• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Knofe Tool Not Cutting Straight

Imminent Death

So I've been using Illustrator for a while now, and I have not once been able to use the Knife Tool in a straight line. Well, that's not entirely true... if I sit here and go super slow along a guideline, I probably get a straight line 1 out of every 3 times.

I have read help articles online and skimmed through Illustrator books about this. All it says is that I should be able to (do what would seem to be the obvious answer and) hold the Shift key and the Knife Tool will lock into either the x or y axis. This just simply isn't the case. What am I missing?

Techman

Not sure why either.
ARe you holding down the key before or after you start moving?
I know it works here.

Imminent Death

I've tried holding Shift before and after clicking and I get no straight line. It blows my mind.

Replicator, this is reference to the Knife Tool (or Knofe as I so eloquently typed it in the subject) within Illustrator. Our plotter works fine, I'm just unable to draw straight lines to divide graphics in Illustrator.

I also really like your avatar :thumb:.

Bill Modzel

Hold down the option (alt on pc) key and start dragging any direction you want.
If you want to constraing it to 90, 45 etc, hold the shift key at the same time.