• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminate Nightmare on Perf

Gangnam

I cannot get a laminate on perf that I can see through. I've tried Valspar spray from Lowes, Superfrog frog juice, lamex 2 mil optically clear premium cast PVC gloss cold laminate, and two other lams we have in house. Nothing is working and it's driving me crazy.

wildside

oracal 291 is optically clear, use it all the time

are you laminating too soon and it is picking up the ink in the holes?

ProColorGraphics

I have used the Briteline stuff from Grimco and it worked for me. I would only recommend it for flat windows though. Doesn't curve very well.

CS-SignSupply-TT

OPTICALLY CLEAR LAMINATES available from CiberSupply

I cannot get a laminate on perf that I can see through. I've tried Valspar spray from Lowes, Superfrog frog juice, lamex 2 mil optically clear premium cast PVC gloss cold laminate, and two other lams we have in house. Nothing is working and it's driving me crazy.

Gangnam, CiberSupply here (metro Atlanta). We distribute General Formulations (aka GF) and we have their three (3) optically clear laminates. #105, #106, and #115

Please let me know how I may help.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps

Whoa...whoa...Valspar spray, that you can't see through? You aren't spraying it on the perf AFTER you install it on the window are you? If so...that's your problem. :)
Other than that...you should be able to see through the perf after installed.
Or am I missing something?

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Also, the optically clear lam is VERY thin and loading and unloading it onto the Laminator for one window job is a pain in the butt.

Patentagosse

I'm a long time user of Oracal 290F but recently got a roll of their 297 which is also optically clear but thicker. It helps reduce the squeegee strokes. 'Work as fine as 290F.

Gabagoo, the 290F is like $15 more than regular 290G at my source so that's not worth getting both rolls. I use 290F for ALL my window perf. & wrap jobs (same film only the release liner is different... paper vs. polyester). 'Never had a single issue about this selection.

Gangnam

Whoa...whoa...Valspar spray, that you can't see through? You aren't spraying it on the perf AFTER you install it on the window are you? If so...that's your problem. :)
Other than that...you should be able to see through the perf after installed.
Or am I missing something?

Spraying before install, letting it sit for 2 hours, still cloudy :/

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
How can a sprayed clear on perf be hard to see through?

If its a spray then it would not be in the holes once applied. In other words nothing but open air in the holes is hard to see through??? :help

Gangnam

How can a sprayed clear on perf be hard to see through?

If its a spray then it would not be in the holes once applied. In other words nothing but open air in the holes is hard to see through??? :help
I'm spraying the perf while it is still on the paper backing. The idea is fill in the holes to prevent moisture and dirt build up in the holes correct?

CS-SignSupply-TT

After applying the spray lam and letting it dry, preferably overnight, the perf should be ready to install. When you remove the backing/liner, the spray laminate that adhered to the backing/liner should be removed because it has adhered to the backing/liner.

Circleville Signs

I am 100% serious. I NEVER laminate perf unless the job specs it (here in Ohio, that is a very rare occurance).

Laminating perf does not provide enough protection to warrant the cost, and the fact that it makes it difficult to see ALL the time, rather than just when it rains, makes it more hassle than it's worth.

If you MUST laminate, please understand that your client simply won't be able to see very well out of it, ever.