• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L25500 hard drive upgrade

MikePro

i couldn't imagine why not, as long as they have identical connections then you should be able to make a bootable clone.

edited to add: seems like there's proprietary protections built-in? Always thought you could clone any hard disk no matter what data is on it, but there were different steps involved if you were simply cloning storage data vs. system application/boot data.

ernesto ortiz

We did a bit by bit clone and it failed to recognize the drive as there is special firmware for the drive itself for the HP to recognize the drive.
Hp told me they sell the ssd drive but i dont know where to get it

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
The built in HDD is plenty quick for a printer. It can read/write faster than gigabit ethernet ever will. How do you propose an SSD will assist?
Lifespan would be worse due to constant writes also... it would wear quicker than a spinning disk.

ernesto ortiz

The built in HDD is plenty quick for a printer. It can read/write faster than gigabit ethernet ever will. How do you propose an SSD will assist?
Lifespan would be worse due to constant writes also... it would wear quicker than a spinning disk.
Good information to know

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
There's a backup of the important stuff of the hard drive, on the ink supply circuit board EPROM.
Sawp a hard drive and the Wprom will give you an error message as it won;t recognise the new one till you've updated it's record or told it which is the right one.
It's a safety measure...

ernesto ortiz

There's a backup of the important stuff of the hard drive, on the ink supply circuit board EPROM.
Sawp a hard drive and the Wprom will give you an error message as it won;t recognise the new one till you've updated it's record or told it which is the right one.
It's a safety measure...
Good to know

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
(sorry about the typos!)| Yes, if you change the hard drive, it'll squirm and spit and refuse to play ball, until you get into diagnostics etc, and work out how to tell it to reflash the eprom data to the hard drive, or vice versa, depending on whether you changed the hard drive or the ISS circuit board.

It's not hard to do once you get there- as long as you don't make a mistake and wipe everything...

The hard drive looks like an oldish normal one, but I believe the software is a linux system, so any attempts to clone it will have to take that into consideration, too.

Christian @ 2CT Media

(sorry about the typos!)| Yes, if you change the hard drive, it'll squirm and spit and refuse to play ball, until you get into diagnostics etc, and work out how to tell it to reflash the eprom data to the hard drive, or vice versa, depending on whether you changed the hard drive or the ISS circuit board.

It's not hard to do once you get there- as long as you don't make a mistake and wipe everything...

The hard drive looks like an oldish normal one, but I believe the software is a linux system, so any attempts to clone it will have to take that into consideration, too.
Have you physically done it with a non HP hard drive?

I have many different ways and it doesn't work with non HP hard drives as the hard drives have a special firmware on them.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
No, I've only swapped HDs from one L25500 to another, and ISS circuit boards, and got into a blinding mess when I learned they're trying to talk to each other and I broke the chain... but then I got them happy again!
The service manual helped a lot... You can download it.

blue50pony

No, I've only swapped HDs from one L25500 to another, and ISS circuit boards, and got into a blinding mess when I learned they're trying to talk to each other and I broke the chain... but then I got them happy again!
The service manual helped a lot... You can download it.
Good Evening Ian, Hope you and all are doing well. I come across this post and wondering if you or any others may be able to assist. I happened to aquire a L25500 from where i work, as they upgraded to a newer model. In doing so they did the rebate thing where the HDD, MECH/PCI PC Board board, Formater/OMAS board and the Host board for the HDD were sent in to receive the rebate. Upon research and my understanding were that the HDD had to be that of a L25500 due to firmware and majority of what all has said. So i purchased those said items online from different sellers (Mid 2019). I finally have it powered up and now i get the 71:19 error and now finding out that those 3 items should be replaced one at a time so that "ID" can be re-written. And unfortunately this printer service/support ended late 2019. I spoke with Tech support he said if it was still in "service" he may be able to have Indigo Division assist but since it's "outdated" ( by 6 Mths) he was unable to and i think the guy "may/could've" helped but refrained. I believe there is a way to reset or rewrite for the machine to work. I apologize for the long post. i just wanted to mention all of the details i could. If you or anyone else can help me or send me in the correct direction i would greatly be appreciate it!!! Many thanks to you and everyone else!! These are the items removed and the items i purchased, along with the HDD but couldn't find pic of it

Attachments

• photo_2020-05-29_21-57-38.jpg
    photo_2020-05-29_21-57-38.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 92
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 91
  • HDD Host Board.jpg
    HDD Host Board.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 92
  • OMAS.jpg
    OMAS.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Phew... what a mess! I made the mistake some time ago buying a latex printer in which the seller has removed all 'expendable items' is all ink cartridges, heads, waste bucket, head cleaning tray, etc. and despite me buying new ones, it simply would not handle the fact they'd been taken out all at once and not in sequence with the machine asking and telling you it was ready for each step, in a sequence it wanted, and pressurising or depressurising ink lines when it wanted them done...

Despite me having the manual, it would not play ball. I ended up buying another one the same, and using it, and keeping the first one as a sacrificial one for parts. That was useful.

BUT I've been where you are with the 25500, and there is a process of getting into a service mode, and updating one thing at a time. You really HAVE to have your wits about you, as the manual explained it in a pretty crummy way, from memory.

In a nutshell, your problem might stem from the fact that they have a wonderful safety policy built into them.
i.e. the hard drive is set up, I believe in a linux operating system - but that's unimportant.
The ink supply system (ISS) actually keeps an EPROM on board, with a backup of the hard drive's important information on it - and in particular, it knows the serial number of the hard drive, and possibly the motherboard also.
If you simply swap out a hard drive, then when you restart it, the ISS will know the new HD is not the old one, and will sit there stuck in indecision, awaiting your getting into service mode to tell it to either 1. clone itself onto the new HD, or 2. clone the new HD into the ISS. so that 3. they are now the same. (one of its first checks when booting up is to compare its HD record of itself with its ISS EPROM record of itself. When both backups do finally match, it moves on to the next step in its checking sequence.

Then it will boot up happily.

It will run through a checklist of heaps of things as it boots up. The console will display a countdown or count up of numbers,.
If it ever hangs, or freezes, the number at which it stops, identifies the process it was checking, when it decided it needed to stop. That's where you look to solve the obstruction or issue.

You'll need the service manual - it was available in plenty of places - about a 680 page, 30 meg file.

Ideally after bootup, it will identify that it's been adulterated and ask for confirmation of various things.
The it will want you to do things in a certain order.

Hope that helps.