• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L25500 higher than previous head failure rates

jkdbjj

Quick question, off topic a bit.
On my Mutoh we have a slide over flat piece that holds the edges of material down. Of course on our HP, it is not there, but would be a welcome addition for things like perf.

Anyone make shift something here, or hear of HP offering it on future models?

Suz

Scotchbrite,
When I spoke with HP yesterday, Tech I worked with also told me it's a good idea to add a gutter (with a print of all the colors) to each print if you can, he explained that what this does is keeps all the jets firing, so less chance they'll close up when vacuum is created during when machine is shut down and/or started up. Also, he said the new firmware update will allow more shut down time, which would also help prevent head failures.

We purchased the L26500 a few weeks ago, and we've blown through 4 heads I think; I've lost track now. So far HP has warranted them. Last time it happened they had me make some changes, primarily add a gutter to all of our prints and install the latest firmware.

ProWraps

we get a ton more of the error lately that says the printer randomly needs to be shut down in the middle of prints too. i think its from overheating etc.

typically this is followed immediately by a l/lc head is bad error upon restart.

this never happened until the new firmware was installed.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Noticed today...for the first time a "soft" banding....on IJ 180 CV3 in the deep blues.
Heat at 60 Cure at 100 8 pass Bidi.

HulkSmash

we get a ton more of the error lately that says the printer randomly needs to be shut down in the middle of prints too. i think its from overheating etc.

typically this is followed immediately by a l/lc head is bad error upon restart.

this never happened until the new firmware was installed.

um, same here. My **** is always getting errors in the middle of prints. Now we're having an issue where anything green at the start of a print... is red...

also sometimes there's a thin random line (darker) through the middle of my prints.. looks like a pinch of some sort... weird.

Desert_Signs

Now I'm afraid to swap my oldest head. :omg:

That one head has fired almost 2.5 gallons of ink. I have a couple over 5000ml.

Attachments

• IMG_20120626_105950.jpg
    IMG_20120626_105950.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 116

ProWraps

um, same here. My **** is always getting errors in the middle of prints. Now we're having an issue where anything green at the start of a print... is red...

also sometimes there's a thin random line (darker) through the middle of my prints.. looks like a pinch of some sort... weird.

heads are drying out. you have to print the bands on the side or gutters or whatever your rip calls it.

your blues will start to do it too. its a heat issue. again, something that never started until the new firmware. heads are running hot due to it being summer and what ever they did in the new firmware.

Scotchbrite

No comment
Man I'm afraid to jinx myself and seriously knocking on wood, but since adding the gutter, increasing the number of passes, and lowering the heat down 10° we haven't had head failure trouble.

Suz

Scotchbrite, :goodpost:

Good to know that you think adding the gutter, increasing passes, and lowering heat 10 percent is helping. I'll have to remember to do that on each print.

This little gutter could always be added to the part of a print that becomes the folded over hem on a banner. For posters and other stuff though, you would have to give up some some of your print space. I'm always doing a very tight layout, hate the wasted materials if you know what I mean!

However, if it saves my printheads, then giving up the space for the gutter is worth doing! What a hassle to have your printheads fail. Hoping for HP to fix this problem with another firmware update!

Man I'm afraid to jinx myself and seriously knocking on wood, but since adding the gutter, increasing the number of passes, and lowering the heat down 10° we haven't had head failure trouble.