustafade

What resolution are you printing? Your print quality seems similar to me when I print 540x720 on any kind of solid colors. But when I bump it up to 540x1080 6 pass it prints beautiful.
It is a quick try to see how the printer is going to react on a little better resolution.

radiohead223

What resolution are you printing? Your print quality seems similar to me when I print 540x720 on any kind of solid colors. But when I bump it up to 540x1080 6 pass it prints beautiful.
It is a quick try to see how the printer is going to react on a little better resolution.

the resolution shouldn't come into it if he is printing straight colour.

printing at different res is not really amount putting down more or less ink it the amount of passes that the same amount of ink goes down so if changing that helps it's really just covering the flow problem in the inks lines to start with.

MikePro

my money is on ink starvation. bad dampers specifically. looks like your wet printheads are starting the print fine, but suddenly hits a hump where the ink doesn't feed quite rite.

i could be wrong about the dampers, but i've had the same problem with large fields of color getting banded out until I started using the "head refresh rate" option in my rip...doubling the amount of times the printer refreshes itself at the capping station. see if you have that ability and give it a try.

I replaced all 8 dampers on 1/20/10. Maybe time for new ones?

The head refresh is already at a max of 3 in my rip, so I can't move that any higher.

@mustafade the resolutions you speak of sounds like the standards for a JV33, I have a JV3 which I always print 720x720vardot, typically 8pass uni on paper.

@radiohead223 I've inspected the cables, all good there. I also use large flow dampers, but it was what shipped with my machine so I matched, but you may be on to something. I've also printed a solid block of C-M-Y-K and CMK all do the same thing. Yellow I cant tell.

I've played with temps, and doesn't seem to result in anything different except for paper buckling at higher temps which causes its own problems.

Morph1

Print all
try completely different vinyl,
from a different supplier....
I had this problem in the past it was showing on cheap callendared vinyl,
I loaded cast vinyl and print looked 80% better,
what I suspect it could be roller friction burns in the media itself created while spooling in the media factory.
I also agree that tweaking the temps can help as well.

not printing on vinyl, printing on paper (even though it occurs with both)

So, in theory, lets say I get 8 new dampers and want to wash the lines...do I need 8 cleaning cartridges? I know you can do one color at a time (2 lines) but how many washes do I get out of a 220 wash cartridge?