• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lame excuses for not getting paid

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
We all deal with late and non-payments. Thankfully I don't have too many. I would post a few but want to avoid upsetting anyone who could be reading this as I am not anonymous

So what is the worst excuse you have ever received for not getting paid at all or on time?

HulkSmash

We all deal with late and non-payments. Thankfully I don't have too many. I would post a few but want to avoid upsetting anyone who could be reading this as I am not anonymous

So what is the worst excuse you have ever received for not getting paid at all or on time?

"Trying to decide on whether to pay by check or CC" is the most recent...

I have over 18,000 outstanding in unpaid invoice for the past couple weeks...
I think i'll spend tomorrow making phone calls.. thanks for the reminder.

qmr55

Not quite an excuse for not paying a bill, more of a way getting around paying a bill....

but we had a guy who changed his phone number, not once, but twice! Yes, he did finally pay but damn was he a difficult guy to hunt down!

qmr55

Oh, and we once got "the bank we bank with got robbed."

Yeah, don't bank robberies usually make the news? You'd think so.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Years ago, I was doing work for this advertising agency. I knew the guy, so I wasn't worried about the money.

Finished the job, got paid and the check bounced.

I called the girl in charge of payables. She said, Oh, let me work on it and I'll get back to you later today. You'll probably have to stop by and pick the check up at the end of the day.

Well, I was over that way around lunchtime, so I went in and asked for my new check. My friend asked why and I told him it bounced, he said......WHAT ?? We have over 1//4 million dollars in that account, let me call Sandi. He called and got no answer in her office. He needed time to figure this one out, so he gave me a personal check and that was that.

Later, was notified that I might be needed to testify. Seems my showing up a few hours early stopped her getaway. They found her going into the Allentown Airport about 1/2 hour before her flight was to leave..... the country. She was being held for embezzling something like 1.75 million dollars. Over the previous 12 months or so, she had set up fake accounts, vendors and whatever else you can do with that much authority and no one checking you and she kept the business afloat while she kept pouring money into her fake accounts. The day I called her, she had the phone [her extension] forwarded to her house and had called in sick. I remember telling Dave, I heard birds in the background and he said she had two pet fancy birds at home. There was never gonna be a check waiting for me that day. All that morning, she was busy transferring all her fake accounts into her account and was cashing everything in.

Too bad I showed up..... I'm always raining on someone's bright sunny day..... I just love life. :rock-n-roll:

Oh, not to mention, this little scheme of hers put my friend out of business and about 10 other people out of a job immediately. I'm lucky his check didn't bounce to me.

I have other good ones, but I'll save them for further down the line.

J

john1

"I been so busy" is the most common, People who don't know how to manage their time and prioritize tasks.

royster13

I just sent out a "Happy Anniversary" card to my oldest A/R account....It is the only unpaid amount from 2011......

2B

there is countless lists.

one of the ones that comes to mind
"that employee did not have authorization to make purchases, so why should I pay?"

even though the "unauthorized" employee had an official work order with PO#

TheSnowman

Eric, how do you not get paid!? Don't you make EVERYONE give you a card to keep on file like me? I am actually trying to figure out how to collect on a job from last week that the guy keeps saying "I need more and more" but he hasn't paid for the first thing yet that was $600. I think he'll pay up before I do anything else.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
I had a long time customer give me the dimensions for some black aluminum signs (8" x 96"). I find a new vendor in a bad part of town that can cut the sheet for me and spend about 2 hours there and back to pick them up. Call to tell him they are ready and he says they are the wrong size and he can't use them. Two years later they are still sitting in the shop.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
"We have other, more important, obligations"....

Suffice to say that there is now a receivership notice hanging in his window and vultures circling overhead. I'm so glad I put him on COD several years ago.

JB

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Eric, how do you not get paid!? Don't you make EVERYONE give you a card to keep on file like me? I am actually trying to figure out how to collect on a job from last week that the guy keeps saying "I need more and more" but he hasn't paid for the first thing yet that was $600. I think he'll pay up before I do anything else.

I have a few that pay by check or many use paypal. For some I do the job and bill them afterwards. They can be slow to pay or in some cases not at all.

royster13

Eric, how do you not get paid!? Don't you make EVERYONE give you a card to keep on file like me?

How are you able to comply with all the rules about keeping card numbers on file?....If you have the ability to retrieve a complete cc# you are probably in violation of PCI DSS guidelines......Now you probably will not care, but if at some point your client reports you for running their card on file, you are subject ot a fine and may have your merchant account seized or cancelled....And few businesses can run without a merchant account.....

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
How are you able to comply with all the rules about keeping card numbers on file?....If you have the ability to retrieve a complete cc# you are probably in violation of PCI DSS guidelines......Now you probably will not care, but if at some point your client reports you for running their card on file, you are subject ot a fine and may have your merchant account seized or cancelled....And few businesses can run without a merchant account.....

I have gotten conflicting info regarding this. I am the only one with access to the cards. I know that if I have to call the customer for every job or they have to call me i would have to raise prices significantly. Not worth it for under $20 jobs. i tried this before and most customers were very annoyed about it and said "just keep it on file". I have a few customers that order almost every day.

I guess the only time someone would have a problem with my billing the card, is if I were to do a shoddy job and they refused to pay and i charged them anyway

fmg

I had an odd one yesterday.
I am owed $xxxx amount by one of my customers.He wants to sue me owing me money cos ????? I really don't know why
Talk about bipolar

thinksigns

SnowFlake

When I did the survey for my PCI compliance, I told them that I do keep customers credit card #s on file, when they ask me to, in a password protected database. I was determined to be in compliance.

SignProPlus-Chip

When doing work for another company as a sub contractor I was told I would receive payment for the work I did once they were paid for their project. Funny thing though, that company was paid a 50% deposit for a job worth tens of thousands of dollars, and they made me wait for my payment which was under a grand.

I have a new rule, when I deliver custom work to you you hand me a check or CC or I turn around and walk right out the door...no exceptions.

FYI - It's perfectly legal to keep client CC #s on file as long as it's in a protected database. Something as simple as Quickbooks with a login is sufficient to be in compliance.

neato

Guess I'm pretty fortunate. All my customers are great about this.

I did sell some screen printing equipment to a guy stupidly letting him make payments. Never again. That was almost 4 years ago and he still owes me $1500. I'm never going to see it. I just decided to let it go instead of letting it eat me up inside. I still have dreams of finding the check in my mailbox someday. He had lots of excuses, but then just stopped responding to me.

Not sure how some people can sleep at night.

strypguy

Here's a good one

Worst Excuse:

My husband is out of work and I have cancer. Both of which were false. What upsets me most is I have two family members that have fought cancer since 2009 and this sorry human being uses it as an excuse to get out of paying. But they had enough money to buy a new camaro convertible!!!
True Story......I also got paid after I sent many many bills with the word Past due in bright red stampings all over the envelopes!!

John