Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KeenCut Excalibur 5000: any opinion?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by Patentagosse, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Patentagosse

Patentagosse Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Joliette, Quebec (Canada)
    I've been offered this for a very fair price but never used this kind of board cutter before. I have a Fletcher Titan 100" for my prints and coroplast but when it comes to cut DiBond (Alu composite panel), it doesn't work. I have to use my table saw for perfect cuts but it's a real mess at the end and it's in the same space I install wrap and laminate my prints... Yeah, not the best match...

Is it sturdy? Does it needs frequent blade / parts replacement?
    I plan to use it for Alupanels more than any other type of panel...

What's your thoughts 'bout KeenCut products?

Thanks

Tags:
  2. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

We had one for several years but hardly used it. The "pizza wheel" cutter does cut through 3mm ACM boards fairly easily but it requires a good bit of force. Honestly for cutting Dibond and the like I think a saw is just easier at the end of the day. We ended up buying a Festool TrackSaw and it works great and is almost dustless with a shop vac hooked up.

That, or honestly, a utility knife and ruler cut ACM just fine too, you just have to make a lot of passes, but it works great and is clean...

3. Patentagosse

Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks guys.
    Another shop in my neighborhood want to get rid of it and offered it to me for $500 but mentioned it needs some parts to be replaced (pizza wheels and teflon guide).
    'Looked on my supplier's website and it sells like $3700 over here (!!!)
    I won't let pass this deal...

4. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    We absolutely love our Keen cutter, but it's a 126" flat cutter for nothing much more than 6mm PVC. Just about anything other than metals.

However, our Fletcher 3000 cuts up to almost 1/2" anything except 1/4" alumalite and things.

5. Patentagosse

Aug 17, 2011
    I will use mine for AluPanel exclusively (almost) so it better works fine otherwise it will collect dust...

6. anotherdog

anotherdog Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Swear by our steeltrack.