• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV400lx keeps loosing full ink cartridge overnight

360wrapsOZ

Hi everyone I’m Will and new to the forum. Over the last few days I’ve become a broken man. My mimaki jv400-160lx printer has dropped 6 cartridges of ink into the waste tank. I can’t figure out why, has anyone else had this happen to them? It looks like it just keeps leaking while it’s on the capping station. It only drops the cyan and magenta colours.

The other thing I’ve noticed is that while printing those two colours will print good until it does its mid print cleans then for the next ten or so lines it prints shocking then comes good again. Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers Will

360wrapsOZ

Thanks Pitzu, I have had a look at them but cant see anything wrong with them and wouldn't have a clue on how to test them. I've contacted Mimaki and they are troubleshooting. A few things came to light yesterday and I found out that an air purge was performed a couple of days before this started to happen. It threw a quick 61a error ink over full. I have ask Mimaki if the capping station is meant to constantly drain, as in the pumps just allow fluid to go straight through them even though they are not on. I figure that it could have a siphon effect happening? The other thing is that shouldn't the ink side of the machine have a solenoid that shuts off the ink when not in use?

When a head fails will it still print really nice? cause Mimaki has pointed at the head but at $4500 that's something I would consider a last resort for troubleshooting.

Thanks for the comment, going to find some info on checking dampers.

Pitzu

The siphon effect crossed my mind, but I didn't see it possible, since, as you also stated, there should be a solenoid valve somewhere (usually between the cartridge and the subtank).
Probably, it empties all the ink from the subtank, and that could be much. I don't know what amount of ink you lose overnight.
Something went wrong during the air purge or you still have some air in the ink line. The 61a error is related to the damper (but also can be a malfunction somewhere along the ink supply), as you can see in the operation manual, page 146 (at the bottom, where it says IMPORTANT).

JV400LX Series Product MIMAKI

I don't think the print head is the problem but something along the ink system, air along the ink line causing false readings from sensors and not closing some valves, capping station, ink pumps,.etc. making the siphon effect possible.
Mimaki is highly automated, with lots of sensors and automated tasks. I wouldn't be surprised if it tells you what you served for dinner.

Last edited:

Pricey

HI Mate
I have a JV400suv which I think is basically the same machine just different inks. Maybe I am wrong but they do look the same.
I do have a service manual.
These machines have Sub tanks. Error 61A on my service manual says .

1. Check that ink did not flow into the air pressure path. If ink flowed into, filter replacement and path cleaning are required.

2. Perform [MAINTENANCE SUB TANK].
    Check that it has been discharged to the middle status.

3. With [[HASHTAG]#TEST[/HASHTAG] SENSOR], check the detection status of the target sensor.

4. Replace the Liquid level detection sensor.

5. Replace the Subtank.

6. Check that the cartridge valve is not open. (Because ink flows into the sub-tank due to head difference.)

Pitzu

HI Mate
I have a JV400suv which I think is basically the same machine just different inks. Maybe I am wrong but they do look the same.
I do have a service manual.
These machines have Sub tanks. Error 61A on my service manual says .

1. Check that ink did not flow into the air pressure path. If ink flowed into, filter replacement and path cleaning are required.

2. Perform [MAINTENANCE SUB TANK].
    Check that it has been discharged to the middle status.

3. With [[HASHTAG]#TEST[/HASHTAG] SENSOR], check the detection status of the target sensor.

4. Replace the Liquid level detection sensor.

5. Replace the Subtank.

6. Check that the cartridge valve is not open. (Because ink flows into the sub-tank due to head difference.)

In the jv400lx operation manual it's a little bit different. It says "Error 618 to 61b are errors related to the damper". But what you said is quite possible.

Last edited:

360wrapsOZ

3BE11F74-EBB4-4B14-BE46-F40586BE47AD.jpeg 5E169DC4-0EC5-4C87-989C-F28B89C0E9BE.jpeg 5D7B1D4F-2B11-4DCC-B4E4-42CB1F0D89D8.jpeg 72FB9ABE-9182-4245-B220-47CA3D26AF76.jpeg Thanks so much guys. I was leaning towards an air leak and I think I found it today. I removed the cover that’s over the air purge covers and found the printer in a state of dispair from lack of maintenance second thing I noticed was air in the lines. I removed one of the caps and found a lot a goo inside the base of that cap which I think was stopping a sufficient seal. I cleaned it best I could. I have got more ink arriving tomorrow so will report back then.

360wrapsOZ

Ink went in this afternoon so we will see if it's fixed in morning. Did an air purge and clean (wow that using a ton of ink) and it's printing again. Only now I'm getting these weird lines. I'm using rasterlink 6 uni 24 pass. Any ideas? Also I can only choose 900x900 no option for 1200x1200 which I know the printer in capable of.

Attachments

• IMG_1655.jpg
    IMG_1655.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 403
  • IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 417
  • IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 421
  • IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 388

Pitzu

The photos are blurred...I can't see much...but it could be banding
What temperatures do you have on heaters?

Last edited:

360wrapsOZ

so my initial problem is still not fixed and I lost 50% of the cartridges overnight (not printing). Its doing my head in. heres a pic of the dampers position. the magenta and cyan which I'm having issues with, have a different position to the yellow and black. Temps on heater are Pre 48C, print 50C, post 70C
IMG_1661[1].JPG
IMG_1660[1].JPG

Pitzu

The dampers seem to be ok.
Can you put some pictures with the capping station, ink pumps?
Check if the air you've found last time is back in the lines.
Also, check what Pricey said in the comment above (ink getting into the air pressure circuit or into the air purge valve, air purge valve not closed).

360wrapsOZ

found whats happening no idea how to fix it. any ideas? it does this every 30 minute when it turns itself on to self clean.

thanks Pitzu, the air that was there before hasn't come back. I'll look info about the air pressure circuit, I'm no tech so this is a massive learning curve for me.

Pitzu

You leave the printer on during the night? It might be set to do auto cleaning at 30 minutes interval. Auto cleaning at 30 minutes interval would explain why you lose so much ink overnight.

Last edited:

Pitzu

You mentioned about a 61a error - it could be related to this 30 minutes cycle.

In the manual it says:
If “Error 61a” has occurred during printing or waiting, “damper” of the MAINTENANCE MENU is
performed automatically

When Error 618 To 61b Occur - Mimaki JV400-130LX Operation Manual [Page 146]

A sensor could be malfunctioning, sub tank full level sensor malfunction, damper fill sensor malfunction.

Probably a maintenance cycle is not finished due to an error and starts over again.

Could be many things.

You might need a technician onsite to look into it.

360wrapsOZ

ok well its finally fixed. Pitzu you were right about the 61a error being the issue I purchased the service manual and found that performing a damper maintenance function clears the error. dampers are now full and staying full. Thank you so much for helping me I really appreciate it.