• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Keep fixing old printer or buy new?

I'm torn. I have a 2015 Mimaki ts300p-1800 that i purchased used knowing it has issues and I got it really cheap (4k)+shipping and i've been using it but now i'm at a point that i'm not sure if i want to keep investing in it or replace it.
I think i'm going to need to replace two heads. they have just too many nozzles that are clogged and i'm getting banding way too often.
I've done all the cleanings i can think of that are possible.
Replaced the capping stations, replaced both selective pumps..
Do i spend another 7k on the heads (maybe 4k if i attempt to install them myself) or do i buy a new machine for 30k and just have a new machine that works....
so

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We have about a 10 year old mimaki solvent printer and it’s still great. As far as quality goes these things are built to last.

There isn’t “that” much that can go wrong with these printers, the heads being likely the highest cost item. Once you get those changed out it might as well be a brand new printer.

It all depends on the funds you have available I guess and if you’re willing to take the risk. If you want peace of mind buy new. If you can afford the 7k or whatever to get that running, it’s not the worst option.

We have about a 10 year old mimaki solvent printer and it’s still great. As far as quality goes these things are built to last.

There isn’t “that” much that can go wrong with these printers, the heads being likely the highest cost item. Once you get those changed out it might as well be a brand new printer.

It all depends on the funds you have available I guess and if you’re willing to take the risk. If you want peace of mind buy new. If you can afford the 7k or whatever to get that running, it’s not the worst option.

Thanks, yeah i can swing the 7k just wasnt sure if it was worth it. But you do make a great point. these machines are from what i've been reading built really well and now that i've opened it up quite a few times i'm pretty familiar with its internals so i could make small repairs on my own...

thanks!

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
I had a 2017(I think) JV300 that we were running on the SB54 sublimation ink. Contantly had ink problems (chips not recognized and we'd loose our yellow channel all the time). Eventually replaced both heads and still ended up with the same issues just a short time later. We just replaced our 6-old JV33 sublimation printer that was like a tank but getting to the point that it was going to need a bunch of parts. Purchased a smaller Epson and I think we're going to get one more to replace the JV300. The Mimaki's are a lot more solid and easier to work on but the Epson is just easy easy easy to use and priced really well. It does feel a bit like a toy my my staff loves it. I'm guessing the Epson is a 2-3 year life cycle printer and we'll need to replace it after that but it seems to be a joy to use during that time.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
IMO, it depends how much you rely on the printer.
if its used now and then and you can afford to fix it, then fix it.

if it's used in production, i'd get a new one. less downtime the better.