• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Jv3 Head Movement

diarmuidrobson

Quick Question for the jv3 owners...

Does the complete head lift up and down freely, like in a rocking motion

I am able to lift my printhead assembly and rock it up and down about 10mm or so. Printer tech suggests to me theres a bearing worn or something but i am thinking they all have this play in them, would i be correct?.

artbot

that's the way it's supposed to be. the carriage is sitting on the rails held down by gravity. but, it can be rocked upward a bit from that position.

ligonr

the carriage move like that but if you have to much play in them they will rock back and forth in the rails and cause the head to bind and wear your Y motor out

Tekkie1

Tekkie of Many Things
Within reason it should..basically look under the head carraige assy and see if it looks parallel to the platen if it does ok. If it looks like it is facing down then you need to replace 2 bearings at the back of the carriage which is not hard but lots of things need to be unscrewed and cables removed to get at it. I have done about 5 of these due to the now age and amount of use that the JV3 has had.
I have also come across one head where the rear mounting screw of the head was crossthreaded not allowing for the head to be held tight and this then meant that the head moved up when capped.
Tekkie1

diarmuidrobson

Having an intermittent problem where the heads will seal for a few days and then won't seal, is this excessive wear on the bearings likely to cause this sort of problem?

Does it give you tolerance play values in any of the manuals for this wear?

Is there any sort of alignment marks for the belts to be put back in place like a timing belt or is it a straight on and off.

Tekkie1

Tekkie of Many Things
Having an intermittent problem where the heads will seal for a few days and then won't seal, is this excessive wear on the bearings likely to cause this sort of problem?
YES

Does it give you tolerance play values in any of the manuals for this wear?
NO

Is there any sort of alignment marks for the belts to be put back in place like a timing belt or is it a straight on and off.
There is a plate and 2 screws on the end of each end of the belt so you cant go wrong its behind the head carriage.:smile: