• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Knowing where you stand... I guess?

WCSign

This is just a random rant brought on by someone I saw that made a few posts on here and got flamed, and essentially haven't been back.

I always try to know where I stand, skill level, design level, competition level, pricing level, on these forums, etc. For instance, if I had a company contact me about wrapping 10 cars, I would get them in touch with ProWraps whom I know of because of this forum and he is an hour away. Or I see that Jill is in CA and does hand painted signs etc. I would contact her if it came up. I pretty frequently sub out design stuff.. or website stuff that needs serious coding.

In other words, I know where I stand on everything and what I can easily accomplish by myself and that I do it well enough that I should be "SELLING" it as a service.

I knew about the sign business and large format printers from a buddy I grew up with. I bought my printer to service my other businesses (web and events) then I started doing banners and random decals, I bought a laminator and mastered that, now ive done a few wraps. Ive known how to do websites in one way or another since 2001, but Ive never felt qualified to sell it as a service until recently. I just rented a storefront and im trying to order channel letters now, but NOT ONE OF 4 CHANNEL LETTER SUPPLIERS HAS REPLIED TO MY EMAILS! but by going through the process for myself, ill learn and be more confident that I can SELL it.

The same goes for shirts, pop-up tents, feather flags, table skirts etc. I try and grow into things, learning for myself before I ever try to sell it to someone else. I dont do the absolute best work.. but damn I have and continue to see waaayyy worse being proudly sold.

I know my design level is probably a 5 compared to the average members Ive seen here, some of you are incredible, which I am very jealous of and some of you suck and I hope that you are sticking to running the business and subbing the graphics. My website knowledge seems to be a 7-8.. which was surprising to me and made me decide to polish my wordpress skills a little and sell it as a service. Thank you for that.

Now, about the point of this rant. Just because you can buy a 20k + printer, that doesnt mean you should rent a shop and go in business right this second... learn to design, and please please please for gods sake do not offer web design service to anyone if your site looks like it is optimized for netscape.

Im seriously so tired of seeing these garbage websites.. look people, less is more, simple is better, cleaner is better, SEO is not rocket science. Business names do not matter as much as you think they do.. unless you purposely spell them incorrectly. Pictures should be used little to none on wraps, even for large backgrounds.. ditch the trees, stick to vectors.

busy fonts are garbage, using LLC is dumb, too much text = people dont read anything..

These are all things that I make sure and relate to customers. Now I know I havent been here for awhile and im not a big shot on this forum, but I have learned alot and respect what alot of you say and the work that you do. With that being said.. im sick and tired of seeing garbage aZZ, non-designing "salespeople" coming around here and showing off their trash.

My website is "ok" to me, acceptable at best. what it lacks in coolness, it makes up very well in SEO. I average 3-5 unsolicited emails per week from people searching google. We translate 80% into immediate sales.

With that being said, I try to know where I stand, I would never bring myself to ask for a critique on here, or tell anyone in a bragging manner that Ive been doing websites for years. I have and will offer my help in any way possible, because even if you guys dont realize it, you all have helped me a ton.

I dont really know where this rant just went lol, but before anyone asks, here is my site.. www.wcsab.com I did it about a year and a half ago when I decided that I could actually design and sell website services. Yes there is a purpose to the vagueness and no number etc. Ive been operating out of my house for over 2 years, I just signed a lease on a storefront a few weeks ago. So the site will be updated all around and designed to drive people to call and stop by.

I guess im just saying that I wish everyone could take a step back and realize where you excel and where you dont. then hone yourselves from that point by learning, or subbing or simply not trying to sell your windows 95 services 20 years too late.

Did I mention that im jealous of people who can hand paint and im also jealous of people who do awesome monument signs (Ill buy a sandblaster and experiment one day)

I know this wont change anything, but at least its off my chest :toasting: (theres no beer cheers smiley on here?)

I know some of you have to feel the same, do you just ignore it?

Thomas

cmykpro

I'm a fan of free speech, but i'm also a fan of free speech that doesn't absolutely trash the pursuit of creative understanding of others (regardless of how "un-skilled" a noobie is). I suppose I can relate to some of your rant but was it really necessary?....

WCSign

Enjoyable and honest read:thumb:
Thanks.. it rambled lol

I'm a fan of free speech, but i'm also a fan of free speech that doesn't absolutely trash the pursuit of creative understanding of others (regardless of how "un-skilled" a noobie is). I suppose I can relate to some of your rant but was it really necessary?....

Nah it wasn't necessary, I feel like I acknowledged that. and it wasn't particularly directed at newbies as much as it seemed.. the said person who opened a sign shop, upon questioning, stated that they are graphic designer and web designer. Another member then pointed out their site (how bad it was)

Then the new person made some snarky remarks etc. All im saying is.. dont walk struttingly into the lions den unless you're sure that you are a lion.

apologies, seeming to be trashing newbies was not the intent. I have seen web designers selling ****ty services who have been doing it since 1995

SignosaurusRex

Probably the most enjoyable rant/observation I have read here in a long while...especially during beer:thirty

Gino

Premium Subscriber
WOW, someone else understands the process. Great topic and well written. :thumb: :thumb:

I think the point is to be honest with one's self and remember, we are on a forum where we supposedly all are brothers/sisters. So, regardless how the message comes across, listen before copping an attitude. Ya just might learn something.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Interesting and valid points.

I am a "lurker", I guess. I joined the site something like 8 years ago, but have only recently taken to offering what I can as far as commentary. Often I don't bother because the other comments are so... I don't know... snarky's as good a word as any.
Everyone has their favorite material, equipment, method, etc. Is that a good reason to denigrate someone else's material, equipment, method, etc.? If you have first-hand experience, it's valuable- but just saying "Brand X plotters or whatever suck"- why not relay how you came to that conclusion?

As far as the braggadocio, I agree. I can't track down who first said it, but I think "a smart man knows what he knows, but a wise man knows not only what he knows, but also what he does not know" is a pretty good quote (not that I'm claiming to be either or those things). But after more than two decades in this business, there are some things I'm pretty damned good at- and some that I'm not. Even with the things I'm comfortable calling myself an "expert" at, though, I realize there's always something new to learn. And that's my main reason for coming to these boards every day.

Good luck to you in your expansion.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
ugh....

i couldn't get thru it all....

got about half way thru and though, why am i reading this.....

WCSign

I thought Jill was in PA :help

Try Letterfab
I could be confused, it was just a general point about referring to others with expertise. And letterfab.. LOL got them on the phone asked "how can I set up an account" I was then told "umm we're a sign company" - "yes ma'am. im a sign company too, looking for wholesale channel letters, I emailed you last week but got no reply, so I figured that I would call while I was driving" She says, "oh ok, yes well you have to email us" I say "Ma'am, like I said, I emailed last week" "Well who did you email?" she asks. "I sent an email through your website" It clicks that this conversation is going nowhere fast. So she replies, "Oh no you shouldnt do that, our website is being redone, that wont work" Im literally SMH... "You should email sales@ whatever etc"

I left it alone and said "ok thanks"

A- ive tried to email
B- You have me on the phone, close the sale
C- I said that I am Driving, I dont want to write anything down or type an email

ugh....

i couldn't get thru it all....

got about half way thru and though, why am i reading this.....

Nice Reply - A for effort, I actually had the same feeling while writing it.

Reply that I instantly thought of - Ehhh, nevermind. Ill keep my negativity to myself, just like you should have