• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 Cleaning Cartridges

WrapperX

I was told by my Mimaki tech that I should look into getting some cleaning cartridges for my JV3 160 SP Ultra and I wanna know if anyone knows a good source of where to get them, about how much we should expect to pay, and what your general thoughts on these cartridges are. Thanks for all your help 101!!

WrapperX

We are currently useing lyson by Nazdar. Does it matter which inks we're currently using. I would assume the cleaning solution would do the same for OEM and third party. It's supposed to clean out the lines and actual head (to some degree). Our Mimaki Tech advise we do a cleaning cartridge due to our recent (6 months ago) switch from Mimaki brand to Lyson Inks. he said since they are different consistancies the heads may be affected by the switch. So he says...

WrapperX

meaning - use Lyson Cleaning cartridges unless stated that the cartridge is compatible with OEM? Or use OEM cleaning cartridge unless lyson cleaning cartridge is compatible with OEM?
That was confunsing

:covereyes:

CS-SignSupply

If you are using Lyson ink, use Lyson cleaning fluid.

If you are using OEM (Mimaki) ink, use OEM cleaning fluid - or cleaning fluid stated as OEM compatible.

Do not use Solaris cleaning fluid if you are using Nazdar inks. Not recommended

WrapperX

Ok...where is a good place to get them. Nazdar directly? I haven't seen them offered in sign supplier catalogues like Fellers.

WrapperX

Ok - so we FINALLY got the cartridges from Lyson/Nazdar. Now how do I run them through the lines and through the head. I've tried emailing our Mimaki Tech and he hasn't responded. Does anyone out there know the procudure or have a quick link to a step by step process. Is it in the manual, cause I haven't seen anything for that in there. Maybe I'm just blind...

signswi

It's under head wash. It'll have you load, unload, reload, etc. the wash carts a bunch of times. Annoying, takes forever, but that's what it is.

When we switched inks we flushed the system with the old ink's wash and then flushed again with the new wash before loading the new inks. Likely overkill but that's the recommended way to switch inks out from most manufacturers. Some say you can run straight into old ink but we didn't trust it.

WrapperX

Thanks for the tip - I'll check it out.

FYI - We switched from Mimaki Inks to Lyson/Nazdar straight through, no wash out. And we didn't see any problems. However I personally think the Mimaki Inks look better. I haven't been all that impressed with the Lysons color quality. But I don't make the orders so I do as I'm told.

Again thanks for the info.

artbot

Alert

never get xylene near your printer. what kind of retarded tech gave you that advice. xylene is the same as xylol. a solvent completely capable of dismantling ABS, and other plastics. the head adapters are what looks like a form of ABS (too brittle for hdpe).

take a head adapter and sink it in xylene/xylol and i'll bet my house it turns into chewing gum.

the main "household" ingredients in solvent cleaning solution are:

butyl cellosolve (available at sherwin williams)

and

butyl carbitol (available at sherwin williams)

these two chemicals are practically the same (and ethylene and a diethylene the latter being slower evaporating. both have extremely low evaporation. they are glycol ethers.)

neither of these can cut paint after drying. just dilute (the can even mix with water). so i'd assume that you'll need to add some acetone to add some cutting action (small amount).

that's my two cents.