Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knofe Tool Not Cutting Straight

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by Imminent Death, May 4, 2007.

1. Imminent Death

Imminent Death Member

Apr 30, 2007
    So I've been using Illustrator for a while now, and I have not once been able to use the Knife Tool in a straight line. Well, that's not entirely true... if I sit here and go super slow along a guideline, I probably get a straight line 1 out of every 3 times.

I have read help articles online and skimmed through Illustrator books about this. All it says is that I should be able to (do what would seem to be the obvious answer and) hold the Shift key and the Knife Tool will lock into either the x or y axis. This just simply isn't the case. What am I missing?

Tags:
  2. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    You should specify your cutter/plotter and rip software program !

3. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    Not sure why either.
    ARe you holding down the key before or after you start moving?
    I know it works here.

4. Imminent Death

Imminent Death Member

Apr 30, 2007
    I've tried holding Shift before and after clicking and I get no straight line. It blows my mind.

Replicator, this is reference to the Knife Tool (or Knofe as I so eloquently typed it in the subject) within Illustrator. Our plotter works fine, I'm just unable to draw straight lines to divide graphics in Illustrator.

I also really like your avatar :thumb:.

5. Bill Modzel

Bill Modzel Active Member

Hold down the option (alt on pc) key and start dragging any direction you want.
    If you want to constraing it to 90, 45 etc, hold the shift key at the same time.

6. MobileImpact

MobileImpact Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    whats a "knofe"?

7. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    My BAD !

8. Imminent Death

Imminent Death Member

Apr 30, 2007