• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lame excuses for not getting paid

TheSnowman

Guess I'm pretty fortunate. All my customers are great about this.

I did sell some screen printing equipment to a guy stupidly letting him make payments. Never again. That was almost 4 years ago and he still owes me $1500. I'm never going to see it. I just decided to let it go instead of letting it eat me up inside. I still have dreams of finding the check in my mailbox someday. He had lots of excuses, but then just stopped responding to me.

Not sure how some people can sleep at night.

I'd been meaning to tell you thanks for that equipment. I'm making all kinds of money!

slipperyfrog

"Our shop dog got sick last night and puked/sh*t all over our accounting desk. All of our checks were ruined. Could you please wait until we get new checks to pay you? Our bank said it takes 3-4 weeks to get new checks."

That one took the cake in my book.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
"Our shop dog got sick last night and puked/sh*t all over our accounting desk. All of our checks were ruined. Could you please wait until we get new checks to pay you? Our bank said it takes 3-4 weeks to get new checks."

That one took the cake in my book.

Dogs get that way when they're made to crunch numbers. That's why we never let our dog near the accounting department.

JB

letterman7

"We don't have enough in escrow to pay the balance yet" was one I got a year ago. Those people are still ordering from me and are now on a full deposit status. Only got one small order since then... and only paid 1/2 up front.

cdiesel

I've got one that's been turned over to our attorney.. $8k for some wholesale work we did for another sign shop back in April. We had a decent relationship up to that point, so I wasn't worried about it. When I called him after 30 days past, he said we needed to go have a beer and talk about it, cause he didn't make any money on the job. I told him there was nothing to talk about and to send payment ASAP.

After receiving no response at all since May, I sent it to our attorney's office. Finally got a response from the letter, to which he demanded that I produce a signed contract stating he agreed to the pricing and he would gladly pay. Also got a threat to countersue me for "improper billing practices" if I take him to court.

Did I mention that we did this job as a total favor to the guy, making $0 on the job, literally printing 24 hours a day for 3 days to save his a$$ on a huge job for his biggest customer, that we also do work for? Gotta love it.

visual800

what sign?

we never received invoice

We need a photocopy of your ss# to process(although we dont tell you that)

We need proof of liability insurance to pay (even though the job is done)

the person that handles that is out of town

That person was not authorized to order signage

We have not been paid from OUR vendor yet (yall saw that one first hand on here)

All in all they are all pathetic excuses. I have always said you could swap 500 emails back and forth discussing a job but the one time you email an invoice the email is lost or didnt go thru

I pay my bills and I pay who i owe. it what your supposed to do. Not paying me leaves a bad taste in my mouth...GOOD POST!

Bigdawg

Just Me
Us: Your account is wayyyy past due. You need to pay the balance for you sign

Them: But we decided we really don't like the sign.

Us: It's exactly as you requested.

Them: Yeah but it wasn't really what we wanted. You are the professionals. You should have known that.

Us: You approved all the proofs. How about I'll send someone over to uninstall the sign (it's a lobby sign).

Them: No!!! We already paid half.

Us: Them maybe we can just have him remove half the sign...

signage

Us: You approved all the proofs. How about I'll send someone over to uninstall the sign (it's a lobby sign).

Them: No!!! We already paid half.

Us: Them maybe we can just have him remove half the sign...

Stacy I would have said that half paid for the installation and removal trips and wasted materials!

Jillbeans

• I forgot my checkbook
• We lost the invoice
• My boyfriend doesn't like the sign
• I'm not giving you the insurance check because my wife doesn't like the lettering
(autobody guy, my client's wife designed the lettering)
• I've been sick
• we don't do anything without a PO# (written clearly on my invoice)
• needs approved by corporate
• the sign is tooo smalllll (after the size was spec'd on every piece of info including the signed proposal)
etc etc etc etc
JUST F*CKING PAY ME
Love....Jill

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I had a small supplier call me up one day with a "your account is 125 days past due" ... I immediately said, really, we ordered and paid for supplies 4 times since then, are you sure? ... after 20 minutes of file searching, we got an invoice faxed that we never received ... a backordered item. I apologized even though we never got it ... Told them we'll get a check out to them right a way and thought we were done with it, 2 days later, check was sent out ... they called the 3rd day with 'you're account is past due' crap again ... told them check was sent out previous day and this thunder **** tried yelling at me about financial responsibility ... and I tore into her with a long *** reaming about how as the accounts receivable whatever she should know when accounts are nearing their 90 day past due mark let alone noticed when one order wasn't paid but had 4 others after that paid that are 10 times that amount. her excuse 'well we have thousands of accounts, and i can't keep track of that' ... i was quiet for a couple seconds, she yelled 'WELL?!?!' ... and last we communicated was a polite, 'If we are amongst thousands of accounts, and get this response ... then I guess we no longer need to do business with you." and hung up. called our sales rep, told him the deal ... last I heard she was no longer working there, and we no longer buy from them. also should note, accounts weren't in the thousands.

sometimes there are honest mix ups so if they say 'Oh, I must not have gotten an invoice or might have misplaced it' I believe them the first time ... after that ... no.

best line i heard for not getting paid was a month after I did the panel van graphics ... guy said 'the van is repo'd, so I can't pay you back since my wallet was in there'

also had a dude order something completely custom fabricated and wanted it with 2 day delivery ... made him sign a paper saying he agreed on the 2 day over sized delivery charges and made him pay for the item up front ... shipping cost more than the item ... he said I should refund him the amount he already paid since he didn't think shipping would be that much. his excuse ... 'i lost my job' ... he didn't. after 6 months and many attempts to collect, i told him his deposit is now forfeit, someone came in the shop, saw it in the corner bought it a week later for the cost of the shipping. made me happy, haven't heard or seen him since.

GeorgeT

It's in the mail. That excuse works for a couple of days, not a month. No letter take a month to get to me.

SD&F

How about......I'm sorry, I don't have any money.
I like Gino's the best. This happened to a close friend of mine. I went into go over his books and found that his accounting girl was doing the exact same thing. We prosecuted and she and her husband who both worked for him got a fine.
They haven't paid a cent.

Pat Whatley

"A salesman from another sign shop took a look at your lettering and said they'd have done it for $150 less so we ordered it from them. We've been meaning to call you to tell you to come take the lettering down and bring our deposit back."

This was 45 days after I'd lettered the windows.

kanini

"I need more printouts of our brochure (hands over the old brochure) but with a new business name since we are probably going bankrupt next week... Could I have 500 of these printed now?"
At least he was honest. When I asked about an old invoice still unpaid his reply was "Don't worry, we should be able to pay you since we are not going to pay any taxes now when we realize where it's going..." Me, worried about payments? Noo... =P

TXFB.INS

"A salesman from another sign shop took a look at your lettering and said they'd have done it for $150 less so we ordered it from them. We've been meaning to call you to tell you to come take the lettering down and bring our deposit back."

This was 45 days after I'd lettered the windows.

where is the brick? instant letter removal!